Leucine and protein absorption

bosskardo

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hi,
Does taking leucine significally improve protein absorption or is it only minor effect or somewhere in between?

And does it matter when to take it?
Is taking 1-2h before protein shake effective?
Is adding to protein shake effective? Aminos are absorbed faster than protein but I'd imagine taking leucine with protein lessens it's (leucine) absorption.

Currently, I've been adding leucine to my intra-wo drink and take protein shake right after the wo (while stretching).

Thanks
any thoughts welcome

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Layne Norton and Stuart Phillips are the two guys with a lot of research on this. Not familiar with Layne, so other's can chime in, but in the Churchward-Venne study that Phillips was in on, they found adding Leucine to a LOW amount of Whey (6g IIRC) made it *almost* as effective as a full serving Whey Shake (25g IIRC) as far as MPS goes - but not equal or better. BUT MPS isn't the be-all/end-all, you also need a total amount of Protein per day, so when would you be taking 6g shakes? A full 25-40g shake is best (older peeps need more)... and Leucine above a certain amount, does nothing extra. I'd say save your money and just dose full Whey/Casein shakes in the 25-40g amounts.

TeamTGB

TeamTGB

Awards
Hi,
Does taking leucine significally improve protein absorption or is it only minor effect or somewhere in between?

And does it matter when to take it?
Is taking 1-2h before protein shake effective?
Is adding to protein shake effective? Aminos are absorbed faster than protein but I'd imagine taking leucine with protein lessens it's (leucine) absorption.

Currently, I've been adding leucine to my intra-wo drink and take protein shake right after the wo (while stretching).

Thanks
any thoughts welcome
Echoing what the old guy stated already, if i can recall correctly anything above 4g of leucine at once is a waste and doesn't maximize protein synthesis anymore.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
yeah there is no benefit to add more luecine after a certain amount.....and I don't buy bulk luecine on it's own but I have supplemented smaller meals or less quality protein meals with aminos.....for example if your bulking and your looking for some extra calories, a lot of ppl turn to natty pb...well 1 servings of pb might only give you 7grams of protein, add in some luecine or bulk bcaa and you'll be able to increase MPS past what 7grams of protein from nuts will give you

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
^all this

And this will help a lot tracking leucine intake at meals

ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1466537949.432832.jpg

bosskardo

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
^all this

And this will help a lot tracking leucine intake at meals

View attachment 137020
Thanks,
That table is pretty useful.
So mixing protein powder in milk is beneficial? I've done this to some proteins that don't taste so good but not ofter as it's inconvenient to carry milk with me to the gym.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Hey why not, I love shakes in real milk. My lunch bag is s 6-Pack so it stays chilly for me when I'm on the run.

But it's easier if your work has a fridge. Otherwise I might opt for Cashew Milk or another good at room temp still.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
These are just optimal values right? Not like anything less is a waste?
Absolutely, this is only a chart aimed to hitting the leucine threshold with various sources.

Big picture always wins