Cortisol and fatloss.

G

georgetown

Awards
  • Established
When lowering cortisol during a cut, is this more a visual effect (less water) and not permanent, or does it actually aid in losing fat permanently?

Quads_of_Stee

Quads_of_Stee

Awards
higher levels of cortisol means decreased fat loss. That's pretty much it from what I've read

Thus, cortisol and GH have opposite effects on the basal lipolytic activity in human adipose tissue in vitro as well as on the sensitivity to catecholamines, GH being the lipolytic and cortisol the antilipolytic agent. The present findings are in agreement with in vivo observations.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10690893

Cortisol reduced the basal rate of lipolysis (P , 0.01)
Maximum forskolin-induced lipolytic activity was reduced after
exposure of the tissue to cortisol (P , 0.05)
http://press.endocrine.org/doi/pdf/10.1210/jcem.85.2.6358

it is because of this reason that we included Ashwagandha in Alphamax Xt alongside with forskolin, and why many users tend to see a recomp-like effect when taking it.

Reactions: mw1
G

georgetown

Awards
  • Established
higher levels of cortisol means decreased fat loss. That's pretty much it from what I've read

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10690893

http://press.endocrine.org/doi/pdf/10.1210/jcem.85.2.6358

it is because of this reason that we included Ashwagandha in Alphamax Xt alongside with forskolin, and why many users tend to see a recomp-like effect when taking it.
Awesome, sources are always great to learn this stuff. So I'm taking it GH levels have an effect on cortisol and vice versa?

Quads_of_Stee

Quads_of_Stee

Awards
Awesome, sources are always great to learn this stuff. So I'm taking it GH levels have an effect on cortisol and vice versa?
yeah GH increases lipolysis / fat burning while cortisol decreases it

B

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Yea just make sure cortisol doesn't get to low because that is just as bad as high cortisol levels. You want to control it not crush it. Just like estro

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
G

georgetown

Awards
  • Established
I guess permanent isn't the right term, but for example sometimes a product might dry you up but once you stop use you may gain some of that water back where as another product may dry you out and that effect stays after stopping usage, but now I have learned that lowering cortisol contributes to fat loss, so in my terms that is a "permanent" effect versus say the effect of less water retention which may not be "permanent" as you could gain that back after ceasing to control cortisol or a product that does. these are all theories just trying to learn more

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
I agree with what Quads said above. Having lower cortisol will definitely help with true fatloss, while some of the visual fatloss may only be temporary due to reduced water retention. You may see some rebound with water retention after you finish using a cortisol lowering supplement, but if your diet and training are in check you will have lost more fat mass during the period of low cortisol, so the end result will be lower body fat levels and improved body composition.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Think of cortisol in the same terms as insulin. There are times you want it to be high (e.g. training), but not something you want chronically elevated or crushed.. It's only then is it potentially harmful.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Think of cortisol in the same terms as insulin. There are times you want it to be high (e.g. training), but not something you want chronically elevated or crushed.. It's only then is it potentially harmful.
Very well stated.

And the info covered in here has been on point.

OP, products that reduce cortisol are good things, but as stated, you don't want it too low and it's not something you always want to focus on. Two I'd recommend to dabble Abliderate Advanced (topical) or Abliderate AMMO (oral).

machinehead

machinehead

Awards
  • Established
Adipose makes its own cortisol from cortisone via the 11beta-HSD1 independently from plasma cortisol concentrations. This is why topical 7-keto, bAET and 11-oxo/11-keto work so well transdermally for people with increased enzyme activity in fat tissue. It is a better approach than a systemic cortisol 'control' administration as nearly no one is having high plasma free cortisol, even while dieting. If you are going to inhibit 11beta-HSD1, better do it locally. With that said, inhibiting in globally in the blood through oral administration would of course also work in fat tissue. But I think the better you respond to anti-cortisol treatment in terms of fat loss, the faster it is to regain the fat once homeostasis is restored. The natural way of blocking 11beta-HSD1 in fat is by maintaining good growth hormone levels.

G

georgetown

Awards
  • Established
I'm kinda taking it that cortisol is just a small piece of the picture and while controlling it may be beneficial, it is more important to look at what is causing it, GH levels and diet keep coming up and those two will obviously have much benefit beyond healthy cortisol levels

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm kinda taking it that cortisol is just a small piece of the picture and while controlling it may be beneficial, it is more important to look at what is causing it, GH levels and diet keep coming up and those two will obviously have much benefit beyond healthy cortisol levels
Regarding GH levels and such -- if there is a serious problem, then yes, that could be an issue (e.g. pituitary disorder, etc.). That said, a lot of the info about how important GH levels are to training has been blown a little too out of proportion over the years. Layne Norton linked a study a few weeks back looking into research specifically on training-induced GH levels and their effects.

Point of that being, don't overthink things. Supplements to lower cortisol and raise GH are good, but unless you're someone suffering from a real underlying problem, not utilizing those same supplements isn't going to harm you/keep you from making the progress you want.

warbird01

warbird01

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
IMO the best time for a cortisol control product is at the end of a cut when you cortisol levels are are at their highest because of the stress, ect.

C

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have two bottles of Youth by Formutech coming, it's a 7-keto dhea cortisol reduction product. I have always had good success with reduceXT and Abliterate, giving this a go now.