X Gels and meal timing?

Lee85

Awards
I've just started taking X Gels (6 caps pre. I've been a non responder to a few things so I figure I'd start with this dosage). Lately I've been training fasted in the morning but I'm looking at moving into a clean bulk and adding in a pre workout meal. I've seen X Gels recommended on an empty stomach or after a few warm up sets if not empty. So my question is, how long should after the meal should I take them if I don't wanna have to take them at the gym? And which method have you guys found most effective?

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Can't give a specific time frame, but it depends on the size of the meal.

I'd say 1.5-2 hours and you'd be fine.

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
How big is your pre workout meal going to be and when will you be consuming it in relation to your workout?

Lee85

Awards
A handful of oatmeal and two scoops of protein is what I had in mind.

If I eat that say an hour before I workout and take the X Gels after a couple of warm up sets would that be sufficient?

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
IMO X gels is most effective taken 30 to 45 minutes pre workout just so it has some time to kick in. If you're taking a meal an hour before your workout i'd say just take the x gels a half hour later. Try that and then you may need to adjust your pre workout meal timing.

jathan_howe

Awards
IMO X gels is most effective taken 30 to 45 minutes pre workout just so it has some time to kick in. If you're taking a meal an hour before your workout i'd say just take the x gels a half hour later. Try that and then you may need to adjust your pre workout meal timing.
It doesn't need to kick in before you workout. The effects aren't acute.
All that matters is that your muscle tissue takes up as much as possible. When you take it with a meal, the presence of insulin deposits more of it with fat and other places. When you take it fasted pr while working out, nutrient uptake is shifted in favor of your muscle so it's primarily stored there. You can eat before you workout however, just take the X-Gels after your warm-up sets or some other time during your workout.

Quads_of_Stee

Quads_of_Stee

Awards
i wouldn't worry too much about the timing if it throws you into positions that make it harder to eat. But in general I would wait 30-45mins for the pre meal to digest

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
A handful of oatmeal and two scoops of protein is what I had in mind.

If I eat that say an hour before I workout and take the X Gels after a couple of warm up sets would that be sufficient?
That works.

warbird01

warbird01

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I never let my supplements dictate my meals, so I would just take it right before you go to the gym.

I know empty stomach is optimal but when you gotta eat you gotta eat. I take mine with my 25g protein/60g carbs shake right before I go to the gym in the morning and still get great results.