Agmatine or Citrulline

mtmrfz

As simple as it can be. Which one do you like more? Both can be bought in big quantity for a reasonable price for the amount of goodies it brings.

kboxer7

kboxer7

Awards
  • Established
As simple as it can be. Which one do you like more? Both can be bought in big quantity for a reasonable price for the amount of goodies it brings.
Citrulline has my vote!

I typically buy Cit Malate (2:1) because I love the tangy taste : )

Mixes exceptionally well with Conqu3r (not that its needed for extra pump) and other pres/intras.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
These two should never need to be separated, it's like peanut butter and jelly, chocolate cake and milk...

But, if I were forced, I would go agmatine.

Robert5891

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Use them together!

If I had to really choose between just one, I'd go with L-Citrulline.

jgntyce

jgntyce

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Serious nutrition solutions offers single ingredients such as Agmatine. Very cost effective.

kboxer7

kboxer7

Awards
  • Established
Serious nutrition solutions offers single ingredients such as Agmatine. Very cost effective.
Sure does. That's who gets my business for all my staples, Cit Mal included : )

rhoadx

Awards
  • Established
Agmatine has so many benefits, I have to go with it.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
It really depends on your goals. For pumps/workouts...maybe citrulline has an edge. For overall health, neural health, etc. - agmatine IMO. I don't really care about pumps at all and use agmatine on a regular basis anyway.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I would do both if you can but agmatine if you can't get both.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
These two should never need to be separated, it's like peanut butter and jelly, chocolate cake and milk...

But, if I were forced, I would go agmatine.
Use them together!

If I had to really choose between just one, I'd go with L-Citrulline.
Its interesting that you guys mentioned that.

Get a read on this:
Does Not Go Well With

L-Arginine and L-Citrulline (for some neurological effects; cardiovascular interactions not well elucidated)

Yohimbine and Rauwolscine (Agmatine activates the α2A receptor that these inhibit)

D-Aspartic Acid due to reducing signalling via the NMDA receptors

Alcohol coingestion (may increase ulceration from alcohol)

Creatine (on the assumption that creatine positively influences NMDA signalling, agmatine works in the opposite manner at the same site; they should not be antagonstic for muscle growth or nitric oxide boosting)

https://examine.com/supplements/Agmatine/
Not saying I agree but it was interesting as it tosses this premise in the face of everyone and their sister producing products with both in them that we all quickly discern as efficacious and safe and healthy (remembering the BS arguments from the anti nitrates crowd).

Any merit?

mtmrfz

Whoa,didn't even think that agmatine doesn't go well with the ingredients above.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Whoa,didn't even think that agmatine doesn't go well with the ingredients above.
Nor did I. Nor am I saying I know enough about the physiology to know for myself but do even the manufacturers know this and/or is this a credible assertion?

I'm not inclined to believe nor consider the bro science guy that says "I've been using both for years and I have no sides" BS statement. Is this a physiological issue or not? Does this source have merit?

mtmrfz

Nor did I. Nor am I saying I know enough about the physiology to know for myself but do even the manufacturers know this and/or is this a credible assertion?

I'm not inclined to believe nor consider the bro science guy that says "I've been using both for years and I have no sides" BS statement. Is this a physiological issue or not? Does this source have merit?
Very interested to know this as well. Not only will it save me money,but also possible sides if that's true

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Very interested to know this as well. Not only will it save me money,but also possible sides if that's true
Anecdotally I have zero issue and they are awesome and efficacious pre workout ingredients that I mix in my home brew formula. But being intelligent and inquisitive I wouldn't mind at least knowing if there is any validity to the neurological and cardiovascular risk.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Anecdotally I have zero issue and they are awesome and efficacious pre workout ingredients that I mix in my home brew formula. But being intelligent and inquisitive I wouldn't mind at least knowing if there is any validity to the neurological and cardiovascular risk.
I am fairly certain that what is meant by that is taking those ingredients with agmatine can reduce/diminish some of the beneficial effects agmatine can have on those particular parameters, not that there is a risk in regards to those areas when combining the two. Think how yohimbine doesn't work well with food; it's not dangerous, it's just not effective.

ucheoma

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Its interesting that you guys mentioned that.

Get a read on this:

Not saying I agree but it was interesting as it tosses this premise in the face of everyone and their sister producing products with both in them that we all quickly discern as efficacious and safe and healthy (remembering the BS arguments from the anti nitrates crowd).

Any merit?
I remember there was a thread that debunked this study. I've tried searching for it but couldn't find it. Perhaps someone can dig it up?

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Yep, I am aware of that study but don't give it any credit as there hasn't been anything further to support it and they are not talking about the overall benefits that you can derive from each. From a purely anecdotal standpoint, they work wonderful together and I see the effects more when combined than when taken separately.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
There are numerous studies that show Agmatine is an A2 agonist. Combining with an antagonist, such as yohimbine, doesn't necessarily mean you will have a side effect...just that the effects may be unpredictable, as one may cancel out the other.

I have taken AGM with Yohimbine and can tell you that Yohimbine appears to be a stronger antagonist than Agmatine is an agonist...as I still feel the yohimbe effects that I am sensitive too.

Agmatine for a pump ingredient, IMO, has less research than for other benefits. Mixing with Citrulline may still be a good pump enhancer, but it appears Citrulline and Arginine may inhibit some of the effects of Agmatine and vv.

Agmatine, IMO, is a complex molecule that isn't just a matter of it does this or that. It appears to have a regulatory function and it looks like it is opening up doors to potential new pathways in biology

Of course, like David Dunn, I am not claiming to be an expert and I am no chemist or biologist. Furion has some good points in the other thread.

I would not worry about sides as much as I would worry about potential cancellation amongst other ingredients.