Can switching brands of Protein make a signficant difference to your physique?

TheMaster

TheMaster

Banned
Awards
So all this talk on here about protein lately made me thinking. Can a person actually benefit from switching from one brand to another?

If a person is using a protein with a solid profile you probably wouldn't notice much by changing to another solid brand except the flavor of it. But say a person is using a cheap protein with a bad profile, well switching over to a protein such as PEScience Select or USPlabs Modern Protein would make a much more significant difference.

Your thoughts on this please.

sareea

Awards
Even though I am a newbie, I want to share my thought :)
I believe that as long as the source of protein is clean you won't notice any difference. Even with different sources of milk and manufacturers, because it goes into microfiltration/ultra... and the few differences between the sources are diminshed heavily.
This is true as long as you compare 1:1 regarding everything. Blend VS a blend, and in case the both are clean I believe it is the same.

But it is good to note that rotating is not a bad thing, or have the in same time few of different brands is actually good. Because variation is good to the body, in everything :)

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If you are depending on protein powder to meet your protein goals, you have a problem.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If you are depending on protein powder to meet your protein goals, you have a problem.
I guess it depends on how high your protein goals are though. 1g/lb is doable without powder for sure, but some people prefer closer to 2g/lb (not saying I'd recommend it for everyone), which is harder to get from whole foods.

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It only makes a difference if you get all of your protein from protein powder, which is bad.

TheMaster

TheMaster

Banned
Awards
I wonder if there are people out there who get all their protein per day from Whey supplementation. Wouldn't surprise me.

NewAgeMayan

Awards
OP, I propose you do 6mnths of a bad protein powder, then 6mnths of a good. For this to work, you should ideally refrain from other supps, and posting here so as not to be placeboically influenced.

Just my thoughts. Cheers.

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I wonder if there are people out there who get all their protein per day from Whey supplementation. Wouldn't surprise me.
That is literally impossible unless the only thing they consume is whey and water. And at that point, they would have a plethora of other issues from malnutrition lol

TheMaster

TheMaster

Banned
Awards
That is literally impossible unless the only thing they consume is whey and water. And at that point, they would have a plethora of other issues from malnutrition lol
Well if not entirely dependent on Whey Supplementation for protein I can guarantee you there are plenty of people out there who depend on it too much to meet their protein macronutrients for the day.

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well if not entirely dependent on Whey Supplementation for protein I can guarantee you there are plenty of people out there who depend on it too much to meet their protein macronutrients for the day.
I'm all about that steak and barbacoa

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
A lot of the current marketing around specific protein powders and ratios etc. focus on very specific time periods, which is usually "following resistance training".

If we take this study for example: http://jap.physiology.org/content/107/3/987.short it focuses specifically on how casein, whey or soy protein impact MPS following resistance training. MPS is overused here for how it applies to increases in hypertrophy over time, and so focusing on JUST the MPS response, can easily sway a buyer into spending more than they need to. The most important nutritional factors for hypertrophy are calorie excesses and protein intake.

http://www.academia.edu/19708919/Commentaries_on_Viewpoint_What_is_the_relationship_between_acute_measure_of_muscle_protein_synthesis_and_changes_in_muscle_mass

The above is a great commentary on this exact thing. We spend so much time discussing MPS and how to spike it every 5 minutes (also bad anyway due to the refractory periods), but overall substrate availability is FAR more important than spiking MPS.

In short, I doubt you'd notice a difference if swapping a blend for whey, where protein intake is standardized.

machinehead

machinehead

Awards
  • Established
overall substrate availability is FAR more important than spiking MPS.
OP, in the rare case that your digestion is so poor that your substrate availability from your current protein source is suboptimal and you are not taking free-from BCAA/EAA, you might feel a huge difference from adding (or substituting) just 20g of good hydrolized protein such as PeptoPro and Proto Whey. I was in such a situation once but now I use unprocessed protein sources 95% of the time and I don't buy (and don't like the taste of) protein powder anymore.

TheMaster

TheMaster

Banned
Awards
OP, in the rare case that your digestion is so poor that your substrate availability from your current protein source is suboptimal and you are not taking free-from BCAA/EAA, you might feel a huge difference from adding (or substituting) just 20g of good hydrolized protein such as PeptoPro and Proto Whey. I was in such a situation once but now I use unprocessed protein sources 95% of the time and I don't buy (and don't like the taste of) protein powder anymore.
Do you supplement with BCAA's before or during your workouts if training fasted?

Erikeckert

Erikeckert

Awards
What is the best whey per $ a scoop? ON??

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Profile and cost are A+. Taste is a B, though. The chocolate flavors are generally stronger

USPlabsRep

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So all this talk on here about protein lately made me thinking. Can a person actually benefit from switching from one brand to another?

If a person is using a protein with a solid profile you probably wouldn't notice much by changing to another solid brand except the flavor of it. But say a person is using a cheap protein with a bad profile, well switching over to a protein such as PEScience Select or USPlabs Modern Protein would make a much more significant difference.

its protein balance over time, Casein out performs whey on protein balance. whey is marketed more, is cheaper and easier to flavor and has the sexy protein synthesis claim. Combing the two proteins have been proven more effective than one or the other. I like the idea of combing the benefits of a fast digesting whey (anabolic) and a slow digesting casein like MPI (anti catabolic) into one product. best of both worlds.

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
The Master the answer is No. As a matter of fact you don't even need protein powder.Food is more than enough. Also there's no such thing as an anabolic window after working out. These minute changes, differences, etc are not going to make significant changes to your physique. The only thing I've seen make crazy differences to a persons physique are anabolic drugs

Juicedeez utz

Juicedeez utz

Awards
  • Established
If I didn't have 2 shakes a day during the week I literally couldn't meet my macros, work is a big factor and I can't eat out in the workshop and have a 1 hour lunch brake, sucks!

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
It could, if you were currently using one that is spiked lol.

Otherwise fairly minimal differences as long as you keep the same macros. Over a long time you could see some difference if you used an inferior form, also. (Pea/soy/whatever)

Switch some of it for meat and it's always a win too

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It could, if you were currently using one that is spiked lol.

Otherwise fairly minimal differences as long as you keep the same macros. Over a long time you could see some difference if you used an inferior form, also. (Pea/soy/whatever)

Switch some of it for meat and it's always a win too
Pea protein may not be such a bad alternative:
In addition to an appropriate training, the supplementation with pea protein promoted a greater increase of muscle thickness as compared to Placebo and especially for people starting or returning to a muscular strengthening. Since no difference was obtained between the two protein groups, vegetable pea proteins could be used as an alternative to Whey-based dietary products.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25628520

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
So it tied whey protein? Well within margins, cool.

Might be the king veggie option then.
The ones I have tried tasted BAD lol

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I'm pretty sure lee labrada had times where he only had one solid meal a day and the rest were from protein shakes. Now idk if that's true or not. Everything you read on the internet is true right;)

USPlabsRep

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The Master the answer is No. As a matter of fact you don't even need protein powder.Food is more than enough. Also there's no such thing as an anabolic window after working out. These minute changes, differences, etc are not going to make significant changes to your physique. The only thing I've seen make crazy differences to a persons physique are anabolic drugs
True...You don't need a powder. It can't be denied that a reputable protein powder is a highly concentrated quality protein that is convenient to use. I like the idea of a quick meal. You may want to chew your way there but obviously many do not.

all the other stuff is all half truths. Consistently eating post workout be it a meal or a powder is beneficial to recovery. Try not eating 5-6 hours post workout consistently and report back.

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
I haven't used a protein supplement in almost a year. Stuck with whole food for meeting macro requirements, and I must say it's worked better for me than the three years I supplemented religiously with protein. I'm not against it, per say, but I do not rely on it at all anymore and would only consider having a shake if a.) I knew for a fact that it would be impossible for me get some form of whole food for a duration of time longer than 3-4 hours and b.) if I were down to the last week or so before a comp and my cals had to be EXACT and my protein total was already lower than it should be. Both of those can be fixed with proper planning though

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
True...You don't need a powder. It can't be denied that a reputable protein powder is a highly concentrated quality protein that is convenient to use. I like the idea of a quick meal. You may want to chew your way there but obviously many do not.

all the other stuff is all half truths. Consistently eating post workout be it a meal or a powder is beneficial to recovery. Try not eating 5-6 hours post workout consistently and report back.
This. I'll have clients add 1/2 scoops here and there to meals when pushing cals and getting food down is blah. Modern Protein can be delicious finish to a hearty 8oz chicken/potato meal

USPlabsRep

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I haven't used a protein supplement in almost a year. Stuck with whole food for meeting macro requirements, and I must say it's worked better for me than the three years I supplemented religiously with protein. I'm not against it, per say, but I do not rely on it at all anymore and would only consider having a shake if a.) I knew for a fact that it would be impossible for me get some form of whole food for a duration of time longer than 3-4 hours and b.) if I were down to the last week or so before a comp and my cals had to be EXACT and my protein total was already lower than it should be. Both of those can be fixed with proper planning though
its a matter of preference and majority of the world is not eating 5 times a day...

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
its a matter of preference and majority of the world is not eating 5 times a day...
Well, yeah. Like I said, I'm not against it by any means. I'm not eating 5 meals per day either, it's not practical in my line of work. If someone prefers to get 100g from a couple shakes rather than whole food, more power to them. All I was saying was that protein supplements aren't a necessity and you can hit your macros by other means a majority of the time.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well, yeah. Like I said, I'm not against it by any means. I'm not eating 5 meals per day either, it's not practical in my line of work. If someone prefers to get 100g from a couple shakes rather than whole food, more power to them. All I was saying was that protein supplements aren't a necessity and you can hit your macros by other means a majority of the time.
Pretty much this. There are times when I'm busy or out and I'll have a protein shake with some sort of snack-type food (a bag of chips, rice cakes, etc) as a little meal; much better than just a snack or nothing.

USPlabsRep

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I usually mix my protein powder with whole foods

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Switching from a USP product yes there would be a difference as you'd be going from a company that spikes products and doesn't meet label claims to a company that may actually be legit.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Have to agree. You'd swear some people are competing or thinking every little change will make or break them. The key word is consistency.

TheMaster

TheMaster

Banned
Awards
Switching from a USP product yes there would be a difference as you'd be going from a company that spikes products and doesn't meet label claims to a company that may actually be legit.
What brands do you recommend ?

Raw Dog

Raw Dog

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Lol subbed

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
I'd say with the way this community over-consumes protein (as far as hypertrophy dreams go), even going from non-spiked to spiked won't matter, LOL.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I'd say with the way this community over-consumes protein (as far as hypertrophy dreams go), even going from non-spiked to spiked won't matter, LOL.
lol, exactly.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am lazy.

I like swapping protein powders for foods just for sake of ease some times and particularly at work (where I could get away with not claiming a lunch hour and leave early). Easy to slam a shake real quick and keep rolling. But one thing I will say is that I've grown more and more tired of shakes and thoroughly enjoy baking with protein powder more, now.

That's one thing that I think definitely shouldn't be overlooked. Whey isn't necessarily just for shakes; having it in the cupboard to make your own desserts is wonderful -- especially with all of the delicious flavors that are popping up these days.

Raw Dog

Raw Dog

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
What brands do you recommend ?
Iforce and xtreme formulations have the best flavors on the market imo

PES select is not to far behind and has one of if not the best profiles on the market

Purus has been getting rave reviews as well so I'm looking to try theirs soon

mase1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
No difference, used usp labs banana for probably 6 months(best tasting ever). And now us whatever is 50% off at vitamin shoppe. Which is so called top brands so could be legit. No difference in recovery or body comp. I actually do look better when I stop taking a whey and just eat food, but addicted to the simplicity. Side note, talking to other people that workout out side the US or protein intake is laughable to them. Who knows.

TheMaster

TheMaster

Banned
Awards
Iforce and xtreme formulations have the best flavors on the market imo

PES select is not to far behind and has one of if not the best profiles on the market

Purus has been getting rave reviews as well so I'm looking to try theirs soon
So basically what you are telling me is no need to change from PEScience. Only reason I would change is for a flavor that they don't carry. I love their Cookies and Cream and Snickerdoodle.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
So basically what you are telling me is no need to change from PEScience. Only reason I would change is for a flavor that they don't carry. I love their Cookies and Cream and Snickerdoodle.
Thanks for the support sir

Trying out the new Frosted Chocolate Cupcake? On this sale it brings serious value per $

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Pm coming