Sleep & recovery

Sss23

Awards
  • Established
I know sleep is crucial for gaining muscle and its recommended tO get 8-9 hours per night.. How much would you say you average per night?

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
I feel that anything more than 8 is excessive IMO. I usually get 6-7 on weekdays, and 8 on the weekends if I can. I can't sleep a full 8 hours every night, I wake up before my alarm haha

Quads_of_Stee

Quads_of_Stee

Awards
6-8 is the most optimal but you can get by with less sleep. I end up averaging 4-6 almost every day and can still function and lift fine. It took a bit getting used to, but after the initial rough period it became the normal. Getting a full night of 8 hours feels amazing though

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
probably around 6-7 hours of sleep I try to get more on the weekends to make up for during the week.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
7-8, anything else and I feel like I can't function!

cobri66

cobri66

Awards
I get about 8 ..I wake up before my alarm too

JDybya

JDybya

Awards
  • Established
Love when I get 8, but lately can't stay asleep more than 6 at the most. Still feeling good and making progress though.

warbird01

warbird01

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Never really noticed a difference between 6-10.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Personally I never get more than 5-6 at a time but never noticed a difference. Mostly due to my job

raul87

raul87

Awards
  • Established
When I work day shifts I average around 4-5 and nights 5-6 cause of my job and commute

Robert5891

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Depends on the night, but most often 7.5-8.5 hours

Sss23

Awards
  • Established
How do you guys not feel dead on such little sleep? Stims? Or just use to it?

Daycrawler

Awards
  • Established
7-8. Used to be able to do 5 fine throughout college and a bit after but now I need at least 6.5 without feeling groggy.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
How do you guys not feel dead on such little sleep? Stims? Or just use to it?
Used to it. I get more now that im in glide time but could get in 5-6 and be fine

ManimalPatB

ManimalPatB

Awards
The minimum amount that I get is 6, the most is about 7 or 8. I am NOT a big fan of sleep as I feel like if I sleep too much (8 hrs plus) I have wasted my day lol

I think it also depends on your diet, recovery process (how quick you recover from workout to workout, are you taking anything to help with recovery), and workouts.

Balthazar

Awards
i've heard on a news program that people slept about 2 hours longer on average than now before the invention of artificial light. i am another one who can't really ever sleep a full 8 hours, but even if i wake on my own it still leaves me wanting more.

Lynks8

Lynks8

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Sleep is vastly overlooked, imho. I personally notice a big difference between 4-6 hours and 6-8 hours. If I could, I'd shoot for 9 hours every night, but that's often difficult to manage. If I get 9 hours (~6 cycles), my mind is sharper, my workouts/strength are appreciably better, and my even my skin improves. Sleep is the fountain of youth, far more important than any supplement.

JDybya

JDybya

Awards
  • Established
Sleep is vastly overlooked, imho. I personally notice a big difference between 4-6 hours and 6-8 hours. If I could, I'd shoot for 9 hours every night, but that's often difficult to manage. If I get 9 hours (~6 cycles), my mind is sharper, my workouts/strength are appreciably better, and my even my skin improves. Sleep is the fountain of youth, far more important than any supplement.
Except for the supplements that help us sleep...

Balthazar

Awards
valerian is awesome lol, there are a lot of different products that contain it, but if you get pure valerian and take the time to steep it extra in a tea it will put you out every time for sure. my lady is an herbalist and we grow different plants for fun so we've got some going right now but it takes 3-5 years for an appreciable amount of roots to accumulate. but anyway if you brew a strong tea of pure valerian it's almost uncontrollable how quickly the lights turn out.

JDybya

JDybya

Awards
  • Established
valerian is awesome lol, there are a lot of different products that contain it, but if you get pure valerian and take the time to steep it extra in a tea it will put you out every time for sure. my lady is an herbalist and we grow different plants for fun so we've got some going right now but it takes 3-5 years for an appreciable amount of roots to accumulate. but anyway if you brew a strong tea of pure valerian it's almost uncontrollable how quickly the lights turn out.
I can fall asleep quickly no problem. My issue is staying asleep past 4 am....

Balthazar

Awards
i would say it's still worth a try because it helps achieve a deeper state of sleep as well. i used it frequently during a very stressful period in my life and it was the only thing that got me to sleep.

JDybya

JDybya

Awards
  • Established
Appreciate the advice.

Haven't tried a high quality fresh tea...just generic valerian teas and extracts.

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I can fall asleep quickly no problem. My issue is staying asleep past 4 am....
I used to "wake up" earlier than expected quite often, and I just do 500mg Relora, 200mg 5-HTP, 200mg L-Theanine and it worked like a charm. They're cheap too.

JDybya

JDybya

Awards
  • Established
Relora is the only thing there I haven't researched and/experimented with.

Gonna look into it. Thanks!

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
6-7 normally, but it is all dependent on when I go to sleep because I cannot sleep past 6am and usually am up around 5:30 on weekdays.

BEAST73

BEAST73

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I agree..

Daycrawler

Awards
  • Established
Appreciate the advice.

Haven't tried a high quality fresh tea...just generic valerian teas and extracts.
If you're willing to do it, look for a local tea shop that sells loose leaf.

I need to get more, but loose leaf teas are awesome for sleep also.

I used to have a cup or two of Valerian Chamomile before bed and some SNS ZMA. Was great.

Highly suggest looking into teas