Are JYM products the most overrated on the market?

TheMaster

TheMaster

Banned
Awards
Especially the pre workout? Not really sure about the philosophy of using ingredients that may help with results a priority over giving someone something that really helps with performance and you can really feel. But that's JYM for you. Seems like a lot of his philosophy is built on bro science. Do you agree?

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Solid products with backed research by science.

He just spits a lot of broscience regarding supplementation and when/how to use.

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
I also think price plays a role. When you can just as good or better products (ie, Conqu3r Unleashed) at a better price point, I think that also lends to the overrated feel.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
They're okay supps but imo not worth the money. I think the reason they're over priced is because he has all the videos explaining everything and how it works.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
His hype is the problem (he started out fine when he had 1 or 2 items...then it got baaaaaad). If you compare his stuff to the equally dosed/servs competitition - it actually isn't *too* over-priced - but I haven't done an apples to apples comaparo in a while (what's retail on 4lbs or ProJym vs 3.xxlbs of Select with no deals, coupons, etc...?). To me, *all* Tier 1 and 2 level supps are over-priced when you look at what's in them and then visit a bulk powder supplier and pick up some Crystal Light :D But paying for convenience is reasonable, no argument from me there.

TheMaster

TheMaster

Banned
Awards
I took his pre. Stuff is just not very good when you want something that provides intense focus, increased strength and endurance.

Run579

Run579

Awards
I took his pre. Stuff is just not very good when you want something that provides intense focus, increased strength and endurance.
Wait, I thought you were a "proud member of the jym army?" I don't like how he splits the pre/post so you need to take both to get clinical dosages of some ingredients.

lifted67

lifted67

Awards
  • Established
Catalyst by Momentum Nutrition is a very well dosed product, similar to Pre Jym and right now it's on sale $22 for 30 servings. Much better deal.

Tylerclee

Tylerclee

Awards
  • Established
Catalyst by Momentum Nutrition is a very well dosed product, similar to Pre Jym and right now it's on sale $22 for 30 servings. Much better deal.
Just looked up "catalyst" not too shabby. Pre Jym is good for those that believe in BCAAs pre workout. "Pre series bulk" by transparent labs is almost the same ingredients with a little less caffeine dosing only 180mg (300mg in pre Jym), but it has 50mg synephrine hcl. The synephrine tends to mellow caffeine effects but makes ME able to push out more reps.

Tylerclee

Tylerclee

Awards
  • Established
But I do like a pre-workout with agmatine. (Great pumps). I'm looking forward to trying conqu3r unleashed with creatinol-O-phosphate. Just with it had betaine.

lifted67

lifted67

Awards
  • Established
This is where sample packs come in handy ya know? Two bad most of are 2 servings in pack, like anyone is actually going to measure out, in grams, 2 separate doses lol

I have Pre Series too and like it, taste isn't the best, but the ingredient profile is solid.

TheMaster

TheMaster

Banned
Awards
I think this guys **** is a rip off to be honest with you.

And what is even funnier is how he does those videos talking about how important bro science is with his products.

"Oh you must take my pre and post workout to grow. Also drink PRO JYM during your workout, since thats what I do. And do you not forget to take post carb Jym as well along with a handful of gummy bears."

I think I'll stick to a real meal post workout that is actually beneficial to my body consisting of rice and skinless chicken breast with a nice healthy salad.

lifted67

lifted67

Awards
  • Established
Fitness is a business, of course he's going to say that.

De__eB

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Wait, I thought you were a "proud member of the jym army?" I don't like how he splits the pre/post so you need to take both to get clinical dosages of some ingredients.
A tremendous number of companies do that in basically every industry, since it means more sales if they can get people to buy within their ecosystem.

Same reason your iphone/macbook/apple watch/apple software work better together if you are using all apple products.

Same reason your Samsung Galaxy Gear only works fully with your Samsung Galaxy phone.

It's called smart marketing, and both he and BB.com are making a killing on their direct sales of house brands like his.

And what is even funnier is how he does those videos talking about how important bro science is with his products.

"Oh you must take my pre and post workout to grow. Also drink PRO JYM during your workout, since thats what I do. And do you not forget to take post carb Jym as well along with a handful of gummy bears."

I think I'll stick to a real meal post workout that is actually beneficial to my body consisting of rice and skinless chicken breast with a nice healthy salad.
You should be eating a real meal post workout whether you're taking a postworkout supplement or not.

Supplements are supplements to your diet, not a replacement for your diet.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
a lot of supplement companies are all about marketing, weather it's broscience or not, some will claim "science" and then you read the report they are using for their information and it makes you turn a sideways eye, like you really took a big research paper and took 2 sentences from it? good job company

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
^^^this combined with an extremely naive general population tha thinks supplements are magic. These are the same people that think the only thing holding them back is that last pre that "didn't work". As educated supplement users is good that there are still a few companies that care to do real work and make good stuff.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards

Wasn't this you?

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplements/281874-any-jym-army.html

Have you done a complete 180 degrees in 17 days? Don't get me wrong, fine if you have - knowledge is power - I just want to make sure I'm not experiencing early onset dimentia.

GQNemesis

GQNemesis

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Overpriced and seems like owner bashes other co.

ill never support them .. saw his video of stating he has the only protein that as a non prop blend.

GTFO mr ceo

TheMaster

TheMaster

Banned
Awards
Wasn't this you?

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplements/281874-any-jym-army.html

Have you done a complete 180 degrees in 17 days? Don't get me wrong, fine if you have - knowledge is power - I just want to make sure I'm not experiencing early onset dimentia.
Yes I am. I made the mistake of believing that what is on the label is the most imporant thing when it comes to a pre workout. Which is a bunch of bull**** to be honest with you. The guys stuff is a rip off since you don't feel **** off of it. I know his stuff is backed by "science" but that only takes ya so far. Just because your supps are created with ingredients that may help with muscle growth if properly dosed with the correct amount does not mean that they are the best or work better than some companies prop blends. Many of the **** he puts in his products is based on new studies that are not 100 % proven. He also admits that most of the studies are done by himself. Is he a mad scientist? Possibly since he is a little off his rocker as you can see from his videos and how he loses his temper when talking about other companies products vs his own. Reality is there are other solid companies who's products are solid and work just as well or even better.

lifted67

lifted67

Awards
  • Established
Let's make this easier, what miracle results are you looking for with an OTC supplement?!

TheMaster

TheMaster

Banned
Awards
Let's make this easier, what miracle results are you looking for with an OTC supplement?!
Just comparing it to other supps I have tried. I can list ya 5 pre workouts that are better than his ****.

lifted67

lifted67

Awards
  • Established
Right but do you want pump? Energy? Recovery?

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
How the hell did you make such a quick swing aside from spending more time on these boards?

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
...and, IMO, Jym may be a shill, but I'd use his stuff if I got it cheap enough - dosing/ingredients/quality is fine as far as I can tell.

De__eB

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Got a much better pump and energy when I stacked it with High Volume which of course he says is stupid also.
You got a better pump when you added agmatine, nitrates, and hydromax to your preworkout?

I'm shocked.

If you take his pre/post-workout you're getting a modest stim and full doses of plenty of proven ergogens.

It's not meant to be the best pump preworkout, or a high stim preworkout.

It's a house brand product of the largest online supplement retailer, it's meant to be an everyman product.

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Most people do that based on who is giving them free product.

Others do that when they don't accidentally Arnold in three weeks on a new preworkout.
Yeah, sad truth.

TheMaster

TheMaster

Banned
Awards
You got a better pump when you added agmatine, nitrates, and hydromax to your preworkout?

I'm shocked.

If you take his pre/post-workout you're getting a modest stim and full doses of plenty of proven ergogens.

It's not meant to be the best pump preworkout, or a high stim preworkout.

It's a house brand product of the largest online supplement retailer, it's meant to be an everyman product.
So you are telling me that JYM is pretty much made by Bodybuilding.com but just with his name on it and him as the spokesperson?

De__eB

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So you are telling me that JYM is pretty much made by Bodybuilding.com but just with his name on it and him as the spokesperson?
If you think almost every single vanity brand of supplement on the market today isn't actually owned by someone else, I've got some news for you.

Tmac29

Awards
Its only found on bb.com. We call that "direct sales". They only have one distributor, and that is bb.com.

All products are made and sold to bb.com for sale. No Europa, etc. Goes straight from manufacturer to bb.com.

pulsefit

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Wouldn't be so bad if he wasn't a pompous *******.

His bashing of Nutrabio recently then not manning up shows hit character. I would not purchase any of his line.

pulsefit

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
If you think almost every single vanity brand of supplement on the market today isn't actually owned by someone else, I've got some news for you.

Rich Piana doesn't own 5%. :)

TheMaster

TheMaster

Banned
Awards
Interesting. I actually think I will start ordering from you guys to be honest with you for the future.

lifted67

lifted67

Awards
  • Established
All you mother ****ers need jesus, lol, who cares what name is on it, look at the ingredients, look at the price tag, if it has what you want and need in a pre buy it. It is truly not that hard when we have access to dozens of products that aren't prop blends:

White Flood
Max Reps
Catalyst
Pre Series
Wreckage
or just buy bulk ingredients from Amazon or something and make your own, or don't this isn't pounds and pounds of muscle we're talking about. It's pumps and DOMS recovery.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
As an extra, science doesn't attempt to prove anything like mathmatics does, it attempts to disprove the null.
If something was proven to work, it would need to happen to 100% of people, 100% of the time. But as we know that doesn't happen.

Just an addes thought

Tmac29

Awards
All you mother ****ers need jesus, lol, who cares what name is on it, look at the ingredients, look at the price tag, if it has what you want and need in a pre buy it. It is truly not that hard when we have access to dozens of products that aren't prop blends:

White Flood
Max Reps
Catalyst
Pre Series
Wreckage
or just buy bulk ingredients from Amazon or something and make your own, or don't this isn't pounds and pounds of muscle we're talking about. It's pumps and DOMS recovery.

Some of us, Me, care not to support asshats in the industry. Jym being one of them.

De__eB

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Interesting. I actually think I will start ordering from you guys to be honest with you for the future.
Don't order from us because I lay out the forum banter, order from us because we offer quality products at great prices :p

But don't expect to accidentally Arnold in three weeks with our products either.

If you weren't starting to see results after three weeks on Pre-Jym, that would be indicative of some sort of diet/exercise deficit, since the product has numerous ingredients that very likely produce results within that timeframe.

TheMaster

TheMaster

Banned
Awards
Don't order from us because I lay out the forum banter, order from us because we offer quality products at great prices :p

But don't expect to accidentally Arnold in three weeks with our products either.

If you weren't starting to see results after three weeks on Pre-Jym, that would be indicative of some sort of diet/exercise deficit, since the product has numerous ingredients that very likely produce results within that timeframe.
Its not the results I am speaking of. Its the effect the product gives to the consumer! Such as PUMP and feeling of focus/intensity. I also felt my strength was not as great on it as I did with other pre workouts I have used. For example you know what I did one day? I took a scoop of another pre I had to see if I was imagining things and I felt my lifts were better on it. I will admit that I have been taking PRE-JYM and I did recently break a PR with my decline bench on it though, but that was when I stacked it for the first time with High Volume. The other times I used it on its own with no stacking.

Do I give full credit to JYM for giving me that PR? No I do not. When I take the PRE JYM on its own I just feel like something is missing. Things just don't feel right. I don't have that tunnel vision and focus like I get from other pre workouts which cost less money. That is why I think his stuff is over priced to be honest with you for me anyway.

I could just be a stim junkie and need hardcore stuff. I do take things to the extreme so yeah thats how it is. I'll give you an example. First pre workout I ever got into was NANO Vapor. You know what I did? I took 4 scoops of that ****!

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
Most people do that based on who is giving them free product.

Others do that when they don't accidentally Arnold in three weeks on a new preworkout.
That is what I was going to say. I tend to stay loyal to companies that treat me well. I am just amazed at the wild swing of opinion. Being butt-hurt because something did not work does not mean it is garbage. Sometimes you need to analyze your deficiency in training or diet.

NewAgeMayan

Awards
If something was proven to work, it would need to happen to 100% of people, 100% of the time.
Hmm, I dunno, you may be unnecessarily demanding here.

I would think, if something is proven to work then yes, X phenomena will be observed given variables Y and
Z are also present
. So, if Y and Z are present in the right context, we can be as certain as we are ever going to be that X will occur.

If X doesnt occur as expected, then we have improperly identified the other variables, and/or there were hidden variables our crude measuring systems didnt quantify.

In other words, IF all the requisite variables are in place, creatine WILL work 100% of the time. By definition.

If creatine doesnt work, the requisite variables are not present. This does nothing to disprove creatines efficacy, in fact quite the opposite.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Hmm, I dunno, you may be unnecessarily demanding here.

I would think, if something is proven to work then yes, X phenomena will be observed given variables Y and
Z are also present
. So, if Y and Z are present in the right context, we can be as certain as we are ever going to be that X will occur.

If X doesnt occur as expected, then we have improperly identified the other variables, and/or there were hidden variables our crude measuring systems didnt quantify.

In other words, IF all the requisite variables are in place, creatine WILL work 100% of the time. By definition.

If creatine doesnt work, the requisite variables are not present. This does nothing to disprove creatines efficacy, in fact quite the opposite.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-scientific-fundamentalist/200811/common-misconceptions-about-science-i-scientific-proof

First thing I found from my phone, but conveys my point: Science does not prove anything

NewAgeMayan

Awards
Haha, yeah well now we are getting deep into philosophy of science, truth and language.

For example, an absolutist in regards to truth might disagree with that guys idea that scientific proofs are not binary. If a scientific proof or whatever you wish to call it is expressed as a linguistic proposition, then it has a truth value and that value is indeed binary by nature.

Of course, this doesnt mean the absolutist disagrees with the possibility that any scientific proof/proposition is unfalsifiable; I got the impression that guy was conflating certain key concepts? Maybe.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Haha, yeah well now we are getting deep into philosophy of science, truth and language.

For example, an absolutist in regards to truth might disagree with that guys idea that scientific proofs are not binary. If a scientific proof or whatever you wish to call it is expressed as a linguistic proposition, then it has a truth value and that value is indeed binary by nature.

Of course, this doesnt mean the absolutist disagrees with the possibility that any scientific proof/proposition is unfalsifiable; I got the impression that guy was conflating certain key concepts? Maybe.
The main reason I prefer the other, is that people assume science is always wrong because it changes. By saying it doesn't prove anything, it then begins to make more sense

NewAgeMayan

Awards
The main reason I prefer the other, is that people assume science is always wrong because it changes. By saying it doesn't prove anything, it then begins to make more sense
Yeah, man, I used to frequent certain atheist and xian/religious forums, so totally understand the motivations for what you and that blogger are claiming. But, I think part of my objection is that there is a risk of things swinging too far in the opposite direction.

EDIT: maybe to make my concerns here clearer...

...if creatine doesnt work 100% of the time as predicted by science, then magic.