High blood pressure

Todd Garner

Todd Garner

Awards
  • Established
Anything good out there for lowering blood pressure besides Garlic, Co-Q10, fish oil and keeping salt intake low?

xo0ox

xo0ox

Awards
Beside the ones you listed:
Hawthorn (can raise the BP in the beginning)
Potassium

If you want to step it up and lower BP fast then cardarine (but read up on it before using it).

Reason why you want to lower it?
What does your BP say?

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
nitrates will lower blood pressure very effectively, just not a great idea to take them every single day

Todd Garner

Todd Garner

Awards
  • Established
i stay in the 135/85 to the 150/90 range. I know there are a lot different reasons bp can spike, just got to find whats causing mine

Juicedeez utz

Juicedeez utz

Awards
  • Established
Grape fruit, great easy way, has a good effect on blood lipid levels too

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
i stay in the 135/85 to the 150/90 range. I know there are a lot different reasons bp can spike, just got to find whats causing mine
Id be seeing a Doc with BP routinely that high

NewAgeMayan

Awards
I did, was gave cozaar but would really like to avoid taking something long term.
I know you gotta try sh1t, but man Id be surprised if anything OTC dropped your systolic by 10+ or more, and kept it there.

Todd Garner

Todd Garner

Awards
  • Established
I know you gotta try sh1t, but man Id be surprised if anything OTC dropped your systolic by 10+ or more, and kept it there.
Agreed but I got a 128/78 the other day so Im not sure whats making it jump so much, maybe anxiety over having high bp to begin with.

Robert5891

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'd recommend you talking to your primary care physician if it's a serious blood pressure issue. Some supplements can help, but you should always consult with your doc first before trying to self medicate with various supps.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Agreed but I got a 128/78 the other day so Im not sure whats making it jump so much, maybe anxiety over having high bp to begin with.
BP will always have peaks and troughs, but consistently high readings should be addressed medically. You also want to ensure no supplements interfere with medication before using them.

Todd Garner

Todd Garner

Awards
  • Established
How is you diet?

Not bad, on deployment right now so what foods i have to pick from is limited. Just got off a long vacation where i had more booze then needed, but not sure how long that could keep bp up after cutting it out completely.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I would be looking at nitrates and agmatine. I would also mention Telmisartan since you are working with a doctor - I've been researching it lately and it's pretty interesting and lowering BP is its main use. I have suggested my dad swap his Lisinopril for Telmisartan if his doctor will go for it.

BP over 130/80 should be kept under control, if it is a regular occurance, as others have said.

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Grape seed extract has been shown to lower both systolic and diastolic blood pressure reductions of 12 mmHg systolic and 8 mmHg diastolic on average.

Another not very well known ingredient as mentioned above, Arjuna Terminalia.

kboxer7

kboxer7

Awards
  • Established
Grape seed extract has been shown to lower both systolic and diastolic blood pressure reductions of 12 mmHg systolic and 8 mmHg diastolic on average.

When mine was spiking for no apparent reason GSE was about the only thing that helped...and I tried a LOT of supps.

cobri66

cobri66

Awards
Celery is being touted as good for lowering it

mbonheur

mbonheur

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

What is the common dosage for grape seed extract?

Olive leaf extract also worked for me

pbandy1

Awards
What is your caffeine intake like? Caffeine reliably increases blood pressure (moreso than coffee oddly enough)

Study: Blood pressure response to chronic intake of coffee and caffeine: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What is the common dosage for grape seed extract?

Olive leaf extract also worked for me
Most products are 300mg, which is a solid dose and all you should need. Some are dosed at 200mg, and recommend 2 caps. So 300-400mg per day would be a good place to start.

squirtguns89

Awards
  • Established
Most products are 300mg, which is a solid dose and all you should need. Some are dosed at 200mg, and recommend 2 caps. So 300-400mg per day would be a good place to start.
what about its bioavailability? does that not pose any issue with standard gse dosing? one meta-analysis showing marketed improvements with systolic and not as much with diastolic. The effect of grape seed extract on cardiovascular risk markers: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. - PubMed - NCBI

Daycrawler

Awards
  • Established
I would look into Nimbus Nutrition's Cadence

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Not bad, on deployment right now so what foods i have to pick from is limited. Just got off a long vacation where i had more booze then needed, but not sure how long that could keep bp up after cutting it out completely.
Is your BP monitor accurate? Calibrated/Offset from Doctors device known? Are you waking up and sitting quietly in a chair for 5 minutes with both feet on the floor when taking it? No food/drink/caffeine/nicotine?

Todd Garner

Todd Garner

Awards
  • Established
Is your BP monitor accurate? Calibrated/Offset from Doctors device known? Are you waking up and sitting quietly in a chair for 5 minutes with both feet on the floor when taking it? No food/drink/caffeine/nicotine?
Cant say how accurate it is, and I do not have any off set from what i know the Doc's read. I do set for 5 min or longer before taking it. 3rd day on 25mg Cozaar today.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Cant say how accurate it is, and I do not have any off set from what i know the Doc's read. I do set for 5 min or longer before taking it. 3rd day on 25mg Cozaar today.
Bring yours with you the next time you go to the Doc (and the ones I've ((rarely)) visited, say come in any time and they'll compare :thumbsup:

bosskardo

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If your high BP is related to cholesterol then vitamin K helps. Niacin or niacimide too.
Otherwise grape seed extract is effective.
Fish oil helps a little.
Garlic is quite good, and it has other benefits too.

And I think these hasn't been mentioned:
Magnesium (if you are deficient) lowers BP. Good cheap solution. Magnesium Taurate should be a bit better for BP but I think any form that has good bioavailability is a good choice.
Olive leaf extract, some studies show it lowers BP. And in some quite a lot.
Curcumin/tumeric helps a little, but it's really good for inflamation. Good for seasoning food and not expensive.
Ashwagandha also helps a little but has a lot of other benefits.
Policosanol mainly helps with cholesterol but a little with BP too.
Reservatrol too. But don't go drinking wine if BP is high :)

huxley309

huxley309

Awards
  • Established
Celery seed, ameal peptide and an occasional aspirin.

Todd Garner

Todd Garner

Awards
  • Established
I do have some Grape Seed Extract on the way. A lot with some Heavy Metal Detox

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Cinnamon
Garlic
Olive leaf
To name a few

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Wow, that is a lot more than the 200-400 mg. It is pretty cheap though, so affordable even at your doses. Are you getting good results?
There are multitudes of things that are good for you, yet there is no way to acutely tell that they are doing something. It's like asking if you are getting good results from Kale or Spinach :) Since I take it "just because" (not because I had high BP, in which case your question *would* be a good one), my answer is: Couldn't tell ya :D

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Did you get this figured out? I'm in a similar boat; no idea why I have such wide variations in blood pressure. I'm already prescribed 10mg bisoprolol, and now experimenting with celery seed extract, olive leaf extract, aged garlic extract, and beetroot juice. Hawthorne berry, Agmatine, ecklonia cava haven't done anything.

Edit: I do know for myself, I'm very sensitive to sodium induced BP spikes. Sucks, because I love salty carbage!

Todd Garner

Todd Garner

Awards
  • Established
Did you get this figured out? I'm in a similar boat; no idea why I have such wide variations in blood pressure. I'm already prescribed 10mg bisoprolol, and now experimenting with celery seed extract, olive leaf extract, aged garlic extract, and beetroot juice. Hawthorne berry, Agmatine, ecklonia cava haven't done anything.

Edit: I do know for myself, I'm very sensitive to sodium induced BP spikes. Sucks, because I love salty carbage!
Been taking 50mg of Cozaar every morning, seems to be doing the trick but my bp still spikes time to time during the day but not near as bad. I believe the longer I'm on the Cozaar the better it will work. Everything otc didn't do anything for me.

Todd Garner

Todd Garner

Awards
  • Established
A water pill might do you good if salt has a big affect on you.

NewAgeMayan

Awards
You guys taking CSE, is your product standardized (for 3nb)?

NewAgeMayan

Awards
Yes; taking Swanson's. We'll see what happens in a couple weeks. I just started it.
Interesting, some people report acute benefits. Youve seen none from your first few doses?

You gonna dose 2c/d?

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Interesting, some people report acute benefits. Youve seen none from your first few doses?

You gonna dose 2c/d?
The study used in the Life Extension article reported improvements at 3 weeks and 6 weeks. If there's been any benefit so far, it's only been minor and I wouldn't notice a 2-3 point improvement. I am dosing 2 caps per day, equivalent to what was used in the same study.

Todd Garner

Todd Garner

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, but diuretics side effects are terrible from everything I've read.
I'm sure some may have side affects from them, I've had zero. Mine is mixed with a low dose beta blocker so hard to tell which ones helping. I could train my ass off and through the day still have a 85 pulse or better, got that fixed now

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I'm sure some may have side affects from them, I've had zero. Mine is mixed with a low dose beta blocker so hard to tell which ones helping. I could train my ass off and through the day still have a 85 pulse or better, got that fixed now
What med is that?
My pulse stays around 60 due to the bisoprolol.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Ever tried pink salt, it's a much better altertantive that's meant to lower bp.
No, looks interesting though. But I don't really add salt to anything, I just end up eating too much that's already on pizza and wings.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
No, looks interesting though. But I don't really add salt to anything, I just end up eating too much that's already on pizza and wings.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
If it contains salt, the colour won't change a damn thing, lol. It is still sodium after all.

sKooTz

Awards
I used to be prescribed inderol for my HBP. After about 5 years. I stopped taking it because I really dislike taking prescription meds. I've been using CoQ10 since, and I really notice a difference. It might be worth a shot. I think anywhere from 200mg to 300mg a day is all ya need.