Trust issues with some companies and some thoughts

sareea

Awards
Hello all,
I am sorry for my newbish mind.

It has been a long time for me looking around for lab tests, and googling a bit about the labs itself.
I do this before I buy any protein. And still I have a lot suspicion.

For example, take a look at people reviews at SR or BB or any other site, compare the product itself for its Natural version: the delicious gets a 9-10 score and the natural gets 7-9. lol !

And I am having serious trust issues with a lot of brands recently, for example:

I have tried MyProtein Total Protein blend for like a year, and I surely felt some improvement on it, but if you look closely at their ingredients.
They surely tend to neglect this product. Glutamine peptides ? Not enough flavors, THEY ONLY GOT 1% of EGGS in it as their rep said to me. and they deleted my review about it evern thought i gave it a high score, just because I mentioned the downfalls of it
And After I tried other blends like PES, I felt a lot of difference, my body and physique a lot better on select than on Total Protein.
I know that a lot love and trust MP thats why I am asking here about it, maybe their whey and isolate are good, but we all should suspect the flavoured options as no lab would go and test all the flavours... Labdoor tested only the unflavored one..

What do you think guys?

Audioph1x

Audioph1x

Awards
  • Established
No one on this forum will think you're out of line for being suspicious of ANY supplement. You should always be suspicious of products in the supplement industry. Don't give your money to anyone unless they earn it.

There are good supplement companies that maintain honesty and transparency with their products. Those companies employ knowledgeable and experienced individuals who maintain the same honestly and integrity.

This forum is full of great reps providing info and receiving feedback. It's not uncommon for them to post lab results when asked. Don't give your money to anyone not willing to maintain that level of transparency.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
I would have to agree on the MP comment. I've been suspicious of the quality at times too. And getting a good deal on whey is always nice, but it makes me wonder where they cut corners to get the price so low. Definitely something to be considered, and in to hear what others have to say haha

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yep I agree with you statement. Now a days you really have to pay attention of what is in the products and find a company that you trust. PES is a great company and select is probably one of the best quality powders out there right now.

delsolrob

delsolrob

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'm a big fan of PES, always made solid products!

When it comes to protein, I'm pretty picky. I like trutein, Raw Dynamics, PES, Xtreme formulations, and Nutrabio.

protein is one of those things, the material costs have gone up, but the costs of tubs of protein haven't really changed in the last 10 years. As protein spiking has shown us, you have to pay attention! Consumers are going to have to make a choice between cheap and getting what they think they're paying for. Because the cheap ones are just that, cheap!

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I do like MyProtein as well and wonder how they sell protein for so cheap, but I also stock up on tubs during PES insiders so I don't have to deal with any other issues.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I am having a hard time believing you noticed a difference in your physique from a protein powder switch... Maybe in regards to bloating or holding some water?

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I am having a hard time believing you noticed a difference in your physique from a protein powder switch... Maybe in regards to bloating or holding some water?
Probably can be described in possibly "Whey Gut" (Whey Protein causing that kind of bloating) and switching to a mix, or something like that.

sareea

Awards
Good point lol.
There are other masking factors than protein that i changed also.
But I truly felt difference between the two.

sareea

Awards
Probably can be described in possibly "Whey Gut" (Whey Protein causing that kind of bloating) and switching to a mix, or something like that.
Hhhhh.
The changes i guess are not due to protein... You are right guys.
I tried Alphamine (old)
Switched bcaas brand.
And changed my exercise to lower/upper body.
Select also got leucine, I dont know how anabolic it is but i guess it gave a little boost.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Yea that makes more sense.

Good point lol.
There are other masking factors than protein that i changed also.
But I truly felt difference between the two.
Didnt mean to nitpick just wanted to clarify. I think select is awesome so no hate there, just a lil confused by what you said.

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hhhhh.
The changes i guess are not due to protein... You are right guys.
I tried Alphamine (old)
Switched bcaas brand.
And changed my exercise to lower/upper body.
Select also got leucine, I dont know how anabolic it is but i guess it gave a little boost.
I mean, I'm just pointing out what could have changed it. Your case may be different, but I used to use Whey Protein and switching to Whey/Casein mixes are not only more pleasurable to drink, but leave me less with the "protein gut".

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I mean, I'm just pointing out what could have changed it. Your case may be different, but I used to use Whey Protein and switching to Whey/Casein mixes are not only more pleasurable to drink, but leave me less with the "protein gut".
Protein in general does that to me. Lean beef aminos are the only protein supp that doesnt. That stuff is phenominal. I still use protein all the time, i just mentally keep a note that im going to be bloated. I dont trip.

sareea

Awards
Protein in general does that to me. Lean beef aminos are the only protein supp that doesnt. That stuff is phenominal. I still use protein all the time, i just mentally keep a note that im going to be bloated. I dont trip.
Isolates makes you bloat also ?

sareea

Awards
It all does to some degree. Isolate much less. They all have artificial sweetners. Real food is the best
Maybe lactose intolerance?

I agree about food and the sweeteners. I wish pes made a delicious sucralose only/non sweeteners version, i am gonna get smacked here for this lol.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Maybe lactose intolerance?

I agree about food and the sweeteners. I wish pes made a delicious sucralose only/non sweeteners version, i am gonna get smacked here for this lol.
Idk i dont think its the lactose intolerance, i think that protein powders are just simulated food sources and are used to supplement for what you cant get from food. I do not feel they are as optimal as a real food meal and if i have a choice i will always choose a meal over a shake. Events in life sometimes make it impossible to do, so shakes come in handy, they are a tool. Food is more thermogenic as well, just overall better. Anyways select is on point, i dont have alot of issues from it at all. Just notice im tigherter and hold less water when i cut the shakes out. Thats all.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Protein is one of those things, the material costs have gone up, but the costs of tubs of protein haven't really changed in the last 10 years.
Well, all protein comes from Dairys, where the *PRIME* focus is on Cheese production. Almost 9 Billion people on this rock eat cheese - not so many drink protein shakes :) Whey is a *waste* product of Cheese Production - it's almost free to the Dairy (had to buy a cow, milking equipment, etc... but you get the picture). They used to throw it out/feed it to livestock back in the day. So why does it even cost what it does now? I'd love to get a job at Fontanna or Glanbia for a few months to get the real scoop :D

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well, all protein comes from Dairys, where the *PRIME* focus is on Cheese production. Almost 9 Billion people on this rock eat cheese - not so many drink protein shakes :) Whey is a *waste* product of Cheese Production - it's almost free to the Dairy (had to buy a cow, milking equipment, etc... but you get the picture). They used to throw it out/feed it to livestock back in the day. So why does it even cost what it does now? I'd love to get a job at Fontanna or Glanbia for a few months to get the real scoop :D
Got very confused for a second since it's been years of being in school which was about the only place I ever heard discussion of the world's population, so I resorted to google:

Capture.JPG

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
world population:

Pushing the damn limit, lol

NewAgeMayan

Awards
Fonterra :)

Im NZ, where Fonterra is based, and can buy big 20kg 'cement bags' of their whey isolate/concentrate pretty much direct from factory.

In the last 8-10 years, the cost of purchase has increased more than double. For what you accurately described as essentially a by/waste product.

Clear demonstration of where there is a consumer demand for something...

Reminds me of Fight Club, where they sold rich ladies back their liposuctioned fat as 'high end' soap.

johnnyp

johnnyp

Awards
  • Established
For what it's worth I've seen a couple tests in which Myprotein met label claims, it's not every single batch but there aren't many that can offer that.

Beachin

Beachin

Awards
I have had great success (and no bloat) with Promix. It's a grass-feed protein with a variety of flavors. They even offer a sampler pack, so you can try them all out.

USPlabsRep

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I guess you can call it free when you need multi million dollars worth of equipment to process the whey, a large staff, and a dedicated building....

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don't trust most companies and definitely don't trust any blends so end up making my own. There a few out there and on here that I like for single ingredients and will support them.

sareea

Awards
I don't trust most companies and definitely don't trust any blends so end up making my own. There a few out there and on here that I like for single ingredients and will support them.
Can you point us to a good tutorial on how to make your own ?

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Can you point us to a good tutorial on how to make your own ?
No, it is simply having a capping tool and a scale. I sit down for an hour or two and cap a months worth. I don't do this for everything as I mentioned there are companies out there that I trust and just purchase their product.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Generally speaking, if it is too good to be true, look the other way. This is true with most things in life. I have never used MP, I do not know their quality, but I'll pass given the insane deals they have. I will buy their peanut butter when it is on sale though.

NewAgeMayan

Awards
Generally speaking, if it is too good to be true, look the other way. This is true with most things in life. I have never used MP, I do not know their quality, but I'll pass given the insane deals they have. I will buy their peanut butter when it is on sale though.
This is, of course, pretty much the gist of the criticism's aimed at Bpi and their perpetual BOGOs.

NewAgeMayan

Awards
I guess you can call it free when you need multi million dollars worth of equipment to process the whey, a large staff, and a dedicated building....
As much as it sux, from a consumer PoV, at the end of the day youre right of course. Manufacturer owns that waste, if he can find a market for it (or a market presents itself), damn right he will sell it. If he doesnt, his competitor will.

Its only natural, of course, for us to think "wtf, you were gonna bin that crap and now you expect me to pay for it?!?"

Kinda like buying a carpenters sawdust. Or cow dung to spread on the garden.

Raw Dog

Raw Dog

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Coca-Cola is the main reason. Right around the time they launched all the protein Gatorade products and signed a huge contract is when whey products went from ~$5 a pound on sale to being $10+ on sale

TheMaster

TheMaster

Banned
Awards
If a person uses their Whey in moderation ( 1 scoop post workout only) having bloat from it is highly unlikely.

fitstar

Awards
No MP protein for me anymore...

....as I simply dislike their Whey's texture. Moreover, here in Germany, Mp gets a lot of advertisement but recently there was some discussion on protein spiking,etc.

Hard for me to chose on a new supplier for protein powder.
Was a big fan of Biotech Iso Whey Zero. -sorry, do not want to advertise for that company- as I liked the consistency of their powder and they nutrition facts were awesome. But a company that claims to produce a protein that is so pure and high quality, should not put any additional stuff in their powder, ie food colour like tartrazine. No, I am not a health nut and I should make some more healthier diet habits but when I look for a protein I search for a product that offers pure, high quality, priority is to bring up some decent nutritional profile and try to limit any unuseful additives.
If it tastes good then this is great but taste not the most important.

Tried Anabolic Protein Fusion from a company that is called Peak and is quite popular in Germany. Is a blend of whey and soy isolate, has a terrific amino profile and tastes ok.

Hmmm, not so easy to find Pes Select Protein here (quite expensive) and also Cellucor. Liked Select Protein, Cellucor Whey was ok but not so great that I absolutely need it and the values are not the best....
According to the members here, Mts Machine Whey and also Trutein are considered favorites and seem to be trustful companies.

Well, hope to read more advice on high quality brands!

Fitstar :)

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
As much as it sux, from a consumer PoV, at the end of the day youre right of course. Manufacturer owns that waste, if he can find a market for it (or a market presents itself), damn right he will sell it. If he doesnt, his competitor will.

Its only natural, of course, for us to think "wtf, you were gonna bin that crap and now you expect me to pay for it?!?"

Kinda like buying a carpenters sawdust. Or cow dung to spread on the garden.
Right, I never said I expected it for free. And eventually the equipment and building is paid off (and they definitely get a nice tax break right off the bat). But the Whey is still free, unless someone can post up who and what Glanbia pays for raw Whey :)

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
www.stack3d.com is a very reputable site in my mind as well as www.priceplow.com

There are now a handful of companies manufacturing full disclosure protein products, Muscle-Elements, NutraBio, Grenade and now Man Sports.

I know it is a pipedream but I cannot wait for the day the FDA finally catches up with the Supplement industry and mandates all products be full disclosure labels. I realize by doing this there is still not a 100% guarantee that the label matches the ingredients but.

Stepping off my soap box...