l carnitine

beastmode1981

beastmode1981

Awards
  • Established
how and when should i use l-carnitine to pack on muscle? I dont want to lose weight. Ive read its good for your nat test levels and can be beneficial for gaining lead muscle mass through building up of strength overall. Is this a diet pill or not?

Derekcerva

Awards
I've never heard it used that way, I suppose post workout with carbs (tartrate form) would aid in recovery 1-2grams.

Most people add it in for fat loss though you need carbs for t to be effectively used, which makes pre and post workout great times to add it in of your eating carbs around there (and you probably should)

ericool007

ericool007

Awards
  • Established
I've never heard it used that way, I suppose post workout with carbs (tartrate form) would aid in recovery 1-2grams.

Most people add it in for fat loss though you need carbs for t to be effectively used, which makes pre and post workout great times to add it in of your eating carbs around there (and you probably should)
basicially this, the tartrate version is suppose to help up regulate androgen receptors too.

SuppGuy

SuppGuy

Awards
From all my research...L-carnitine is as good as a placebo. The only form of carnitine that has some use is Glycine propionyl-L-carnitine and that is for increase in power output not hypertrophy.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
^You're forgetting ALCAR and LCLT

Only ways I would supplement carnitine.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Yes, it has noot benefits on top of carnitine's standard benefits.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
From my article:

Carnitine:

This is something that exploded onto the scene and also appeared in your local supplement stores. The most commonly found and sold form is L-Carnitine. This is not the ideal form. Not for the purposes the average consumer is purchasing them. The fat loss potential seems to be limited to the elderly, who are often deficient.

It seems to not positively affect fat metabolism unless in a deficient state. [24,25]

As it seems relatively ineffective for fat loss, if you want to use a carnitine use one of the other forms which carry their own unique benefits, such as ALCAR which has several neurological benefits [15-23] and even indications in medical conditions like Alzheimer’s, or LCLT which has been shown in vivo to increase androgen receptor density in muscle [26]

See references at original:
http://anabolicminds.com/articles/supplements-you-could-be-doing-wrong-16045/