HIGHLY BRANCHED CYCLIC DEXTRIN (HBCD)

BeastFitness

BeastFitness

Banned
Awards
***HIGHLY BRANCHED CYCLIC DEXTRIN (HBCD)***

Although intra-workout nutrition (carbohydrates in particular) have been around forever, HBCD along with Karbolyn, Waxy Maize, and pure Dextrose powder continue to be brought up with the question of "which carbohydrate is most optimal to take during a workout session." As always, this answer isn't as black and white as many think it may be. The reason why I chose to talk about HBCD and NOT the other carbohydrate sources is because after months upon months of experimenting, I have found HBCD to work most effectively for my growth requirements. This does NOT mean it is the end all be all (as nothing in this fitness industry is.) I have close friends and clients that respond best to Karbolyn, others Waxy Maize, others HBCD. No matter what research or anecdotal evidence is brought up to you, do yourself a favor and first EXPERIMENT to see which YOU PERSONALLY respond best to. Now, onto HBCD!

HBCDs are a new type of glucose polymer with a special branching enzyme (forming their cyclical structure.) The rough molecular weight is 160,000 Da, so they have an extremely low osmolality in solution (resulting in rapid gastric emptying.) We've seen in some research that HBCD aided in increasing performance when compared to dextrose supplementation (which has a molecular weight of roughly 180 Da.) From an anecdotal standpoint, I've personally seen (as well as with dozens of other clients that responded best to HBCD):

-increased power output
-increased endurance
-increased nutrition partitioning
-increased hypertrophy (over time)

Obviously there are many factors to consider (such as amount of intraworkout carbohydrates, water, and other additions) but one thing IS for sure, peri-workout nutrition (intra-workout specifically) SHOULD BE TAKEN AS SERIOUSLY AS YOUR GOALS ARE as it can only help. (Again, this is not new information. Intraworkout nutrition has been around for what seems like forever.)

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/264391098_Effects_of_ingesting_highly_branched_cyclic_dextrin_during_endurance_exercise_on_rating_of_perceived_exertion_and_blood_components_associated_with_energy_metabolism

Fluids containing a highly branched cyclic dextrin influence the gastric emptying rate. - PubMed - NCBI

Enhancement of swimming endurance in mice by highly branched cyclic dextrin. - PubMed - NCBI

paul56778

paul56778

Awards
  • Established
What about Vitargo, how does it compare to cluster dextrin.

ManimalPatB

ManimalPatB

Awards
I love HCBD, it's one of the few carbs that doesn't screw up my stomach when I use it

Waxy makes me feel the worst ever, I hate it and will never use it again

Good stuff!!!!

De__eB

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The main thing with HBCD is that it lets you get higher quantities of carbs in for very strenuous exercise without GI distress.

It's my opinion though that the uses for HBCD are relatively edge cases and that the cost on it isn't justified for the situations most people put themselves in.