BCAA / EAAs? Required or a waste?

T

Toff

Awards
  • Established
So Im keeping the diet in check where possible, trying to consume enough protein, got the creatine on the go and pump products for orkout fun

BCAA/EAAs? Are they a waste of money?

People say they recover quicker but Im recovering just fine after workouts?

paul56778

paul56778

Awards
  • Established
I have been using them for past 2 years and noticed better energy levels and slightly improved recovery, but I feel are not needed if protein intake is adequate, I have dropped them from my cut from this week based on this video:

[video=youtube;9T8WBOyp3Ws]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T8WBOyp3Ws[/video]

paul56778

paul56778

Awards
  • Established
I will drop them for next couple of weeks intra workout to see if fat loss speeds up whilst I am running ketogenic.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
So Im keeping the diet in check where possible, trying to consume enough protein, got the creatine on the go and pump products for orkout fun

BCAA/EAAs? Are they a waste of money?

People say they recover quicker but Im recovering just fine after workouts?
like Paul said,
are you meeting proper protein intake in the 24 hour period?
BCAA's and free forms of protein, so if you are not they can help assist you with reaching your protein intake. They would also be very beneficial to use before a fasted workout like martin explains here on his leangains website. (Fasted Training)

http://www.leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html

If you are meeting protein intake, prior to fasted training as above or dosed between meals spaced 4-6 hours apart as a bolus would be the best way to utilize them (but can be costly).

http://www.biolayne.com/wp-content/uploads/Norton-J-Ag-Food-Ind-Hi-Tech-2008.pdf
http://www.slideshare.net/biolayne/optimal-protein-intake-and-meal-frequency-to-support-maximal-protein-synthesis-and-muscle-mass

paul56778

paul56778

Awards
  • Established
I am currently saving my Xtend perform which has worked great for energy and endurance and regular Xtend for my Lean Bulking phase starting in November, i will also go with the route of mega-dosing BCAA's e.g. up to 6 scoops of Xtend perform daily and 4 regular Xtend consumed pre, intra and post workout as well as with breakfast and last meals.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I am currently saving my Xtend perform which has worked great for energy and endurance and regular Xtend for my Lean Bulking phase starting in November, i will also go with the route of mega-dosing BCAA's e.g. up to 6 scoops of Xtend perform daily and 4 regular Xtend consumed pre, intra and post workout as well as with breakfast and last meals.
There is no need for 6 scoops of Xtend Perform. Even on the study on trained athletes 2 scoops was plenty to get the benefits from the product, and the perks from Peak02. 1Fast400 has some more data coming in the future even at a lower dose and the perks from the ingredient.
I would just keep the Perform to Pre/Intra and then use the regular xtend for your other doses if you plan to go that route, would be a bit more cost effective.

Rndmher

Rndmher

Awards
What are EAAs?
Eaa is essential amino acid and bcaa are branched chain amino acid

As for ops question I agree with what everyone is saying they MAY increase endurance but if you have a good protein intake they're not really necessary. Another supplement industry gimmick for a quick buck.

M

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Unless you train fasted or do high frequency training, I'd say they're not really worth it.

mikelly1107

mikelly1107

Awards
  • Established

Lol @6 scoops of perform hahaha listen to the solution man youd be paying a pretty penny for all that BCAA dosing when the real advantage of perform over even normal xtend is the peak o2. But by all means do you brother just my .02$

paul56778

paul56778

Awards
  • Established
Lol @6 scoops of perform hahaha listen to the solution man youd be paying a pretty penny for all that BCAA dosing when the real advantage of perform over even normal xtend is the peak o2. But by all means do you brother just my .02$
2 scoops of Xtend perform intra workout for Peak 02 and 2 scoops on rest days and then all other dosing from regular.

Thanks for advise, i will be saving all BCAA's i have now in storage until i use them for my lean bulk starting in Nov.

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
As ma70 said with fasted training they are super beneficial. If you are hitting your protein goals and eat before you train, they probably useless

123abcabcabc

123abcabcabc

Awards
I'd rather have fast absorbing carbs than BCAA's during intraworkout. Just my 2 cents.

Rndmher

Rndmher

Awards
I know your gonna go against me and tell me how it's the most amazing thing and cures cancer & made you bench 300 more lbs BUT I honestly feel like it's all snake oil meant to get your money. You want and insulin spike and quick carbs like that save your money eat a white bagel with jam after your workout. I haven't done hbcd but I have dextrose, waxy , vitago. It's all bs

M

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I know your gonna go against me and tell me how it's the most amazing thing and cures cancer & made you bench 300 more lbs BUT I honestly feel like it's all snake oil meant to get your money. You want and insulin spike and quick carbs like that save your money eat a white bagel with jam after your workout. I haven't done hbcd but I have dextrose, waxy , vitago. It's all bs
Depends on your kind of training. For example, I don't care what you or anyone else on this board says about the Intra-HBCD+EAA combination I take. I've noticed it helps with recovery versus BCAAs versus completely nothing because:

1) I train with high frequency
2) I train without food in the AM

Not everyone is the same as you, and a bagel intra-workout won't really help much with recovery.

123abcabcabc

123abcabcabc

Awards
My workouts are 1 hour long. I'd rather have the conveniency of sipping HBCD from my cup in between sets. And yeah nice try attacking my character with that "300lb bench increase cancer curing" statement. Ad hominems are evidently a Freudian slip, which makes me believe you are not only skeptical, but incompetent.

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
My workouts are 1 hour long. I'd rather have the conveniency of sipping HBCD from my cup in between sets. And yeah nice try attacking my character with that "300lb bench increase cancer curing" statement. Ad hominems are evidently a Freudian slip, which makes me believe you are not only skeptical, but incompetent.
He may not train hard enough to see benefits.....

ThorBara

ThorBara

Awards
HBCD (bulk or glycofuse for flavour) + eaa/bcaa mix or peptopro. That's the best combo for recovery in my opinion.

Zoomie33240

Zoomie33240

Awards
  • Established
I saw minimal improvements with endurance while drinking BCAAs intra workout. My protein intake is always on point though so go figure.

I noticed faster fat loss without them while cutting. Long story short, I save my money now and use it on food instead. I really have noticed an awesome difference by sipping a HBCD type product intra (while bulking). I keep my pumps much better and endurance is noticeably better. But I do really high volume/high intensity so take that for what it's worth

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Oh no, not Jerry Ward....

Protein = All BCAA and EAA. If you eat some in a reasonable time before a workout, it'll be broken down and available during training. Same thing for carbs (Lactose in Milk along with your Oats, Oikos Triple Zero Greek Yogurt and Grape-Nuts, Fat Free Refried Beans <--- my PrWO meal). Lifting weights does jack all to deplete Glycogen anyway - you (the average 90 minute/day lifter) have enough in your Muscle and Liver +100. Barring gastro issues, I think all the different types of carbs are a "concentrating 90% on the 1%" type of thing when it comes to real world performance.

Now.... that doesn't mean an Intra is a waste even if you eat though. Why? Well, I'm one of those "Just let me answer one email" guys before gym time... and 2.5 hours later I finally start warming up. Am I going to eat again? Nope. So it really depends on how you eat and train. If you can 100% hit your main working set 60-90 minutes after your PrWO meal, then they are a waste. If not though, they may have some merit.

Even then, they aren't "Game Changers" IMO - I've failed lifts on both water and Intra's with a bunch of fancy "Ergogens" in them. Test them yourself - try some Vanilla Whey/Casein in Gatorade vs. an Intra on the same lifts back to back. Cancel out natural progression (i.e 1 more rep or 2.5lbs added, etc...) and see what the difference is. Experimenting is fun. Spending $30 once, could save you from spending $30 for the rest of your lifting career ;)

Rndmher

Rndmher

Awards
How's that an ad hominem? I didn't attack you personally? I attacked that you would think that it causes some dramatic effect. If it would have been an ad hominem I would have said something like "your one of those weak b*tches who carries around a blender ball with God knows what in it, thinks it makes them huge, and can't bench his own bodyweight." that's attacking you not your position.

M

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
How's that an ad hominem? I didn't attack you personally? I attacked that you would think that it causes some dramatic effect. If it would have been an ad hominem I would have said something like "your one of those weak b*tches who carries around a blender ball with God knows what in it, thinks it makes them huge, and can't bench his own bodyweight." that's attacking you not your position.
People here can get pretty pissed off quickly, so you need to be careful how you phrase things. Just keep in mind everyone has different styles of training and circumstances. I don't think BCAAs, intra carbs, EAAs, or any combination of both will be of benefit to people who do bro splits where they blast a muscle once a week.

S

sareea

Awards
I am confused now...
Should I toss my BCAA's product in the toilet now ? (I don't like to keep things).
I don't think I will have time for high frequency training any soon...
Or should I keep them for bulk time ? ( for me it is all year round :D )

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I am confused now...
Should I toss my BCAA's product in the toilet now ? (I don't like to keep things).
BCAA's are not as needed on a bulking phase. you are getting plenty of amino's and protein from whole food. More important in a dieting phase when calories are very restricted and muscle loss can occur much faster.
Again.. the best way to dose them would be.

BCAA's may benefit you for fasted AM Training dosed pre-workout or as a bolus between meals 4-6 hours apart

http://www.biolayne.com/wp-content/uploads/Norton-J-Ag-Food-Ind-Hi-Tech-2008.pdf
http://www.slideshare.net/biolayne/optimal-protein-intake-and-meal-frequency-to-support-maximal-protein-synthesis-and-muscle-mass

Or refer to my first post again.

S

SBIK

Awards
I am confused now...
No send them to me!

machinehead

machinehead

Awards
  • Established
Even then, they aren't "Game Changers" IMO - I've failed lifts on both water and Intra's with a bunch of fancy "Ergogens" in them.
Quotes and adjective suggest ephedrine was not featured in the ergogens sample :D

I am confused now...
Keep them to flavor your carbs of choice during workout: HBCD, maltodextrin, dextrose

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Quotes and adjective suggest ephedrine was not featured in the ergogens sample :D
Actually, that constant was kept the same! LOL - 30mg Pre :D There's only so much pills and powders can do at 90% over-optimistic calculated 1RM for reps :)

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I love amino products and use them weather in a bulk or a cut....I started using bcaa's intraworkout years ago for a few months, didn't think they were doing much so stopped and that's when I noticed a huge decrease in endurance and overall energy in my training, ever since then I've always used them

I don't see a need to get crazy specific with dosing either unless its strictly for recovery....I've notice that having even a simple 5g's of bcaa is better than having just water, so if you want to do 10g's bcaa's or bcaa/eaa or any of the more complete intraworkout drinks then even better

plus having them on hand to add to a meal that might not be the highest in protein content to maximize protein synthesis is always a good idea, I know I've got to a point where I had 2 eggs left in my house, add a glass of bcaa's with the 2 eggs and get some extra benefits

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Some will say it's a waste of money as they do not give profound benefits. I would say it's a call you have to make. They are still BCAAs which leucine can do some good things. Without your really not going to notice the difference.

F

Fat2Strong

Awards
Well this type of question is always tough. I mean there are people in the "no supplements are worth it, Food only" camp and others that say supplements are super helpful. I personally love using BCAAs intra workout. I have been using Amino Beyond currently and I get very very good results from it. I recover between very strenous sets much quicker and get a great pump (from their addition of Citrulline Im guessing). I personally swear by BCAA intra workout but I do not use them when I am doing CBL just because I fear insulin spike.

Chefdeez

Chefdeez

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The bottom line is 90% of people rely too heavily on supplements and don't focus on what ACTUALLY MAKES A DIFFERENCE. BCAAs may help some people but if you train and diet correctly you might as well be drinking water.

StanleyG

StanleyG

Awards
I think bcaa's make the difference one you reach a certain level. That being said most that use them arent benefiting.I feel that that you have to be in excellent condition to begin with if bcaas are going to do anything you notice.

Chefdeez

Chefdeez

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think bcaa's make the difference one you reach a certain level. That being said most that use them arent benefiting.I feel that that you have to be in excellent condition to begin with if bcaas are going to do anything you notice.
If you eat enough protein there is literally 0 need for additional BCAAs. You might as well just give me your money instead of purchasing more. Don't believe everything these companies tell you.

luelinks

luelinks

Awards
  • Established
neither one are a waste and I truly love and use them. I use BCAA and EAA intra-workout. For BCAA alone I personally go with 15g of it intra-workout.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I like the taste of dieselaid. Almost out though.