Krill Vs. Fish Oil

CallItKarma

CallItKarma

Awards
I'm curious to see how many of you choose Krill over Fish Oil. I've been thinking about making the switch to Krill, as I have read more and more about the oxidation of Fish Oil.

Here's how I've broken it down so far, I'm sure I am not 100% correct on all of this, so any input is greatly appreciated!

Fish Oil

Pros:
Extremely affordable
High levels of EPA & DHA

Cons:
Easily destroyed by oxidation rendering product useless/possibly harmful. There's really no way to tell if this has happened to your fish oil either!

Krill Oil

Pros:
Higher absorption than Fish Oil
Contains the powerful antioxidant, Astaxanthin
Oxidation is a non-issue

Cons:
Expensive
Lower levels of DHA & EPA

Which one do you use and why? Also, are there any Pros and Cons that you keep in mind which haven't been mentioned here?

I am trying to keep the conversation to health and fitness, I know there are issues and debates involving environmental sustainability, but lets try to keep that for another topic please!!!

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I haven't seen any studies showing that EPA/DHA in Krill oil is 10X as biologically available as the EPA/DHA in fish oil - which is what it would need to be in order to compete pill for pill with potency in most situations. Plus, as far as I've seen - all of the studies showing health benefits use fish oil, not krill oil. Dollar for dollar, gram for gram, I just use fish oil. I can get 4.5 grams of EPA/DHA per day for less than $1/day. It would cost me over $20/week to run 1/10th as much EPA/DHA from Krill oil, even using a no-name brand. Granted, you get the astaxanthin in krill that you don't get in fish oil, and if that's important, use Fish Oil for your EPA/DHA and then Krill for the astaxanthin.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Or just get solo Astaxanthin. 8mg is $0.46/Day - seems expensive.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
For the benefits of higher levels of dha/epa and at the lower cost I use fish oil. I have tried krill and did not see the benefits.

georgetown

Awards
  • Established
Best brands of fish oil? I use carlsons cause I know its quality but anything cheaper but quality with good DHA/EPA?

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I just use now Ultra Omega or Now DHA 500. I often swap between the two. Highly concentrated, not super high end but good enough and I can take 6 pills a day for 4.5 grams total EPA/DHA for about $24/month.

squirtguns89

Awards
  • Established
Best brands of fish oil? I use carlsons cause I know its quality but anything cheaper but quality with good DHA/EPA?
go with the liquid carlsons for better value. would rather drink something i didnt enjoy (to an extent at least) than buy cheap health supplements.....

with that being said, the classic bro recommendation is controlled labs fish oil, which is good, not sure its a better value than carlsons liquid.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
I use a Triple Strength brand from a Warehouse Store run by my buddy Sam. Good Macros for 900mg combined DHA/EPA, and all the stuff on the label looks quality to my eyes. Then I keep them in the fridge. It would be cool if the companies kept them cool throughout, like milk, but I guess that would suck for anyone not an actual store, and cost would go up, up, up.

Lynks8

Lynks8

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I don't buy the magically enhanced bio-availability of epa/dha in krill.

For the cost of comparable amounts of epa/dha from krill oil pills, I'd rather just buy some nice salmon and ahi tuna steaks.

sareea

Awards
I don't buy the magically enhanced bio-availability of epa/dha in krill.

For the cost of comparable amounts of epa/dha from krill oil pills, I'd rather just buy some nice salmon and ahi tuna steaks.
I tend to think like you after reading Suppversity article.
I even don't take fish oil daily, I try to mimic my natural eating of fish... Nature always had it best so why hack it ?
I use Madre Labs omega 800, cheap and reliable.

josun

Awards
  • Established
I use a Triple Strength brand from a Warehouse Store run by my buddy Sam. Good Macros for 900mg combined DHA/EPA, and all the stuff on the label looks quality to my eyes. Then I keep them in the fridge. It would be cool if the companies kept them cool throughout, like milk, but I guess that would suck for anyone not an actual store, and cost would go up, up, up.
are u talking about Nutrigold Triple Strength Omega-3? Ive been wanting to buy this but it is to expensive

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Everyone seems to overlook Now.

Ultra Omega has 500 mg EPA and 250 mg DHA per pill. This compares with 2 pills of 90% of what is out there. To get equal levels you will need to go with a brand that charges 2x as much (although then you are dealing with higher end products utilizing "superior" forms of the oil)

DHA 500 has 500 mg DHA and 750 mg EPA per pill. They are two of the most potent products out there and both can be had for $23-25 for 180 pills.

squirtguns89

Awards
  • Established
i dont think people are over looking anyone, i just a lot of times (not always), you get what you pay for.

Dragoninho

Awards
  • Established
Everyone seems to overlook Now.

Ultra Omega has 500 mg EPA and 250 mg DHA per pill. This compares with 2 pills of 90% of what is out there. To get equal levels you will need to go with a brand that charges 2x as much (although then you are dealing with higher end products utilizing "superior" forms of the oil)

DHA 500 has 500 mg DHA and 750 mg EPA per pill. They are two of the most potent products out there and both can be had for $23-25 for 180 pills.
I buying theese for my wife and using them myself when I'm on travel.
Otherwise I use a liquid oil for myself but my wife can't stand it so we have to go with both.

I have used fish oil together with krill as well but just went the route with fish oil and asthaxantin instead. Krill is too expensive for what you get.