Astragalus membranoceus dosing?

aquareef

Awards
I've been looking into astragalus as I found a bottle of it lying around - but i'm not seeing much consistency among sources in how to dose it.

Here on examine they explain:

"Astragalus membranaceus and Angelicae Sinensis are highly synergistic, meaning they are more powerful when taken together. This combination is traditionally called Dang-gui buxue tang.

The standard dose for Dang-gui buxue tang is 30g of Astragalus membranaceus root paired with 6g of Angelicae sinensis. This is a 5:1 ratio, which is ideal for extracting the bioactive ingredients of the plants.

Astragalus membranaceus can also be supplemented via a root extract. The standard dose for the root extract form is 30g."

(Link: https://examine.com/supplements/astragalus-membranaceus/)

From the ways I have seen other people dosing it this seems much higher, so I have to ask whether 500mg as in this version (see link directly below) of Astragalus (just an example product) is it suggesting taking 60 of these capsules to reach the dose of 30g?

Astragalus 500 MG (300 Capsules) at the Vitamin Shoppe

Thoughts/Clarifications?

CallItKarma

CallItKarma

Awards
This doesn't really answer your question, but hopefully it offers some perspective. My favorite creatine (which is unfortunately no longer available) - Genomyx CREignite, contained 1000 mg Astragalus Membranoceus 4:1 Root Extract. There are other reputable companies that use non-prop blends which you can compare with. CREignite is just something I know about firsthand.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This doesn't really answer your question, but hopefully it offers some perspective. My favorite creatine (which is unfortunately no longer available) - Genomyx CREignite, contained 1000 mg Astragalus Membranoceus 4:1 Root Extract. There are other reputable companies that use non-prop blends which you can compare with. CREignite is just something I know about firsthand.
3-15g equivalent. I don't know about human studies, but animal studies have shown that higher doses are more effective than lower doses.

aquareef

Awards
Just to be clear - you're saying that it would be 3 to 15 grams worth of capsules of the product i posted above? Or are you replying to CallItKarma?

Either way thanks for the input, it definitely seems to be more effective in higher doses but i wonder where diminishing returns start picking up drastically.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Just to be clear - you're saying that it would be 3 to 15 grams worth of capsules of the product i posted above? Or are you replying to CallItKarma?

Either way thanks for the input, it definitely seems to be more effective in higher doses but i wonder where diminishing returns start picking up drastically.
If it's just the powdered herb (not an extract), then yes.

CallItKarma

CallItKarma

Awards
On a side note, if you are interested in Astragalus check out Astragalus Root/Bone Broth recipes, that stuff is amazing choc full o goodness!!! :)

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
On a side note, if you are interested in Astragalus check out Astragalus Root/Bone Broth recipes, that stuff is amazing choc full o goodness!!! :)
I love bone broth, especially when it's homemade!