Old NAC

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I was planning on picking up some supplements for various areas of general health, and was looking into NAC, as it's pretty cheap, and then I remembered I have an old bottle bottle of 150g NAC powder. It says it was manufactured in 12/2013, which makes it about 2.5 years old. Should I just use this, or since NAC is pretty cheap anyway, just pick up some new NAC? It's been opened, but has been closed (lid on) in a cool and dark-ish environment the whole time. Thanks.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I found a spec-sheet from a biochem company that says it has a shelf-life of 3 years if stored at 2-8°C, but mine has been stored at about 22-23°C.

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'd probably grab a new batch.

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks, that's probably a good idea, especially since I can get it capped for $3.60 a month at 1.2g/day.
Damn! Yeah, I'd for sure be doing that.

Brand?

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It's not. Particular reason why though?
Lots of failed tests. I tested out of their NAC batches out of curiosity in the past (NAC has a particular smell and this was scentless), and it wasn't NAC.

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lots of failed tests. I tested out of their NAC batches out of curiosity in the past (NAC has a particular smell and this was scentless), and it wasn't NAC.
Good to know. I knew they had some shadiness in the past but wasn't quite sure exactly on what products.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Interesting. The old tub of NAC powder I have does have a characteristic smell.

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good to know. I knew they had some shadiness in the past but wasn't quite sure exactly on what products.
If you have access to consumer reports, they show a bunch of failed tests from many different companies

Interesting. The old tub of NAC powder I have does have a characteristic smell.
Probably good to go then. If you're worried though, just buy a new tub because it's cheap.

Daycrawler

Awards
  • Established
Fwiw, I've never used any NAC besides just dosing Cycle Assist at 3 caps/day.

You could do 4 caps and it's like $11 for a month of NAC plus bunch of other goodies.

NewAgeMayan

Awards
NAC smells to me like a mild rotten egg fart.