Use of Agmatine while on Blood Pressure Medicine

123abcabcabc

123abcabcabc

Awards
If one was prescribed Lisinopril to lower one's blood pressure, would taking Agmatine, or any NO booster, be detrimental to one's health? SWIM consulted with his/her PCP, which knew nothing of that matter.

Volvo140G

Volvo140G

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Are you actually asking for yourself?

123abcabcabc

123abcabcabc

Awards
I just want to know if it will cause problems with one's blood pressure, if already taking medicine for it.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
It may be time for a new doctor if they can't already tell you about it or don't atleast look into it for you..

Volvo140G

Volvo140G

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah man explain to him what it is and your concerns. Simple as that.

Nothing too taboo about agmatine. Tell him it's use, what it is, etc. It's not an anabolic substance or illegal drug.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Most doctors don't even know what agmatine is, nor what it does. I have a grandmother who is on opiate pain killers who was having issues that agmatine solved and I had to fight with the doctor and my family to get her on agmatine and now the nurses are all talking about it like it is some new discovery, not something with hundreds of studies.

According to examine.com, and my own personal experience, any reduction in BP from agmatine is transient and may last 10-20 minutes. My personal experience is it doesn't have much impact, but my bp isn't too bad to begin with. I wouldn't dose the agmatine WITH the lisinopril, and if you have high bp you should have a BP monitor anyway. My non-medical suggestion would be to dose the agmatine away from your lisinopril and then monitor your BP for a while after you take it. Measure it 10 minutes after, 30 minutes, 1 hour - just because the reduction is less than 20 minutes doesn't mean it will hit immediately. My bet, without having official medical knowledge, is that you should be fine.

Having said that, nitrates and lisinopril should always be used with extreme caution.

And here is an interesting study:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/472683_3

K

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
A doctor isn't going to approve someone taking any supplement while on a prescription medication if asked for advice. It isn't their job to be knowledgeable about supplements and wouldn't be able to safely advise on it since there is no regulation. So you are on your own.

In my experience, Agmatine is good for BP control for a short period of time when taken for a short period of time. However, I have experienced a moderate drop in baseline BP levels after long term use. Nothing significant, but it is there.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
A doctor isn't going to approve someone taking any supplement while on a prescription medication if asked for advice. It isn't their job to be knowledgeable about supplements and wouldn't be able to safely advise on it since there is no regulation. So you are on your own.

In my experience, Agmatine is good for BP control for a short period of time when taken for a short period of time. However, I have experienced a moderate drop in baseline BP levels after long term use. Nothing significant, but it is there.
Then why does every doctors office ask what supplements you're taking, if they don't know anything about them and won't give advice about them anyways? Serious question, I'm not being a douche. Lol

E

enraged_chris

Awards
It looks to only have a mild effect at lowering blood pressure, I wouldn't be too concerned. I would start with a very small dose and titrate up if you're that worried.

E

enraged_chris

Awards
Then why does every doctors office ask what supplements you're taking, if they don't know anything about them and won't give advice about them anyways? Serious question, I'm not being a douche. Lol
To check for obvious drug interactions but I wouldn't expect a doctor to know about every drug or pharmacist. Also most doctors will just say "don't take any supplement, they're not fda approved," I'm lucky enough to have a doctor who will discuss things with me.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
To check for obvious drug interactions but I wouldn't expect a doctor to know about every drug or pharmacist. Also most doctors will just say "don't take any supplement, they're not fda approved," I'm lucky enough to have a doctor who will discuss things with me.
True, it's always good to have that kind of Doctor. I just think it's weird that this guys doctor just said he didn't know anything about it and didn't look into it any further. If I was a doctor I would feel it is part of my responsibility to have a general knowledge of most popular supplements, FDA approved or not, or atleast find out about it for my patient. Is there liability issues if they recommend something not FDA approved or something?

E

enraged_chris

Awards
Yeah there actually can be liability issues if they, for example, recommended a specific product and there were issues. Honestly, being a doctor now, with malpractice insurance and the way our healthcare system is set up, is not some sort of dream job anymore.

K

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That actually isn't as common as you may think. Generally that will occur when you are seeing a doctor for the first time or filling out an annual update and it will be in your file, but that isn't something normally asked for an office visit. Some people would show up listing 40 supplements they are taking and it isn't the doctors responsibility to know the interactions or what is even in the products. At most, they would provide you the interaction warnings when you pick up the prescription and it's your job to be proactive on reading up on it.