Best Probiotic

Dmcooper

Awards
What's the best probiotic you guys have used? Something with the lowest cost per serving that has all the different microorganisms that you need.

georgetown

Awards
  • Established
For what its worth many greens supplements have probiotic blends in them along with all the other benefits, greek yogurt also has a good amount so pairing those two would be a simple way to cover your bases but im sure there a supplements more geared towards a complete probiotic blend not sure of those though.

JDybya

JDybya

Awards
  • Established
Haven't tried it yet, but I've heard great things about Evomuse Gut Health.

From my research, it's a great profile, and I'll be picking it up with my next order.

Also I eat a lot of naturally fermented foods: kimchi, natto (awesome for vitamin k also), kefir, etc.

Yogurt, some people have a histamine response from, feeding bad bacteria and causing inflammation. So I'm hesitant to recommend. But try it and monitor how you feel.

crowbar46

Awards
  • Established
Forget the pills, eat naturally fermented foods--at least until commercially available probiotics are worth a damn. Kimchi has made more difference to my gut health than any probiitic pill I've used (and I've used a few).

Crowbar

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Big fan of Gut Health myself, and have used it for years. Highly suggest.

jgntyce

jgntyce

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Another vote for Gut Health. It's a damn good profile and it's very cost effective with a two month supply.

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
For a well priced option - Evomuse Gut Health
For a more expensive but very effective option - Garden of Life Primal Defense Ultra

I notice a large difference even between these two, but both are good options.

toddmuelheim

toddmuelheim

Awards
  • Established
For a more expensive but very effective option - Garden of Life Primal Defense Ultra

What was the difference I haven't tried either

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What was the difference I haven't tried either
Personally, I just notice much better digestion, frequency of bowels, and overall better comfort from GOL Primal Defense Ultra.

Difference in formulas is the amount of total probiotic species and total live organisms. GOL also utilizes Homeostatic Soil Organisms (HSOs).

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've been using NOW Probitic 10 50 Billion Organisms for a few years now and love it. Here is the label for the 25, it is the same thing as the 50

51Ho1w5SlqL.jpg

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've been using NOW Probitic 10 50 Billion Organisms for a few years now and love it. Here is the label for the 25, it is the same thing as the 50

View attachment 134632
Tried this one. Wasn't up to Gut Health or Primal Defense level.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Tried this one. Wasn't up to Gut Health or Primal Defense level.
I actually switched from Gut Health to that one.

What did you notice with Gut Health that you didn't with NOW?

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I actually switched from Gut Health to that one.

What did you notice with Gut Health that you didn't with NOW?
Not properly absorbing nutrients, bloating, gas, other digestion issues.

And for others reading, before adding in a probiotic, I recommend you do trial and error with foods you're consuming to see what is causing the issues. I've had to play with certain foods to see what causes bloating, gas, and other GI issues. Finally narrowed it down to what I respond best to, but the probiotic is there for extra assistance.

Dmcooper

Awards
Haven't tried it yet, but I've heard great things about Evomuse Gut Health.

From my research, it's a great profile, and I'll be picking it up with my next order.

Also I eat a lot of naturally fermented foods: kimchi, natto (awesome for vitamin k also), kefir, etc.

Yogurt, some people have a histamine response from, feeding bad bacteria and causing inflammation. So I'm hesitant to recommend. But try it and monitor how you feel.
Do these foods actually taste good or are they just tolerable because of the benefits? I've never tried any of these foods, are they cheap?

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer

And for others reading, before adding in a probiotic, I recommend you do trial and error with foods you're consuming to see what is causing the issues. I've had to play with certain foods to see what causes bloating, gas, and other GI issues. Finally narrowed it down to what I respond best to, but the probiotic is there for extra assistance.
What foods were the ones that triggered this for you (Bloating/Gas/GI Issues)?
I saw you did the charcoal test to see what the true problem was. Worth that worth the time and experiment?

Dmcooper

Awards
Forget the pills, eat naturally fermented foods--at least until commercially available probiotics are worth a damn. Kimchi has made more difference to my gut health than any probiitic pill I've used (and I've used a few).

Crowbar
Do you know if the fermented foods have all the microorganisms that we need need or just a few? Are the foods cheaper than the supplements?

JDybya

JDybya

Awards
  • Established
Do these foods actually taste good or are they just tolerable because of the benefits? I've never tried any of these foods, are they cheap?
Natto is acquired. Tastes like really strong cheese and looks like alien snot. Family thinks I'm nuts eating it, but I love it on eggs with some siracha and spicy mustard. About $1 per serving at your local Japanese market - look in the freezer section.

Love Kimchi on everything. Spicy is my favorite, but the mild is fairly non flavorful cabbage. $6-$8 for a weeks worth at the grocery store, or I get a huge bottle cheaper at the Japanese/Korean market.

I definitely enjoy them more, knowing their healthy, but that's just how I eat.

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What foods were the ones that triggered this for you (Bloating/Gas/GI Issues)?
I saw you did the charcoal test to see what the true problem was. Worth that worth the time and experiment?
Potatoes and liquid egg whites were the main culprit I found. Took a while off from eating any kind of potato, tried again, and same outcome. So eliminated them from the diet. As for liquid egg whites, just do egg whites from whole eggs now instead and no problem.

Actually went to see a gastrointestinal doctor and got a blood test but came back not helping with anything, so that was a chunk of change wasted.

Every once in a while I will notice some GI distress and digestion issues. Usually lasts a day or two then subsides.

Charcoal test did give me some good insight though on what was going on.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Potatoes and liquid egg whites were the main culprit I found. Took a while off from eating any kind of potato, tried again, and same outcome. So eliminated them from the diet. As for liquid egg whites, just do egg whites from whole eggs now instead and no problem.

Actually went to see a gastrointestinal doctor and got a blood test but came back not helping with anything, so that was a chunk of change wasted.

Every once in a while I will notice some GI distress and digestion issues. Usually lasts a day or two then subsides.

Charcoal test did give me some good insight though on what was going on.
In the same boat here (Bold)
Hell price on them finally came down. Got 36 for 3$ today. Can't beat it.

Dmcooper

Awards
Natto is acquired. Tastes like really strong cheese and looks like alien snot. Family thinks I'm nuts eating it, but I love it on eggs with some siracha and spicy mustard. About $1 per serving at your local Japanese market - look in the freezer section.

Love Kimchi on everything. Spicy is my favorite, but the mild is fairly non flavorful cabbage. $6-$8 for a weeks worth at the grocery store, or I get a huge bottle cheaper at the Japanese/Korean market.

I definitely enjoy them more, knowing their healthy, but that's just how I eat.
Thanks for the suggestions, that's nice how it's so cheap! Alien snot doesn't sound appetizing haha, but I'll definitely look into these foods.

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Dmcooper

Awards

The primal defense looks like it has a great profile, but now I'm wondering if it can be replaced with some fermented foods. Have you seen any difference between this supplement and fermented foods (if you include them in your diet)?

YoungBodyBuil

Banned
Awards
Gut health hands down, it's killer for high protein diets!

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The primal defense looks like it has a great profile, but now I'm wondering if it can be replaced with some fermented foods. Have you seen any difference between this supplement and fermented foods (if you include them in your diet)?
It may be to your benefit of starting by adding in some of the fermented foods to see if they help at all before buying a probiotic.

I only use greek yogurt personally. Tried Sauerkraut but do not like it. Haven't tried any of the others though.

squirtguns89

Awards
  • Established
can someone confirm or deny mr.cooper referencing a positive opinion towards Saccharomyces Boulardii?

NutraChem

NutraChem

Awards
can someone confirm or deny mr.cooper referencing a positive opinion towards Saccharomyces Boulardii?
Not sure what coop says about it, but I can tell you it is excellent for controlling symptoms. As far as putting the breaks on AB induced colitis, I'd say it could very well be the best I've tried (even better than metronidazole.) But it's benefit is only temporary because it won't colonize, so unless you take it daily it's only good for situational treatment. And it doesn't have to be the boulardii necessarily, there are several good strains out there that are more economical and also some combos with fermentates (beta-glucans and mannose mainly.) I like those even better. ;)

ZOO

ZOO

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I like the chewable ones by Machine or AI Sports. Also a fiber drink in the evening. Really keeps things moving nice

LEATHERFACE

Awards

Great advice, for me I just found a few weeks ago that dairy was a problem for me, strong acne after every dairy, stomach pain, ect...... not a big loss

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Great advice, for me I just found a few weeks ago that dairy was a problem for me, strong acne after every dairy, stomach pain, ect...... not a big loss
I notice this too. Not sure if it's brosciencey or not, but when I rely on protein powders for a lot of my protein intake due to circumstances, my acne gets bad.

machinehead

machinehead

Awards
  • Established
I haven't had egg whites for 8 years as they inflame me ridiculously.

VSL#3 is the best I used but the entry price is hefty. One packet has as many CFUs as a whole bottle of Gut Health, it is third-party tested to contain them and comes to about $3 a packet but you can by 30 minimum.

Ironically, greek yogurt slows me down to the point I feel worse than normal. No more dairy for me.

ELROCK

ELROCK

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I rotate between Swanson's probiotic and EvoMuse Gut Health. They are both solid at a reasonable price. There are a few "better" probiotic products out there, but their priced too high for me to want to recommend them.

NutraChem

NutraChem

Awards
I haven't had egg whites for 8 years as they inflame me ridiculously.

VSL#3 is the best I used but the entry price is hefty. One packet has as many CFUs as a whole bottle of Gut Health, it is third-party tested to contain them and comes to about $3 a packet but you can by 30 minimum.

Ironically, greek yogurt slows me down to the point I feel worse than normal. No more dairy for me.
You tried any digestive enzymes with your problem foods? I've seen a few individuals become egg intolerant recently, just out of the blue. It seems odd, but one of them reports good results with preemptive alpha-galactosidase treatment.

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have but it is not helping.
Are you doing the egg whites from whole eggs or from liquid egg whites?

Its common for many to experience GI issues when eliminating the yolk though.

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
Swanson Ultra Probiotic 66 billion. $35 for 3 months.

machinehead

machinehead

Awards
  • Established
Are you doing the egg whites from whole eggs or from liquid egg whites?

Its common for many to experience GI issues when eliminating the yolk though.
Liquid pasteurized ones are the worst. Whole eggs are fine.

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Liquid pasteurized ones are the worst. Whole eggs are fine.
Yeah. Skip the liquid pasteurized than. I myself have a tough time digesting them. So i just do egg whites from whole eggs (removing yolk).

ttortman78

Awards
  • Established
I have colitis so I have become very informed on this topic. Over the years I have tried over 20 different probiotics. What I have found is that broad spectrum products work way better for me than single strain.

The three that I have had the best results with for my colitis are

Vsl3 - insanely expensive but worked very well. Used it for 2 years because it was covered by my insurance. After they stopped covering it I had to drop it because of the expense. After that I tried culurelle, align, jarro-dophilis, renew life, dr ohirras, and a couple others with little success.

The two I am using now how been by far the most effective.

1. Bio-Kult. 14 strains. Lactic acid based bacteria.
2. Prescript assist. 29 strain. Soil based organisms.

This combo has my digestion the best it's been in years.

squirtguns89

Awards
  • Established
Not sure what coop says about it, but I can tell you it is excellent for controlling symptoms. As far as putting the breaks on AB induced colitis, I'd say it could very well be the best I've tried (even better than metronidazole.) But it's benefit is only temporary because it won't colonize, so unless you take it daily it's only good for situational treatment. And it doesn't have to be the boulardii necessarily, there are several good strains out there that are more economical and also some combos with fermentates (beta-glucans and mannose mainly.) I like those even better. ;)
saccaromyces can be found cheap indeed vs your typical probiotic, for that reason alone not colonizing is moot point for me personally as its affordable to be ran as a staple. With that in mind, what your opinion on its use for general gut health vs only situationally? i realize it obviously has data for specific use but sometimes thats just emphasizes the focus/target audience vs big picture type benefits if that makes sense.

LEATHERFACE

Awards

Do you mind sharing with us your daily supplements for health ect...?

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
The VSL#3 is it the pills/caspsules or the sachets? I'm guessing sachets because that's the one that seems higher per dose.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Another vote for Gut Health for me. I've used it for years and it's great. Also nice that each bottle is 2 months supply -- so keep that in mind when you see a bottle and the price.

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Do you mind sharing with us your daily supplements for health ect...?
Jarrow Ubiquinol 100mg twice per day
Vitamin K2 45mcg (menaquinGold)
Vitamin D 5,000 IU
Kyolic Aged Garlic Extract 600mg twice per day
ALCAR 1000mg twice per day
Na-R-ALA 250mg twice per day
Nordic Liquid Omega 3 twice per day (3 gram EPA/DHA)
Gut Health
Pantothenic Acid (Vitamin B5)
NAC 500mg twice per day
TUDCA 250mg twice per day
Digestive Enzyme (with largest meals)
Curcumin bcm-95

Hyperfluxe

Awards
VSL#3 is the best probiotic on the market, bar none. It is cost prohibitive though. I have found Hyperbiotics Pro-15 to be the most cost effective probiotic for general health and well-being, they claim their pearls are essentially 75 billion CFU of a normal capsule, who knows. Ideally, if you have a specific issue whether it's gut, anxiety, depression, IBS, etc you'd look for a specific strain to target that. L. helveticus, L. infantis, L. rahmnosus and B. longnum are the most 'nootropic' strains in that they will have a good effect on your cognition and help with mood since it reduces anxiety and depression symptoms. L. helveticus also increases sleep quality, but we don't know how much.

I remember reading a post about the most researched bacteria by Cooper, I forgot what it was. Something boulardi? It had the most supportive data.
Here is an excellent analysis and compilation of the literature on specific strains and how they help certain conditions:
http://www.sevenstreamstowellness.com/userfiles/1405319/file/Biome/reviewid=probiotics.pdf