Monodiglycerides

P

phantom

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys, wondering if anyone can help me. Recently been reading on these emumsifiers and noticed they are in decent amount of protein powders, bars etc. Anyone know the deal if these contain any trans fats? Read maybe it can depend if they are vegetable sourced or animal sourced?

Lynks8

Lynks8

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
It's my understanding that the FDA only requires trans-fats to be listed when they come from what we traditionally think of as lipids/"fats" (triglycerides). It would appear mono and di-glycerides are excused from this requirement.

It is likely that they contain trans-fats, as they're typically/(exclusively?) high-heat processed with hydrogen and a metal catalyst, just like traditional triglyceride-based trans-fats. I don't believe it matters if the source material is animal or plant derived.

The good news is: the actual amount is fairly low and thus probably not worth a terrible amount of concern, but as a general rule, I try to avoid them.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Isn't the requirement also that they have to be .5g or more to be listed? .4g skates under the rule?

Edit: Yup -

Label Loophole

So why are food manufacturers allowed to state zero grams of trans fats when trans fats are listed in the ingredients? It's because of a label loophole that allows companies to write "0 trans fat" on the nutrition facts panel if there is less than 0.5 grams per serving. I repeat, PER SERVING!
With the protein powder amounts some eat, .4g of Trans per scoop could add up to a lot at thend of a year.

P

phantom

Awards
  • Established
Yea if ure using 3 or 4 scoops of a powder that has them, def cd add up