I need Help on taking my whey protein

OllieCallan

Awards
I go gym Monday to Thursday, each day I work different muscles.
Monday- Bicep/ Tricep
Tuesday- Shoulders
Wednesday-Chest/ abs
Thursday- Back
Sat- Leg

So I need help on taking my Whey protein. I don't know when to take it and how much to take. I read somewhere to take it 15-30 mins before my workout and stright after my workout. But it doesnt say how much, so if you guys can help me out. Ill appreciate it. Thanks!

Ollie

lifted67

lifted67

Awards
  • Established
Just take it whenever, meal timing has miniscule effects compared to actual over all diet for the day.

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Everyone is different. I tend to take my shake post workout, usually 2 scoops which is generally between 40-50 gms of protein.

Do you have a protein picked out?

OllieCallan

Awards
so if i take it before and after how many scoops would i take? like 1 scoop before my workout and 2 after?

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
so if i take it before and after how many scoops would i take? like 1 scoop before my workout and 2 after?
Let me ask you this
Do you meet protein intake in the 24 hour period from whole food?
How many grams of protein are you eating?

If you answer yes to 1 and know how much protein you are eating in #2 the need for a protein is minimal especially if you are getting enough.

NOW.. whey protein per serving is effective and convenient because it is portable and can be used in many fashions (Shakes, yogurt, baking) and flexible to use.

When you need to use it? like Lifted said, at anytime of the day, but whole food should remain superior before using a powder which is voided of nutrients and heavily processed. Pressed at a meeting at work? A protein powder can benefit you here.. Having trouble reaching protein intake? Protein powder would help you here.

If you are falling short 30-50g of protein and you need to SUPPLEMENT 1-2 scoops to reach that amount then yes a whey protein can help you. Remember this is a supplement to help support your diet and dietary needs, not a fix it all.

I personally keep use pretty minimal i rather eat my protein, maximum i use is 1-1.5 scoops per day in a shake, baked goods, or mostly mixed in yogurt to make a pudding. I can use it anytime of the day depending on my schedule.

OllieCallan

Awards
Everyone is different. I tend to take my shake post workout, usually 2 scoops which is generally between 40-50 gms of protein.

Do you have a protein picked out?
Yes I have gold standard 100% Whey protein

OllieCallan

Awards
Let me ask you this

If you answer yes to 1 and know how much protein you are eating in #2 the need for a protein is minimal especially if you are getting enough.

NOW.. whey protein per serving is effective and convenient because it is portable and can be used in many fashions (Shakes, yogurt, baking) and flexible to use.

When you need to use it? like Lifted said, at anytime of the day, but whole food should remain superior before using a powder which is voided of nutrients and heavily processed. Pressed at a meeting at work? A protein powder can benefit you here.. Having trouble reaching protein intake? Protein powder would help you here.

If you are falling short 30-50g of protein and you need to SUPPLEMENT 1-2 scoops to reach that amount then yes a whey protein can help you. Remember this is a supplement to help support your diet and dietary needs, not a fix it all.

I personally keep use pretty minimal i rather eat my protein, maximum i use is 1-1.5 scoops per day in a shake, baked goods, or mostly mixed in yogurt to make a pudding. I can use it anytime of the day depending on my schedule.
To be honest, i dont know how much protein I intake. it differs. And thanks for the help!!

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Use proteins to meet macro goal. The best thing is to use a macro calculator and make the adjustment for your goal. Then track and see where you need to use protein.

OllieCallan

Awards
Use proteins to meet macro goal. The best thing is to use a macro calculator and make the adjustment for your goal. Then track and see where you need to use protein
Ok thanks, I used it and it says
Protein: 160g per day
Fats: 59g per day
Carbs: 240 per day

So if I make a plan, Pre workout- 40g
Post workout - 40g
Before bed- 40g
Morning- 40g
Does that sound good?

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Ok thanks, I used it and it says
Protein: 160g per day
Fats: 59g per day
Carbs: 240 per day

So if I make a plan, Pre workout- 40g
Post workout - 40g
Before bed- 40g
Morning- 40g
Does that sound good?
That's fine as long as not just from shakes.

JamesReef

JamesReef

Awards
Let me ask you this

Great post. I enjoy mixing my protein with greek yogurt, usually 1 scoop does the trick. But like you mentioned, I would much rather eat some meat or a whole food protein source than drink hella shakes a day

Fat2Strong

Awards
I drink one shake per day. Immediately after my pm workout. Everything else I get from food.

808LIFE

Awards
Nothing beats "Real" food! Protein shakes should only supplement the solid diet, and imo only be used after a workout. Take it from someone who's worked in the supplement business for almost 20 years! Most of the supps out there are garbage. Eat 5-6 solid meals and train like a beast.