Bulk preworkout

khall1974

khall1974

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If I wanted to make my own preworkout from bulk supps which ones would I choose?

bdavid

bdavid

Awards
Beta alanine, creatine, caffeine, maybe an NO booster

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
If I wanted to make my own preworkout from bulk supps which ones would I choose?
Look at all the ingredients common to most Pre-Workouts, then research them on Examine.com, looking for benefits in Human (hopefully) Athletes.

Creatine and Beta Alanine are not acute, they are in Pre's simply for convenience, or the BA Paresthesia being used as a marketing tool. I'd have to look at Betaine again to see if it has acute effects. Citrulline Mallate would be a good add. After hearing some recent research on Nitrates, I stopped trying to boost NO.

When it comes down to it, and you actually look at the human performance data, strong a$$ Coffee with some L-Theanine, CM, (Maybe Betaine), Baking Soda, and Soy Lecithin Granules are probably the "Best" (and cheapest) Pre-Workout.

ssor331

Awards
Look at all the ingredients common to most Pre-Workouts, then research them on Examine.com, looking for benefits in Human (hopefully) Athletes.

Creatine and Beta Alanine are not acute, they are in Pre's simply for convenience, or the BA Paresthesia being used as a marketing tool. I'd have to look at Betaine again to see if it has acute effects. Citrulline Mallate would be a good add. After hearing some recent research on Nitrates, I stopped trying to boost NO.

When it comes down to it, and you actually look at the human performance data, strong a$$ Coffee with some L-Theanine, CM, (Maybe Betaine), Baking Soda, and Soy Lecithin Granules are probably the "Best" (and cheapest) Pre-Workout.
What research on nitrates did you see? Are there health issues involved? I have been curious about whether prolonged vasodilation can be a bad thing...

For a basic pre I'd use:

Beta alanine 4 g/day (dose not need to be taken pre)
Creatine mono 5 g/day (dose not need to be taken pre)
Caffeine 200-300 mg depending on tolerance
An additional stim (optional) could be 1g ALCAR, 50g synephrine, or 25 mg DMAA
Citrulline malate 2:1 6g

The ingredients listed above would cost ~60 cents per serving.You could also add Alpha GPC or cdp choline if you want additional focus but these ingredients tend to get expensive. Soy Lecithin granules could be added for another 25 cents or so per dose. Creatine, beta alanine, and caffeine have the strongest research behind them by far followed by cit mal and soy lecithin (PA) followed by everything else.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
What research on nitrates did you see? Are there health issues involved? I have been curious about whether prolonged vasodilation can be a bad thing...
I've been on a Super Human Radio kick lately and Mauro DiPasquale (second time I typed his name today) did a ~1hr piece on Nitric Oxide and how it may not be that great to try to boost it via KNO3. I'd have to listen again, but the negatives weren't seen with Spinach or Beets (high natural nitrate whole foods) IIRC. Since recent data suggests that 3 minute rest intervals are best for MPS anyway....

Robert5891

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
For acute benefits pre workout:
Caffeine
Citrulline
Nitrates
ALCAR
Alpha GPC
Agmatine

Staples that can be included in the pre but can be taken whenever:
Creatine
Betaine
Beta alanine

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I've been on a Super Human Radio kick lately and Mauro DiPasquale (second time I typed his name today) did a ~1hr piece on Nitric Oxide and how it may not be that great to try to boost it via KNO3. I'd have to listen again, but the negatives weren't seen with Spinach or Beets (high natural nitrate whole foods) IIRC. Since recent data suggests that 3 minute rest intervals are best for MPS anyway....
MPS is not an end all be all. Its a measure. Just like how EMG stuff for exercises doesn't necessarily equate to more mass over time.

Forest for the trees with details like these

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
MPS is not an end all be all. Its a measure. Just like how EMG stuff for exercises doesn't necessarily equate to more mass over time.

Very well said.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
For acute benefits pre workout:
Caffeine
Citrulline
Nitrates
ALCAR
Alpha GPC
Agmatine

Staples that can be included in the pre but can be taken whenever:
Creatine
Betaine
Beta alanine
All of these are great. I'd maybe throw in some glycerol as well but that's just me.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
As far as bulks, SNS and Primaforce are my go-tos.

Caffeine tabs
Citrulline malate
Gluconorolactone
Betaine
CDP Choline
Agmatine
Synephrine
ALCAR
KNO3

A combination of any of the above gets me going.

At the moment im using MaxReps with ALCAR and Choline (or Focus xT) and love it.

Audioph1x

Audioph1x

Awards
  • Established
Chit dude, I used to just do 300mg caffeine, 4g beta alanine, and 5g creatine mono. Mixed it up in water and added a little powerade mix. You can take the beta alanine and creatine whenever you want, but I added it for convenience. Nowadays I like citrulline malate and DMAA.

warbird01

warbird01

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
As far as bulks, SNS and Primaforce are my go-tos.

Caffeine tabs
Citrulline malate
Gluconorolactone
Betaine
CDP Choline
Agmatine
Synephrine
ALCAR
KNO3

A combination of any of the above gets me going.

At the moment im using MaxReps with ALCAR and Choline (or Focus xT) and love it.
Hell yeah. This is why I originally joined SNS and still love them. Great, no frill products for awesome prices.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards

http://www.lookgreatnaked.com/blog/what-is-the-ideal-rest-interval-for-muscle-growth-implications-from-our-recent-study/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26605807

Stronger and bigger vs 1 minute. Maybe using the term MPS was inaccurate on my part. Whatever "it is" 3 minutes looks good to me. Plus, I'm old(er) - so it fits my programming well :D

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Nutrition / Health 2
Nutrition / Health 1
schizm Supplements 1
SatishOG Anabolics 19
zachwienandt Supplements 6