Another question about the use of fish oil....

bizzare_777

Awards
Hi, im using flax seed oil rite now and after reading many threads about fish oil being the better choice, ive decided to switch to fish oil, but im wondering if i could still get everything i need by using the fish oil alone (omega's) or is it better to combine the both together?

Also, i was hopin you could recommend a good brand of fish oil in oil form that is not so bad in price and in taste. Preferably a brand that has been quality tested. Thx!

bizzare_777

Awards
Im lookin at a brand named "health from the sea, @ bb.com,, would be considered a reputable brand??? ~echoes~

UHCougar05

UHCougar05

Awards
  • Established
Im lookin at a brand named "health from the sea, @ bb.com,, would be considered a reputable brand??? ~echoes~
it is a reputable brand, but you could probably get a better deal somewhere else than bb.com. I know nutraplanet has some really good deals on fish oil and other EFAs. I would see if there was anything there that would interest you because stryder always has good prices.

Hope you find what you're looking for.

darius

Bulk Nutrition has an awesome deal on Optimum Nutrition fish oil. That's where I get mine from. Their whey is good, so I'm guessing their fish oil is good too.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Fish Oil is not a good subsitute for Flax in the simple fact is that you take Flax at much higher amount to increase overall fat intake.

Fish oil should not be used in the same way at all unless you want to overdose on Vitamin A and D.

You are probably getting enough EPA/DHA anyway so the need for more isn't needed.

EXSSguru

Awards
Fish Oil is not a good subsitute for Flax in the simple fact is that you take Flax at much higher amount to increase overall fat intake.

Fish oil should not be used in the same way at all unless you want to overdose on Vitamin A and D.

You are probably getting enough EPA/DHA anyway so the need for more isn't needed.
I would have to disagree on this matter. It depends on where and what fish oil source you are using. True, there are certain oils out there that have high amount of Vits. A & D in them, which would not be recommended for using at high doses. However, there are other fish oils out there that are filtered well enough to remove the high amounts of these fat soluble vitamins. To this point, NOW's Super EPA is probably the most efficacious.

It has also been reported that the EPA/DHA in fish oil have a much greater biological activity than the vegetable n3's in flax oil. As we age, it becomes more difficult for us to convert these fatty acids into their bioligically active form.

In my opinion, the only reason to continue to use flax oil, with fish oil, is because of the lignans that higher quaility oils contain (such as Barleans), which fish oil does not contain.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
High doses of fish oil can also cause pro-inflammatory effects. It can also increase bleeding time, interfere with wound healing, worsen diatetes and impair imune function. Adding Vitamin E and a B complex vitamin wil help the situation but not eliminate the problem.

"When the body has as much DHA as it needs, feedback inhibition stops further conversion. Without this inhibition, toxicity could result from excess DHA production. Let me give an example. An analysis of fish oil studies showed that too much fish oil increases inflammation due to the extreme sensitivity of DHA to damage caused by oxidative stress [4]. Giving n-3 in the more stable form of ALA is safer because it gives the body better metabolic control and prevents DHA overdosing. Some prominent Canadian health researchers have stated for more than 10 years that they prefer the basic n-3 ALA to fish oils because of this better metabolic control that ALA affords the body."

Arnesen H N-3 fatty acids and revascularization procedures. Lipids. 2001;36 Suppl:S103-6. Review.

Measurement of persistent organic pollutants in 15 commercial fish oils. 2002. Central Science Labs in the UK carried out the tests for PCBs, PAHs, and dioxins.

So replacing his Flax (which is usually about 1-3 Tablspoons /day (14-42g/day) is complete overkill and not necessary at all.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
Hey Bobo, I use canola oil in my shakes...usually have 10 or TBSP. /day....I know this isn't ideal but that's all I can really afford at the moment. If I were to include flax now to replace some of the canola oil doses I use, how many TBSP should I use and at what times of the day should I use it for the best benefits?? Thx.

Sticks

Get big or die trying
Awards
  • Established
What about a tablespoon of flax along side of 6 grams of fishoil a day.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hey Bobo, I use canola oil in my shakes...usually have 10 or TBSP. /day....I know this isn't ideal but that's all I can really afford at the moment. If I were to include flax now to replace some of the canola oil doses I use, how many TBSP should I use and at what times of the day should I use it for the best benefits?? Thx.
It completely depends on your diet and how it is set up. I get as many of my quality fat calories from Flax Oil so I get the benefit of enough DHA/EPA along with assuring the my saturated and transfatty acid content is low.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
It completely depends on your diet and how it is set up. I get as many of my quality fat calories from Flax Oil so I get the benefit of enough DHA/EPA along with assuring the my saturated and transfatty acid content is low.
I see. Well the only other fats that I eat come from milk and chicken breasts. That accounts for like 70 grams or so...then the rest I get from the canola.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
What about a tablespoon of flax along side of 6 grams of fishoil a day.
You can add both, but the idea of taking a couple tablespoons of flax out and replacing it with fish oil is complete overkill and can lead to problems. Its really comparing 2 different things.

I've tried high dose fish oil, high dose EPA/DHA and compared them to just consuming my regular flax and the differences were nil. If you're diet is clean and get a good amount of Omega's 3's without consuming an abundance od Omega 6's I don't think you will see any difference at all. If you do, your diet is probasbly lacking in the first place (which I see everyday :D )

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I see. Well the only other fats that I eat come from milk and chicken breasts. That accounts for like 70 grams or so...then the rest I get from the canola.
I tihnk you are just fine.

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
is 6 grams of fish oil a day to much? I take 6 grams a day because I have problems getting enough good fats in. The only other source I really get good fats from is olive oil.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thats fine.

Jay Mc

Awards
High doses of fish oil can also cause pro-inflammatory effects. It can also increase bleeding time, interfere with wound healing, worsen diatetes and impair imune function. Adding Vitamin E and a B complex vitamin wil help the situation but not eliminate the problem.

So replacing his Flax (which is usually about 1-3 Tablspoons /day (14-42g/day) is complete overkill and not necessary at all.
Just like to point out that more reasonable doses of fish oil can be anti-inflammatory and help w/lots of the aforementioned conditions as well as asthma (EPA/DHA are poor substrates for conversion to AA which is what cycloxygenase works on to make PG's/TxA2).

Fish oil is like anything. If a little is good, a lot isn't better. I doubt many people on this board, or in the wolrd for that matter, have an imbalance towards omega3's. In fact, I doubt the great majority of the people on this board consume near as much flax as you do bobo. I think these people would still benefit from 3-6g fish oil.

But I think your bigger point was that fish oil and flax aren't interchangeable which I totally agree with.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
But I think your bigger point was that fish oil and flax aren't interchangeable which I totally agree with.
That is the point. People can benefit from fish oil but if you take in enough Omega's 3 the conversion from linolenic acid is usually more than enough. Your body will only utilize so much DHA/EPA.

Fish oil can be a great "supplement".

BTW- I don't take in that much Flax. The amount needed to satify the bodies need for DHA/EPA and exert its benefits is fairly small. The reason it is pushed as a great supplement is because Western diets are full of Omega 6's (red meats) which upsets the balance of 3:6. (which be as bad as 20:1-50:1 in some western diets)

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
so bobo, in grams, what would you say is the optimal intake for flax and fish oils ed. I know you said it varies from person to person so maybe you could just give a range. I take 5 grams of fish oil ed and 2 grams of flax.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
2g of flax? That is nothing. I take at least 1-2 tablspoons of Flax Oil which 14-28g. But I also eat a lower fat intake in foods and use my Flax as the majority of my fat content in my diet. I will raise it or lower it depending on what my goal is at the time.

3-6g of Fish oil is fine and as JayMC said many people will see some benefits in terms of general health.

Jay Mc

Awards
where can I get flax real cheap?
Vitamin shoppe or whatever has the oil pretty cheap and its local and therefore more convenient for me since I tend to run out before I realize its time to order more.

Like bobo said most diets are unbalanced towards omega6's. To see the effects of fish oil/flax most people are going to need time for this balance to unwind. Its not an instant effect like taking something like ephedrine. Its something longer where your body naturally incorporates the components into cell membranes and the like. I think thats why lots of people write it off. I don't have the time to read about it, but I think Udo Erasmus has written extensively on this topic. He is generally refered to the 'fat guru' type but I don't know if he fell in this niche because he was the only person falling that direction or if its because he actually knows his stuff. Maybe bobo knows...i think he gets paid to know that kind of thing actually :)

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
i upped my dose of fish oil to 10 grams a day after an article i read on the Avant boards about that amount improving moods & i must say i am in a better mood since............

i'm on very low carbs at the moment so i'd probably adjust this when i add carbs again.

i've also noticed that, after a carb up, it takes about 4 1/2 to 5 days to get that "no energy" feeling whereas when i didn't use the fish oil it was only 2 or maybe 3 at the most. :blink:

Jag