Protein powders

Grindstone 05

Awards
Alright guys so I've heard in the past that certain companies have been caught by claiming that there protein grams per serving is one thing, but then it would be tested in a lab or wherever and in reality it was not as much as they were claiming. Has anyone else heard this? If so, does anybody know reputable protein makers? I always just used 100% WHEY. Just wanted to get some clarification before I buy 3 more jugs of the stuff, being that it is pretty dang expensive and all.

JDybya

JDybya

Awards
  • Established
Check out labdoor. Great product testing site.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I usually go with PES select, animal whey or ON whey. Those are just my preferences.

Robert5891

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Plenty of trusted brands out there when it comes to protein powders:

iForce Protean
APS ISOmorph
PES Select
Blue Star Whey Smooth

JDybya

JDybya

Awards
  • Established
Care to elaborate? I don't really know much about them.
+1

I just listened to an interview with the founder, and it sounded legit. I wouldn't buy from their links, but testing and lab results appear to be on point.

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Multiple lab door tests include major inconsistencies, and they actually reward companies for amino spiking as long as they still come "close" to claims. Srs.

If a protein product is listed as 30g protein/srv, but has 5g aminos, leaving it with 25g protein, they list the product as BETTER than a protein product that lists 24g protein and actually has 24g protein.

JDybya

JDybya

Awards
  • Established
Multiple lab door tests include major inconsistencies, and they actually reward companies for amino spiking as long as they still come "close" to claims. Srs.

If a protein product is listed as 30g protein/srv, but has 5g aminos, leaving it with 25g protein, they list the product as BETTER than a protein product that lists 24g protein and actually has 24g protein.
Awesome info. Thank you.

Any testing or certification you look to for info on potential spiking issues?

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Awesome info. Thank you.

Any testing or certification you look to for info on potential spiking issues?
Only thing to look for is aminos on the label itself, as well as actual COAs posted by the company itself.

I have SEEN the COAs on all HiTech brands protein showing that zero spiking has occurred, however I am still waiting on approval to post them publicly. Once I am able to, I will put them up here for everyone to see.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
The best thing to do is make sure the brand you are choosing is a quality brand. Alittle search can tell you if they have been called out for spiking. This is the best way to do it.

JDybya

JDybya

Awards
  • Established
That's the approach I've taken, but I really love the idea of an independent third party tester.

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That's the approach I've taken, but I really love the idea of an independent third party tester.
you have to keep in mind anyone testing supplements as an "independent third party" has some form of an agenda, and there is always a way to skew results the way you want them (labdoor is a perfect example of this).

JDybya

JDybya

Awards
  • Established
They get a percentage of any sales linked from their site, but it sounds like it's the same no matter the product. Not sure what the better way to do it would be without involving gov regulation, which I would definitely prefer to keep away from my supps.

TeamTGB

TeamTGB

Awards
There's typically a price range trend with proteins, the ones that your first reaction is ahh that's a little expensive,Those are probably good to go lol

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
There's typically a price range trend with proteins, the ones that your first reaction is ahh that's a little expensive,Those are probably good to go lol
big time.

I try to explain to people why Protean and Isotean are "expensive", but they seem to not listen and instead go for the "B1G1 promos" when we all know what those really mean

TeamTGB

TeamTGB

Awards
big time.

I try to explain to people why Protean and Isotean are "expensive", but they seem to not listen and instead go for the "B1G1 promos" when we all know what those really mean
That's why when someone finally bites the bullet and pays for a "expensive" protein they never go back lol

raul87

raul87

Awards
  • Established
Jim Stoppani made a video on protein spiking and how to read it on the label might want to check it out on YouTube to get an idea

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
just try and stick with pure isolate proteins if money isn't an issue

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
have any of you tried out finaflexs protz yet?? im lovin them fo realz

DoubleM101

DoubleM101

Awards
  • Established
In the past i tried many brands, but since i tried MyProtein, i sticked with it. It seems they use good protein sources and it´s really cheap.

TrainerTone

TrainerTone

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I stick to my usual rotation

iForce Protean
APS Isomorph
Animal Whey
PES SELECT
Blue Star Whey Smooth

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
I stick to my usual rotation

iForce Protean
APS Isomorph
Animal Whey
PES SELECT
Blue Star Whey Smooth
how is PES as far as shaking wise? do you need a blender?

smith_69

smith_69

Awards

Grindstone 05

Awards
Ok, appreciate the feedback! So do any of you mix a casein protein with your isolate? A casein being a slower digesting protein that promotes a release of aminos over a longer period of time? Just read that when it is taken together with an isolate it is better than just taking an isolate alone.

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ok, appreciate the feedback! So do any of you mix a casein protein with your isolate? A casein being a slower digesting protein that promotes a release of aminos over a longer period of time? Just read that when it is taken together with an isolate it is better than just taking an isolate alone.
Invest in a blend if you want both whey and casein. No need to buy the two separate.

SuppGuy

SuppGuy

Awards
Quick way to know if it's spiked or not is if they have an amino acid breakdown on the back of the tub.

Another way is in the "Other Ingredients:" section under the facts panel, if there is another amino acid included in there is a telltale sign.

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Quick way to know if it's spiked or not is if they have an amino acid breakdown on the back of the tub.

Another way is in the "Other Ingredients:" section under the facts panel, if there is another amino acid included in there is a telltale sign.
Or just purchase protein from a company with its product being 3rd party tested clear of fillers and free form aminos.

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
Invest in a blend if you want both whey and casein. No need to buy the two separate.
kbayne pes protein, do you need a blender or can you get away with a shaker cup?

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote