Why do you take glutamine?

51FTY

Awards
  • Established
Never taken it before. Should I be taking this as woman and someone who works out almost everyday? Can't find anything on here for my questions.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Never taken it before. Should I be taking this as woman and someone who works out almost everyday? Can't find anything on here for my questions.
How is your diet? Are you eating plenty of whole foods and meeting your protein intake?
If so you are most likely getting plenty of glutamine from whole foods and from Whey protein. Most chances are you won't need glutamine.
Glutamine is a very effective intestinal and immune system health compound. Even though most people claim it will be a necessity, its a far stretch to needing it due to how most people who watch their intake eat.

banjobounce

banjobounce

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Whenever I took it, it was for the stomach lining. Many say it is useless, but I saw a difference when using it. I would also use it in a 1:1 replacement for a certain amount of my carbs when trying to lean out. Always seemed to help in an isocaloric situation.

51FTY

Awards
  • Established
I eat very low carb and don't use whey or protein powder. Eat lots of oatmeal and brown rice. No diary, I'm lactose intolerant. Dairy makes me really tired and constipated.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I also am low carb and take it with a probiotic (Muscle Fiber). I can't say enough how much I believ. E it benefits my current diet, but I've never noticed much from glutamine before going low carb.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I eat very low carb and don't use whey or protein powder. Eat lots of oatmeal and brown rice. No diary, I'm lactose intolerant. Dairy makes me really tired and constipated.
Are your meeting protein intake ? Are you eating enough whole food to reach around 1g/lb if protein? If so you are probably getting plenty of glutamine as meat, eggs and other protein sources are abundant in glutamine

Have you ever considered and isolate or plant based protein powder if you are not getting enough protein? Would be a great supplement to assist your protein goals and needs

The Express 42

The Express 42

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
It can help but not enough to waste any money on it

csline

csline

Awards
  • Established
If your diet lacks it, consider it. If your wallet is scared of it, forget it. Does it hurt? Of course not

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
It's can be good for intestinal
Health. Recovery not so much.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Glutamine, has some benefits to it, but some will debate about its recovery benefits. When you take L-Alanine and attach it to glutamine, it greatly increases gluatmines ability to be absorbed which makes l-alanyl l-glutamine better than straight glutamine for recovery. Alanine’s attachment to Glutamine is due to its ability to improve the bioavailability and absorption of Glutamine, which otherwise glutamine would be degraded in the stomach before it could reach the intestines for absorption, thereby negating its recovery benefits.

Hoffman, J; L-alanyl-L-glutamine Ingestion Maintains Performance during a Competitive Basketball Game. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition 9.1 (2012)
Bowtell JL, et al. Effect of oral glutamine on whole body carbohydrate storage during recovery from exhaustive exercise. J Appl Physiol. (1999)
Some companies are making that switch. PowerMax XT is one of those. It is a daily ergogenic that does much more than increase recovery, also including increasing performance, strength, endurance and muscle fullness. The ingredients work together to achieve all of that. If recovery is your main goal, the full dose of creatine and COP will help that as well. For around a dollar a day, PowerMax XT is a great value.

If you're interested in this, we currently have a logging opportunity, linked below.

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/company-promotions/285547-three-loggers-needed.html

enraged_chris

Awards
I've used it in the past to help with stomach issues. Definitely helped a bit. Recovery, not so much, in any form of it I tried. If you have gut issues I'd say it's worth looking into. Or if you're worried about immune system stress acutely.

51FTY

Awards
  • Established
You don't need this for mood and dieting? I take liquid aminos. I dropped it for awhile and noticed a difference.

enraged_chris

Awards
Liquid aminos will consist of other aminos as well. Glutamine specifically isn't that useful for mood and dieting... unless you have stomach or immune issues. What else are in your liquid aminos? I'd definitely look into a powdered product... you will save a lot of money.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've been using 10gr in my intra drink since February. It's also with eaa/BCAA and recovery has been great but I haven't gotten sick at all this year. It plays a role in immune health and my digestion has been amazing (pushing about 4500 cals these days.

I take digestive and prebiotic health things also (more recently) for the price, I think it's worth it

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Glutamine, has some benefits to it, but some will debate about its recovery benefits. When you take L-Alanine and attach it to glutamine, it greatly increases gluatmines ability to be absorbed which makes l-alanyl l-glutamine better than straight glutamine for recovery. Alanine’s attachment to Glutamine is due to its ability to improve the bioavailability and absorption of Glutamine, which otherwise glutamine would be degraded in the stomach before it could reach the intestines for absorption, thereby negating its recovery benefits.

Some companies are making that switch. PowerMax XT is one of those. It is a daily ergogenic that does much more than increase recovery, also including increasing performance, strength, endurance and muscle fullness. The ingredients work together to achieve all of that. If recovery is your main goal, the full dose of creatine and COP will help that as well. For around a dollar a day, PowerMax XT is a great value.

If you're interested in this, we currently have a logging opportunity, linked below.

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/company-promotions/285547-three-loggers-needed.html
Very solid post, exactly why we couple it with L-alanine in Finish Line as our post recovery product.

I personally take in addition, 10g twice daily for irritable bowel syndrome/leaky gut syndrome.

Works very good for GI purposes.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Very solid post, exactly why we couple it with L-alanine in Finish Line as our post recovery product.

I personally take in addition, 10g twice daily for irritable bowel syndrome/leaky gut syndrome.

Works very good for GI purposes.
I love Finish Line. It is a product that does not get nearly enough love on any forum.

51FTY

Awards
  • Established
I bought some gaba capsules and took 1 before bed, instead of glutamine. Is gaba any good? It didn't make me tired after I took it.

51FTY

Awards
  • Established
I feel so hot since I woke up. Feeling like a heater on me. Usually my hands are freezing. Not today, I feel nauseas too.

compan

compan

Awards
I'd definitely recommend Glutamine for GI issues over muscle recovery as far as effectiveness goes.

sespress

Awards
I bought some gaba capsules and took 1 before bed, instead of glutamine. Is gaba any good? It didn't make me tired after I took it.
I've never really gotten much effect out of a straight GABA supplement. I use phenibut, which is great for sleep but you cannot take it perpetually because it is fairly addictive.

51FTY

Awards
  • Established
I messed up. I took l dopa and gaba together. I thought it was gaba making me feel hot and everything. Took just the l dopa, still really hot and hot hands.Ya I can't take l dopa anymore, doesn't work good because I take tyrosine. I think I'll try the gaba and drop l dopa.

51FTY

Awards
  • Established
I don't know anything about phenibut. Why is it addicting? What do you like about phenibut?