Diabetic support supplements?

raul87

raul87

Awards
  • Established
My mom bought my dad some GNC diabetic support and it kind of peeved me they didn't even bother asking me they know I read up a lot on supplements. They've seen my changes first hand. Obviously I don't know much about diabetic stuff not being diabetic and doesn't run in the family but a quick mention and knowing it's for my dad and I hit the Internet full force with some research to do. Oops sorry I went on a rant. So any recommendations? Ingredients to look at? That's whay she got him. Thank for the help guys.

GNC Mega Men ® Diabetic Support - GNC - GNC

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Chances are there is nothing that amazing in it because it's basic support. Look at ingredients and see where you can get the same things. It's basic glucose support which you can get several places, but diabetes is tricky so if they fee safe with that let them.

hsk

Awards
  • Established
My mom bought my dad some GNC diabetic support and it kind of peeved me they didn't even bother asking me they know I read up a lot on supplements. They've seen my changes first hand. Obviously I don't know much about diabetic stuff not being diabetic and doesn't run in the family but a quick mention and knowing it's for my dad and I hit the Internet full force with some research to do. Oops sorry I went on a rant. So any recommendations? Ingredients to look at? That's whay she got him. Thank for the help guys.

GNC Mega Men ® Diabetic Support - GNC - GNC
Look into Glucose Disposal Agents (GDA's), Nutrient Partitioners, and Insulin Mimimetics. You can find many combo formulas and research the individual ingredients they use as well. I have used many of these including Recompadrol (dq'ed now), Slintensity, Gycophase, etc.

Ingredient wise, I would read up on supplements that can help with insulin sensitivity. Here's a list of the some of the most popular GDA ingredients to get you started:

Na-Rala
Agmatine Sulfate
Berberine HCL
Banaba (Corsolic Acid)
Bitter Melon
Fenugreek
Gymnema Sylvestre
Cinnamon
Vanadium
GTF Chromium

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
hsk is on point. It looks like that GNC product is a standard multivitamin with a few GDA ingredients thrown in. There are better products available that are designed specifically for helping blood sugar and insulin response to food.

The list of ingredients that hsk listed is great. My two go-to GDA products are Omega Sports Burn 24 and Performax Labs Slinmax. I always look for a product that contains Na-Rala for its blood sugar reducing and glycogen storage improving properties. I also like Slinmax for its inclusion of Trigonella Seed, which can help prevent the body from absorbing carbohydrates and improve muscular uptake of glucose. This will improve glycogen storage in the body and reduce blood sugar levels, which is obviously beneficial for a diabetic.

Is your dad Type I or Type II?

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
IMO, the most important things for diabetes control are diet, exercise and medically supervised medication. I don't trust GNC's recommendations or house brands at all.

Just my .02 cents :)

raul87

raul87

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the help guys appreciate it
john.patterson I can't remember but it's the lesser of the 2

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Had to dig around a bit, but this appears to be the label (surprisingly wasn't on the site provided):

Looks like a multi-vitamin with pixie-dusted/under-dosed ingredients that fall into the GDA/insulin mimetic categories.

Some good advice already offered in here, but I don't like playing doctor when it comes to things like diabetes. My dad has type 1.5 diabetes (an autoimmune version -- goes by other names) and I wouldn't dare give specific info to him. Now the one thing I will do is offer up what knowledge I have on dietary info and other supplements (e.g. a solid multi-vitamin to use). NaRALA is a wonderful ingredient and one that could likely be beneficially used just as a daily antioxidant; no reason to dose it the way those of us without diabetes do (e.g. pre carb meals).

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Is your dad diabetic or pre diabetic? Is actually diabetic, I would only seek the advice of a practitioner. You do not want to be mixing pharma meds with supplements.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Don't take Cinnamon Cassia (even though that pathetic 25mg is laughable) buy bulk Ceylon Cinnamon and dose 2-3g if you want to try it. Cassia contains Coumarin - a possible Cancer causing agent. Unless it says Ceylon, it has Coumarin.

You can also do 1-2 Tbs of Apple Cider Vinegar before complex carb meals.

Both have been shown in research to *moderately* affect glucose partitioning - Where Berberine would be an "A", these are a "C" - but they are cheap and just good for general health too.

P.S. Check SuppVersity for a recent article on Protein and Diabetics. New study shows that too much protein can be bad for Type I and II's because of Gluconeogenesis in the Liver in those individuals (regular people are fine, obviously).

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
He's diabetic
I would work with his diabetic educator on this. He should already be taking prescribed medications. You don't want to mix OTC with pharma unless you truly no what you are doing. It can be done with success, but it needs to be monitored.

jmero2

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I would work with his diabetic educator on this. He should already be taking prescribed medications. You don't want to mix OTC with pharma unless you truly no what you are doing. It can be done with success, but it needs to be monitored.
I have been diagnosed as diabetic last September, I was always in really good shape, lifted weights 4 times per week and played soccer.

The Joslin Diabetes center typed me as a 1b. This means that I am not insulin resistant and produce very little insulin...

The supplements that help me the most is Follidrone 2.0, amazing stuff. Burn24 works as well but I only use it during refeeds.

Bitter melon capsules are hit or miss but the fruit is really good, I can go hypo on half of an Indian bitter melon.

Everything else is mainly for insulin resistance and could work for him.

jmero2

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
IMO, the most important things for diabetes control are diet, exercise and medically supervised medication. I don't trust GNC's recommendations or house brands at all.

Just my .02 cents :)
A huge part of this is cutting carbs, 2 weeks after my diagnosis I moved my diet from roughly 50 percent carbs to 50 percent fat, a keto diet and now I need very little insulin per meal. I also have become much more ripped as a result.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
A huge part of this is cutting carbs, 2 weeks after my diagnosis I moved my diet from roughly 50 percent carbs to 50 percent fat, a keto diet and now I need very little insulin per meal. I also have become much more ripped as a result.

Props man, good for you!

jmero2

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Props man, good for you!
Thanks man! The only bad part is since last September is I lost a ton of muscle but as I figure this out it is starting to come back. I went from 185 ish @ 12-13% bodyfat to 165 @ 10-11% . I miss eating the volume of food I used to but the plus side is my wife loves the way I look now... The first supplement that I am using since being diagnosed is FD2 and will roll some Viron in along with some leftover Formeron next week.

EricIrons

EricIrons

Board Sponsor
Awards
I always had luck with Bitter Melon and ALA. Two staples IMHO

jmero2

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I always had luck with Bitter Melon and ALA. Two staples IMHO
Bitter melon supplements were hit or miss for me, I like to eat about 1/2 of an Indian bitter melon per day if I can find it, remove the seeds and cut into 1 inch thick slices. If you eat too much at once you will go hypo. I banged down almost a half melon in one sitting and my blood sugar was 67 about an hour later. The taste takes getting used to but there is no doubt this works.

During my refeeds I'll also drink 2 to 3 cups of karela tea during the day.

I'm going to try to go insulin free this Sunday, this along with FD2 will be the strategy.