Making your own pre workout

shady05

Awards
I have ever been lifting for a few years now. Big fan of the strong pre workouts.
Original Jack3d, noxi pro, hemo rage. Original Hyde...
I like the strong stims but like the focus factor of the old Craze as well

. I want to build my own PWO. I was wondering what I need and the amount of each for a serving. I wake up at 0400 every day and lift then before work. Thanks in advance everyone.
5,9 185lbs if that matter for servings

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You could make a homemade one from bulk products. It might be more cost-effective to get a pre-made one, though.

It really depends on exactly what you want. All I see is stims and focus. That could be pretty cheap if that's all you want.

goodvibes

goodvibes

Awards
  • Established
Been there done it. Such a hassle and inconvenient. You might save money long term on some instance but it's not much if you factor all the ingredients you want. Try it but don't go buy crazy bulk amounts.

Robert5891

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have ever been lifting for a few years now. Big fan of the strong pre workouts.
Original Jack3d, noxi pro, hemo rage. Original Hyde...
I like the strong stims but like the focus factor of the old Craze as well

. I want to build my own PWO. I was wondering what I need and the amount of each for a serving. I wake up at 0400 every day and lift then before work. Thanks in advance everyone.
5,9 185lbs if that matter for servings
Need more information on what you're looking for in your pre workout before we can make legitimate recommendations to suit your preferences.

That being said, it'll be worthwhile in the long run to just buy a pre made pre workout that has everything you want. The cost in time savings and hassle will be well worth any money you'd possibly save by dosing your own before every single workout.

kelso312

kelso312

Awards
  • Established
I tried this, thinking it would save money buying bulk powders.
Citraline
Beta Aline
Arginine
Luceine ( I wanted more than 2:1)
Bcaa 2:1

I am still finishing off C&P DMAA caps but have looked into getting bulk DMAA.

The only downsides

Having 6+ bags to scoop out instead of the convenience of just 1

Bored of the flavors of Gatorade and crystal lite etc...

Dust extreme has Sour Gummy, mesomorph has rocket pop

If I could find yummy flavor mixes that match up to those it would be perfect.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I tried this, thinking it would save money buying bulk powders.
Citraline
Beta Aline
Arginine
Luceine ( I wanted more than 2:1)
Bcaa 2:1

I am still finishing off C&P DMAA caps but have looked into getting bulk DMAA.

The only downsides

Having 6+ bags to scoop out instead of the convenience of just 1

Bored of the flavors of Gatorade and crystal lite etc...

Dust extreme has Sour Gummy, mesomorph has rocket pop

If I could find yummy flavor mixes that match up to those it would be perfect.
You don't need arginine. You already have citrulline, which is better. If you want more ingredients for NO/pump, you could add agmatine and/or nitrates.

cubsfan815

cubsfan815

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Honestly a good one scoop pre is so much more convenient. Maybe it's just me, but I don't like to spend all that time mixing.

Have you checked out HyperMax XT? It has a nice strong but clean stim from eria jarensis, provides great focus and pump. Best part is its only 1 scoop.

shady05

Awards
Honestly a good one scoop pre is so much more convenient. Maybe it's just me, but I don't like to spend all that time mixing.

Have you checked out HyperMax XT? It has a nice strong but clean stim from eria jarensis, provides great focus and pump. Best part is its only 1 scoop.

I have noto but after looking through forums that ingredient pops up. Currently taking Rapid Fire and finishing up a tub of Stimul8. Also recently had some samples of Psychotic which was OK. I guess I need to research what ingredients do what and go from there. Have never really paid much attention to ingredients except for Caffeine, dmaa, and a few others.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
It is definitely cheaper to build your own in the long run, however it is not the most convenient route, or even the tastiest (depending on if you go powder or the cap route). However it does mean you can dose to your own liking or simply add a few ingredients to a "base" pre-workout.

For stims and focus, you can buy bulk DMAA and caffeine for reasonably cheap and add in something like Alpha GPC, Choline and/or Huperzine A for additional focus. If you also want some performance enhancement ingredients, adding bulk Citrulline Malate, Agmatine, Creatine, COP, Betaine Anhydrous etc. are also solid options.

At the moment i'm using USPlabs MaxREPS and adding in bulk focus and stims for when I need them.

Check out SNS's line and Primaforces line for quality bulk ingredients.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have noto but after looking through forums that ingredient pops up. Currently taking Rapid Fire and finishing up a tub of Stimul8. Also recently had some samples of Psychotic which was OK. I guess I need to research what ingredients do what and go from there. Have never really paid much attention to ingredients except for Caffeine, dmaa, and a few others.
For a pump (as well as endurance), citrulline (or cit malate), agmatine, and nitrates are very solid. HyperMax XT has 4g citrulline and 1g agmatine, as well as 2g glycerol (which helps with pumps in a different way than citrulline/agmatine/nitrates).

For energy, caffeine is a major and obvious one. Then you have your DMAA, DMHA, and other stims that can be added to caffeine for even more energy. HyperMax XT uses eria jarensis with caffeine, and I find that 1 scoop (325mg caffeine) provides plenty of energy, but isn't too much to the point of being jittery or "cracked out."

For a while, I mixed several bulk ingredients for a PWO, but it got very time consuming and annoying, especially when I was on the go and/or in a hurry. HyperMax XT is my current pre-workout, but with VasoMax (stim-free pre-workout) coming out, I plan on going either with 1 scoop HyperMax XT (high-stim days), 1 scoop VasoMax (no-stim days), or 1/2 a scoop of each (moderate-stim days), as the combo allows me to customize the amount of stims I want, while still ensuring I have plenty of ingredients for a great pump and endurance.

kelso312

kelso312

Awards
  • Established
You don't need arginine. You already have citrulline, which is better. If you want more ingredients for NO/pump, you could add agmatine and/or nitrates.
Arginine was free for a review on Amazon.

I will look in agmatine. I am almost out of DMAA and I have Dust in transit. So I will be taking a break from homemade.

shady05

Awards
Damn everyone thanks for all the info. I am going to sit down and jot all this down and go from there. I really appreciate it. Does anyone have any advice for when cycling off PWO? Other than non stim PWO? Just curious. Recently had some Body Octane that I thought was pretty weak but got it done. Energy is my main concern..

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I think it just depends on the person but I will typically take a week or two break every 8 weeks or so or whenever I feel I am building up a tolerance to stims. And I know a lot of people who prefer to make their own pwo even it it costs more because they know exactly whats in it and no proprietary blends.

CATdiesel76

CATdiesel76

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I made my own for awhile and honestly it's a pain the ass and not worth it

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Damn everyone thanks for all the info. I am going to sit down and jot all this down and go from there. I really appreciate it. Does anyone have any advice for when cycling off PWO? Other than non stim PWO? Just curious. Recently had some Body Octane that I thought was pretty weak but got it done. Energy is my main concern..
The caffeine/stims is what gives the energy. You could try some fruit pre workout, or some other quick digesting carb source. I would also opt for nootropics as they can help increase focus when taking a stim break.

Starplex

Awards
I really like the Pre-Jym product, but had a little to much caffeine for me. So I purchased individual to make my own. Missing Betaine.
Preworkout:
Creatine HCL 2g
BetaAlanine 2g
Citrulline Malate 6g
Caffeine 200g
Crystal Light Liquid drink mix

Post Workout:
Glutamine 3g
Creatine HCL 2g
BetaAlanine 2g
BCAA's
Dextrose
Added to Whey Protein

Lynks8

Lynks8

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
With some of the fully-dosed/disclosed pre-workouts out there these days, and the insiders and other sales, I have long since given up on making my own pre-workout. It's fun, and I recommend trying it if you haven't before, but imo, the price savings isn't really substantial, and the inconvenience and lack of flavoring are pretty big downsides.

I try and time my cycling off stims/pre-workouts with my de-loads, so for example, I'll use a PWO for ~12-16 weeks, then I'll take 2 weeks off stims and during that time I'll de-load and transition to a new workout regimen, so my energy demands aren't as significant (both because of the deload and the initial phase of the new progressive-overload workout plan). I don't always do it like this, but it can be helpful. As muscleup mentioned, if you don't want to use a non-stim PWO, you can up your pre-workout carbs to help with energy. I personally love a good non-stim PWO with noots, though.

Afi140

Afi140

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
With some of the fully-dosed/disclosed pre-workouts out there these days, and the insiders and other sales, I have long since given up on making my own pre-workout. It's fun, and I recommend trying it if you haven't before, but imo, the price savings isn't really substantial, and the inconvenience and lack of flavoring are pretty big downsides.
This has been my experience as well.

619sss

Awards
I did a couple of homemade pre workouts, the problem is the taste..... I need to mask it

ssor331

Awards
If you wanna be cheap and simple you could do:
Bulk caffeine powder 200-350 mg ~1 cents/serving
Bulk citrulline malate 2:1 6-8g ~24 cents/serving

Boom, a preworkout that covers energy and pumps at a quarter dollar per serving. Add a little crystal light and you are good to go.

Some other optional ingredients:
DMAA ~20 cents per 50mg
Alpha GPC ~23 cents per 300mg
ALCAR ~10 cents per gram

Beta alanine and creatine could be added (both are very cheap) but do not need to be taken preworkout.

kelso312

kelso312

Awards
  • Established
When you bought your bulk DMAA did they give you testing specs?

I was looking into buying bulk but wondered if seller provides that on request.

Robert5891

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
When you bought your bulk DMAA did they give you testing specs?

I was looking into buying bulk but wondered if seller provides that on request.
I don't think you can get it bulk in powder, I think it's only available in caps from what I've been able to find.

kelso312

kelso312

Awards
  • Established
No you can. You can get caffeine in bulk as well. You just need to know where to look.

kpeaceoutbye

Awards
  • Established
Buy tr1umph.
Throw in creatine mono, beta alanine, l-citrulline, and a caffeine pill.

Boom. All of your bases covered with convenience.

KtchnChmst

Awards
  • Established
Ive been making my own preworkout for well over 5yrs. I appreciate the convenience of buying a premade product but im a control freak and like to know and manipulate exactly whats in my supplements......plus I like buying raws in bulk.
6g Creatine Mono micronized
8g Citrulline Malate
4g Beta Alanine
1.5g Agmatine
6g Hydromax
Add some Mio for flavoring.
If I "need" a stim I take 25mg Ephedrine and 200mg Caffeine.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Making your own is definitely the cheapest way to go, no matter how many ingredients you want to put in. But it does get tiring scooping each individual one. You *can* find sites on the net that will figure out the math on how much each bulk is needed to put in a bag and shake up - giving you the one scoop convenience back. It all depends on how much you want to pay for convenience - PrWO's are HIGH margin... $5, $7, $10 mfg cost, for a $30, $40, $50 dollar month (if you're lucky) or more likely 20 workout supply.

619sss

Awards
Ive been making my own preworkout for well over 5yrs. I appreciate the convenience of buying a premade product but im a control freak and like to know and manipulate exactly whats in my supplements......plus I like buying raws in bulk.
6g Creatine Mono micronized
8g Citrulline Malate
4g Beta Alanine
1.5g Agmatine
6g Hydromax
Add some Mio for flavoring.
If I "need" a stim I take 25mg Ephedrine and 200mg Caffeine.
I tried wild berry and coffee flavored it went okish with all except citrulline, alcar,Agmatine

Btw it gave me a stomach full of gas lol
I'm looking to try green apple flavor.

A pharmacist told me that commercial companies use binders to mask the real taste of supplements....

Masterkai

Masterkai

Awards
In my opinion it is well worth creating your own. As long as you have the right attitude about it. It's like meal prep ya know? If you try making each meal when you need it, it becomes annoying and time consuming. However if you can make an entire weeks batch and have it all pre-dosed on one of your off days or during downtime, it isn't nearly as bad. You can just grab it and go. Just make sure there isn't already a pre-workout similar to what you're going to create. Considering most people are always complaining about **** like time. Custom pre may only be worth it for people who are sensitive to ingredients that are in almost every pre-workout (e.g, caffeine). Personally I make custom pre because of caffeine sensitivity and I'm anti-stim. If you do consider doing this just use a few well researched, universally proven effective ingredients and you should be on your way.

GQNemesis

GQNemesis

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Cit malate 6g
Agmatine 1g
creatine HCL 2g

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
In this instance, I would make my own. I would go with PowerMax XT and various bulk nootropics. PowerMax XT covers your creatine, daily betaine for better performance and endurance and glycerol for pumps. The amento in it also aidsin performance when taken pre workout. It is a complete ergogenic aid that will help with strength, endurance, hydration and recovery. The flavor is great at masking bulk nootropics as well.

I would go with this:

1 scoop PowerMax XT
100-200 mcg Huperzine A
300-600 mg Alpha GPC
1-2 grams l-tyrosine
1-2 grams ALCAR

That is a pretty good blend for a non stim product that will help with focus when taking time off stims.

Another option would be PowerMax XT with Haleo Mindset. Mindset is a well rounded product for focus and I enjoy using that as well.

kelso312

kelso312

Awards
  • Established
In this instance, I would make my own. I would go with PowerMax XT and various bulk nootropics. PowerMax XT covers your creatine, daily betaine for better performance and endurance and glycerol for pumps. The amento in it also aidsin performance when taken pre workout. It is a complete ergogenic aid that will help with strength, endurance, hydration and recovery. The flavor is great at masking bulk nootropics as well.

I would go with this:

1 scoop PowerMax XT
100-200 mcg Huperzine A
300-600 mg Alpha GPC
1-2 grams l-tyrosine
1-2 grams ALCAR

That is a pretty good blend for a non stim product that will help with focus when taking time off stims.

Another option would be PowerMax XT with Haleo Mindset. Mindset is a well rounded product for focus and I enjoy using that as well.
OP I would test drive any new ingredients stim or otherwise solo before jamming them all in a cocktail and consuming them.

I say this because some things mentioned especially the nootropics can have adverse effects.

And once you do figure out what you like and do not like, I would cut the doses in half before combining in a cocktail There is going to be a synergistic effect of mixing everything and by taking advantage of everything working together you:

Save money by using less ingredients
Avoid negative sides / unpleasant feelings

You can always bump it up but once it is in your body you are stuck with it until it decides to run its course.

I say this after not paying attention to my mesomorph dosing yesterday and having to stop midworkout because I realized that I miscalculated the dose. The next 3 hours were not pleasant. Live and learn.

Robert5891

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
OP I would test drive any new ingredients stim or otherwise solo before jamming them all in a cocktail and consuming them.

I say this because some things mentioned especially the nootropics can have adverse effects.

And once you do figure out what you like and do not like, I would cut the doses in half before combining in a cocktail There is going to be a synergistic effect of mixing everything and by taking advantage of everything working together you:

Save money by using less ingredients
Avoid negative sides / unpleasant feelings

You can always bump it up but once it is in your body you are stuck with it until it decides to run its course.

I say this after not paying attention to my mesomorph dosing yesterday and having to stop midworkout because I realized that I miscalculated the dose. The next 3 hours were not pleasant. Live and learn.
What negative effects are you saying would happen with that combination of noots? Nothing seems to be out of what there.

kelso312

kelso312

Awards
  • Established
What negative effects are you saying would happen with that combination of noots? Nothing seems to be out of what there.
Experimenting in the past with some of the other ingredients listed. PEA at certain doses made me sick, huperzine A and tyrosine made me feel like my blood pressure was through the roof ( it ended up being the huperzine ). I would not have known it was huperzine if I did not try each on their own first before throwing them all into the mix.

Too much piracetam on days when I did not eat enough gave me headaches, choline helped that but making sure I ate enough was the cure all for piracetam.

I ended up dropping PEA Huperzine piracetamon and Tyrosine from my pre in favor of what is currently listed. I must add that I take large doses of ritalin and provigil. So.... Different strokes....

123abcabcabc

123abcabcabc

Awards
I like Adrafinil, in that it gives you laser-like focus without the stimmed out feeling. Haven't taken any stims since I started having blood pressure issues.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I would find one you like and add caffeine pills or DMAA pills to it. That way it is cost effective and makes it as strong as you would like.

619sss

Awards
I would find one you like and add caffeine pills or DMAA pills to it. That way it is cost effective and makes it as strong as you would like.
Does DMAA causes addiction? The I don't want to workout without it feeling?
Run them both together caffeine and DMAA?