Extra Leucine On A Bulk Worth It?

jathan_howe

Awards
Question in the title. MyProtein is running a sale on it without use of a code so I can stack another code with it and get it dirt cheap, but I'm unsure if it'll be worthwhile on a 500+ calorie surplus (sometimes way over that even lol) with protein at least at .8g/lb, & usually 1g/lb.
I'm also going to be using AbE, X-Gels, SlinMax, and Tr1umph. I'm just waiting for them to get here. Anacyclus, ArA, and PA will have MPS stimulated greatly and I almost feel extra leucine wouldn't be worth it.
I read a study where ArA inhibited the breakdown of Leucine in baby chicks (link at the bottom) so that seemed like some possible synergy between the two.
With MyProtein's current deal, I could afford to run 15g of extra leucine on workout days only or ~9g everyday, spaced out however would be best, if it's worth it. What do you guys think? Part of me says not to bother since I'm getting ample amounts of protein in my diet

Here's the link to the ArA/Leucine study: Arachidonic acid, prostaglandin E2 and F2 alpha inhibit leucine degradation in chick skeletal muscle. - PubMed - NCBI

lifted67

lifted67

Awards
  • Established
I usually use leucine/HMB on a cut, but if you can get it for dirt cheap I wouldn't see the harm in running it in an attempt to boost protein synthesis.

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I don't think it's worth the micromanagement/cost on a bulk. I can see it if you want to add Leucine to your meals in which you're not getting enough Leucine for MPS, but not sure what else.

lifted67

lifted67

Awards
  • Established
You could always eat more eggs :)

Robert5891

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Save your money and spend the extra bucks on more food since you're on a bulk or on some other supplement you've been wanting to try.

jathan_howe

Awards
Save your money and spend the extra bucks on more food since you're on a bulk or on some other supplement you've been wanting to try.
I was gonna go that route but there's nothing I want to try that I could get an 8 week run of for the same money (I don't have much excess to spend right now) and with the leucine I could get three months of 9g everyday for $30 total. If it's pointless though I can save $30 lol

lifted67

lifted67

Awards
  • Established
Save the $30 add more oats, eggs, or tators to your diet

Robert5891

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I was gonna go that route but there's nothing I want to try that I could get an 8 week run of for the same money (I don't have much excess to spend right now) and with the leucine I could get three months of 9g everyday for $30 total. If it's pointless though I can save $30 lol
Definitely save the $30 and use it towards more delicious food! :D

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Imo, supplements and tricks are not all that effective when bulking. Avoid bcaas and the like, just increase your overall protein intake even from powder. At the most, EAAs or something like humapro would be the best add ons when bulking.

I added 3 scoops of humapro because I couldn't afford any more calories this passed offseason and it worked well for me.

jathan_howe

Awards
Imo, supplements and tricks are not all that effective when bulking. Avoid bcaas and the like, just increase your overall protein intake even from powder. At the most, EAAs or something like humapro would be the best add ons when bulking.

I added 3 scoops of humapro because I couldn't afford any more calories this passed offseason and it worked well for me.
Reminds me, I have a stack of HumaPro sample packs on my dresser.

Lynks8

Lynks8

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
There's only so much mTOR activation you can achieve with exogenous supplementation before you hit diminishing returns and even begin to negatively impact insulin sensitivity. I would not personally take in large quantities of supplemental leucine on a bulk. That said, I'm open to hearing counter arguments.

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
There's only so much mTOR activation you can achieve with exogenous supplementation before you hit diminishing returns and even begin to negatively impact insulin sensitivity. I would not personally take in large quantities of supplemental leucine on a bulk. That said, I'm open to hearing counter arguments.
Doubt you will find someone who disagrees.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Definitely going to not get full value spending money on leucine for a bulk.

You really shouldn't need it whatsoever on a calorie surplus, assuming your protein macros are being met.

Best used on a calorie deficit when protein is usually lower, and catabolism is more of a concern.

UNCnate

UNCnate

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Do what you want, but it will make zero difference assuming protein needs are met.

jathan_howe

Awards
Do what you want, but it will make zero difference assuming protein needs are met.
I decided not to purchase the extra leucine. Gonna spend the extra money on more food lol

lifted67

lifted67

Awards
  • Established
I decided not to purchase the extra leucine. Gonna spend the extra money on more food lol
Pop tarts bro, $30 in pop tarts for the win lol

lifted67

lifted67

Awards
  • Established
Smores pop tarts go great with anything...super anabolic.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
If your diet is good it makes no sense to add extra leucine. I have done in the past with no better results. I would add the money into some very anabolic chicken breast.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
That should go well with the SlinMax and AbE anyway lol
The Poptart, Slinmax, ABE stack. I think you're onto something here haha. What are your plans for dosing with Slinmax?

bb333

Awards
  • Established
The speech is, in bulk, the most important anabolic factor, is not so much leucine, but carbohydrates !!!
Proteins, in bulk, count yes, but carbohydrates even more!

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
^Even more accurately, calories & insulin release (positive energy balance is the only necessity aside from amino acids)

Carbs are an effective tool for sure
But I can grow on keto just fine

bb333

Awards
  • Established
^Even more accurately, calories & insulin release (positive energy balance is the only necessity aside from amino acids)

Carbs are an effective tool for sure
But I can grow on keto just fine
Ever tried Keto!
I love carbs, and cut in my opinion it is counterproductive to go under the 50 grams of carbs ...
some zero!
Crazy, crazy!
Difficult to "grow" the muscle Ketogenic diet! IMO

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
If you're not cutting, it's not hard for me.

A surplus of calories primarily from fats on top of my standard 1.25g protein/lb

Outside that just lots of veggies, and hot sauce (sugar free) in excess haha

I love cooking stovetop in oil, so its easy for me

It's not my preferred diet, I love carbs too lol

jathan_howe

Awards
The Poptart, Slinmax, ABE stack. I think you're onto something here haha. What are your plans for dosing with Slinmax?
Two SlinMax and two AbE with my preworkout meal, ~1.5hours pre workout
6 X-Gels mid workout
Two AbE post workout with some source of carbs

Tylerclee

Tylerclee

Awards
  • Established
It depends on your approach. If your natural and carb sensative. Adding 5gr Leucine post workout with your creatine would be a good idea. Having a whey shake about 15min after then a whole food meal containing low GI carbs about 45min after that.
Just curious as to why you would wait 15 minutes for the whey shake? Wouldn't the extra insulin surge help the creatine and leucine uptake?

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
You would be much better off trying to hit 1.25-1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight than adding in any supplements.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don't think it's worth the micromanagement/cost on a bulk. I can see it if you want to add Leucine to your meals in which you're not getting enough Leucine for MPS, but not sure what else.
came in to say this, use leucine for lower protein food meals....personally I love using peanut butter on a bulk, so if I'm only taking a serving of peanut butter, even though it's giving me 200 calories or so, it's not enough protein, leucine might help in this situation......but if your meal is 5grams of chicken breast, cup of rice or whatever, then leucine isn't really going to help