Opinions On Stack

MikeNice81

Awards
Okay, for the vitals. I am a mid thirties male of 5'10" weighing in at 226lbs this morning. Only god knows the body fat percentage and I'm afraid to ask. I do have an issue with fatty liver and the doctor has told me to drop weight. So, I've been back in the gym for about four months after two years off. I have been consistent with a single program for seven weeks and I'm working on dialing in my diet. I'm looking at 2000 calories daily with between 120 - 150 carbs. (My wife is type 2 diabetic, so low carbs is a given.)

I dropped 5 pounds and rebounded and my progress is slowing. I seriously need to be able to pass a physical abilities test by January. So, I'm looking to get a little jump start/push on my progress while cutting weight. I've got a couple of things laying around and started to consider a stack.

It would be:
Ergogenix Ergobolic 4 weeks
Ergogenix ErgoTest 4 weeks
EPG Laxozome 4 weeks

Form XT 4 weeks pct

I was wondering if that stack would help give me that extra push to keep adding strength while cutting weight? I currently resistance train Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. My ultimate goal is to hit 200 pounds and be able to pass the Cooper Assessment for LEOs in the top 80%. That means a 51 second 300m, 20" vertical, 10:38 1.5 mile, and 39 pushups in one minute.

Does it look like the stack is right for the current work load and stated goals?

I can't post a link to the program I am using. So, here is what I did yesterday,

Front Squat - 95lbs*10, 110*8, 120*5x2, 140*2
Back Squat - 155lbs*3, 175*3, 195*2, 210*2, 115*8
Low Incline Bench 90*8, 106*6, 125*3-1-1-1(Double Rep Method) 130*2-1-1x2
Barbell Rows - 25*10, 70*10x3, 90*10 -> 85*6 ->65*8->45*10(drop set)
Upright Rows 65*10x4
High Pull from pins 90*2, 85*3x2, 95*3-1-1-1 (Double Rep), 105*3
Cable Crunches 52.5*18, 54*5, 54.5*10, 47.5*12
Cable Reverse Shoulder Fly 12.5*10x2, 14*8, 15.5*6, 10.5*14

The other two days are different but similar in volume and slightly higher in intensity.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
I just punched your numbers into what I have found is pretty accurate for me as far as fat loss without ruining your resistance training (Mifflin-St. Jeore at 5 times a week training even though I do 7). At a 20% deficit you should be eating ~2300kcals. Adjust if you do less, which if it's only three days of weights, you really need to add cardio on the other days - add 3 fasted cardio sessions and that'll leave you 1 day off. As far as supplements, no idea on the stuff you have. For fat loss start with Caffeine, Green Tea Extract, and maybe Foskolin. After you have some cardio under you, experiment with adding Ephedrine (start low and build up to 25mg up to 3x a day). As far as weight training. 1.6g/Kg of protein, as much from food as possible, and Creatine is all I'd worry about. When you're really fat, you have a built in energy store, so you can get away with less than a lean guy would need to maintain or build. That's what I did when I started at 300lbs. Calorie deficit and regular cardio/weights is what gets rid of fat my man.

MikeNice81

Awards
Yeah, I've done it before over a multi-year period. I went slow and easy from about the same weekend weight to 195 - 197. Then I injured my elbow and was out for six months. Then I still couldn't do a push-up without my elbow locking up. I went from a 340 squat and 50 push-ups in a minute to being stuck on my ass and the new habits stayed with me.

This time I am behind the eight ball. My Doc wants me at 200 and people at work are lobbying for me to get an academy spot. So, I don't have years this time. Plus, I don't want to go the "Biggest Loser" route and destroy my metabolism.

I am planning on adding in 5k training and soccer drills with my kid. Thanks on the ephedrine and foskolin.

I'm getting most of my protein from chicken with shrimp or beef thrown in weekly. The only time I do a protein shake is on the night of a workout. I find that a slow release protein close to bed helps me recover faster. Of course, more sleep would probably help nearly as much. I average about six hours.

Daycrawler

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I've done it before over a multi-year period. I went slow and easy from about the same weekend weight to 195 - 197. Then I injured my elbow and was out for six months. Then I still couldn't do a push-up without my elbow locking up. I went from a 340 squat and 50 push-ups in a minute to being stuck on my ass and the new habits stayed with me.

This time I am behind the eight ball. My Doc wants me at 200 and people at work are lobbying for me to get an academy spot. So, I don't have years this time. Plus, I don't want to go the "Biggest Loser" route and destroy my metabolism.

I am planning on adding in 5k training and soccer drills with my kid. Thanks on the ephedrine and foskolin.

I'm getting most of my protein from chicken with shrimp or beef thrown in weekly. The only time I do a protein shake is on the night of a workout. I find that a slow release protein close to bed helps me recover faster. Of course, more sleep would probably help nearly as much. I average about six hours.
Just make sure to not throw on too much too fast. Often times people start adding in lots of cardio at the beginning and the fat loss starts to tail off as you progress. As it already appears you do, monitor your food intake, the supplements look fine and most of all, nothing works unless you do.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Just don't set yourself up for failure - it didn't get put on over-night, and it ain't going to come off over-night either. I'd count on 1-2 lbs/week, which can recomp fat people nicely. AAMOF, I wasn't trying to "go slow" and 2lbs/week was a lot - I averaged 1.5... but strength kept climbing for almost 2.5 years straight. I was 46 when I started, so 35 should be no problem. Your time limit may mess with your head if you don't progress enough as time ticks down...

MikeNice81

Awards
Just don't set yourself up for failure - it didn't get put on over-night, and it ain't going to come off over-night either. I'd count on 1-2 lbs/week, which can recomp fat people nicely. AAMOF, I wasn't trying to "go slow" and 2lbs/week was a lot - I averaged 1.5... but strength kept climbing for almost 2.5 years straight. I was 46 when I started, so 35 should be no problem. Your time limit may mess with your head if you don't progress enough as time ticks down...

I think you're on to something. The time frame is making me jumpy.I think I'll finish up the Ergogenix stuff I have and just push for those noob/restart gains. Maybe I'll add in some ZMA to aid with sleep. I think diet and proper recovery are more important for now.