Help w DOMS

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Switched to a different style of training after years of counter-productive complacency.

Well, it's so bad a simple leg workout leaves me unable to walk for 3-4 days.

I'm OLD, take in 20 BCAA's from pre, peri to post-training. I also get in 1 gram of protein per lb. and overall nutrition is pretty stellar.

HELP !!

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
What training program are you following? How strong are you?

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Stretch, stretch and stretch. Hot Shower and foam rolling, perhaps some aspirin...

Robert5891

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Number one thing is to make sure you are warming up, cooling down and stretching (and foam rolling!) adequately before and after you're workouts. Second take a look at your nutrition and sleep as those can have a big impact on recovery and overall DOMS.

Lastly, when looking to supplements, check out iForce's Finish Line.

In addition to BCAAs, it also has L-Alanyl L-Glutamine and L-Carnitine L-Tartrate to speed recovery and reduce DOMS.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Food and sleep are 1A and B for anyone.

After those, stretching/rolling can help, active rest (some light work the day after to stimulate bloodflow to the damaged areas), and generally a ton of water will help to flush some fo the toxins as well. These most likely wont have "huge" impact, but can help. The two above will be the kings

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Also forgot to mention...for me personally on heavy leg days, hot epsom salt bath....no shame in taking a tubby:wiggle:

machinehead

machinehead

Awards
  • Established
I am old too but I don't get sore :)

When I was young, BCAA killed all soreness. Interesting that it does not work for you. That kind of makes my first thought of suggesting 20g protein from PeptoPro or Proto Whey redundant. Loaded stretches that are integral part of DC training helped a lot in the past.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Switched to a different style of training after years of counter-productive complacency.

Well, it's so bad a simple leg workout leaves me unable to walk for 3-4 days.

I'm OLD, take in 20 BCAA's from pre, peri to post-training. I also get in 1 gram of protein per lb. and overall nutrition is pretty stellar.

HELP !!

And he's back!

If you're still low carbing it, that will play a huge factor in DOMs. It's a constant battle for me as well ;) How many carbs do you aim for each day? Might be best to place them solely around your workout, and try get in a decent whack of protein before and after as well.

If that doesn't work, grin and bear it ;)

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
COP help md a great deal,with recovery
COP is good for recovery. So is creatine, if you aren't already supplementing with it Whacked

I would also look into L-Alanyl L-Glutamine. Alanyl attached to glutamine helps make glutamine more bioavailable and glutmaine, as you probably know, increases recovery.

PowerMax XT contains all three of those ingredients and more. Those are the three that will help you. Betaine can also increase protein synthesis, which my help your recovery too. Another bulk ingredient I would look into is LCLT.

Non supplement options, foam roll either post workout or pre bed, make sure you're still active (light walks) and make sure you're getting plenty of sleep.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
And he's back!

If you're still low carbing it, that will play a huge factor in DOMs. It's a constant battle for me as well ;) How many carbs do you aim for each day? Might be best to place them solely around your workout, and try get in a decent whack of protein before and after as well.

If that doesn't work, grin and bear it ;)
Ha! How are ya man. Good to see ya.

Me thinks the "grin and bear it" admonition is what me needs to do.

Old age blows.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks for all the suggestions fellas

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Ha! How are ya man. Good to see ya.

Me thinks the "grin and bear it" admonition is what me needs to do.

Old age blows.
It's good to see you still float around from time to time

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
DOMS have a genetic component to them. I'm a high responder. I get DOMS easily but it doesn't effect my performance. Stretching isn't going to do jack for your DOMS but foam rolling might help. I do like stretching though. It feels good so why not do it. DOMS also have NOTHING to do with how fit you are. Just throwing that out there

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Food, nutrient timing (yes, it is important), training frequency, and training volume per session all need to be looked into.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Also forgot to mention...for me personally on heavy leg days, hot epsom salt bath....no shame in taking a tubby:wiggle:
Yep I've implemented one epsom salt bath into my regime per week....usually Sunday r ight before I relax for the night

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Didn't people who used bio gro report improved recovery? That might work, seems to the one thing I have heard about supplementing with bovine colostrum.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Finish Line has honestly done wonders for me post-workout in reducing DOMs, Very complete formula and tastes great.

ManimalPatB

ManimalPatB

Awards
Finish Line has honestly done wonders for me post-workout in reducing DOMs, Very complete formula and tastes great.
I will agree with Mike here! Finish Line has helped me out tremendously with DOMs

NurseGray

NurseGray

Awards
Without sounding like an IForce Gangbang. This is legit. I have been taking Finish Line for Months now. Last month I was a little late on my order and I was out for three weeks. The difference was dramatic.

rhoadx

Awards
  • Established
I find the best thing is a light workout for the sore bodypart the next day. It's the last thing you feel like doing, but helps with soreness a lot

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Increase your frequency. People forget that lifting is a skill and I can't think of any other skill that practicing once per week would be ideal.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Increase your frequency. People forget that lifting is a skill and I can't think of any other skill that practicing once per week would be ideal.
Agreed fully here.

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hmb, hica, lclt, bri-gro if you can afford to dose it high enough(10scoops min), hot showers/baths, eat more carbs, train more frequent but not to frequent, foam rolling, proper warm up, if working a desk job every hour get up and atleast walk for a couple min, SLEEP

Edit. Also a good -(-)-epi products(ep1c unleashed or Follidrone 2.0), or high dose ecdy but this is super expensive

georgetown

Awards
  • Established
Intraworkout nutrition of bcaas and carbs or whey isolate and carbs should help recovery from what ive heard havent tried yet, although bcaas alone have helped

cobri66

cobri66

Awards
Number one thing is to make sure you are warming up, cooling down and stretching (and foam rolling!) adequately before and after you're workouts. Second take a look at your nutrition and sleep as those can have a big impact on recovery and overall DOMS.

Lastly, when looking to supplements, check out iForce's Finish Line.

In addition to BCAAs, it also has L-Alanyl L-Glutamine and L-Carnitine L-Tartrate to speed recovery and reduce DOMS.
This..have quite a few gym goers who swear to its ability to reduce DOMS