• RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I wouldn't see why not but I would do some research before you take my word. ha

ManimalPatB

ManimalPatB

Awards
I do know they have done some studies on BCAAs and diabetes and how some BCAA products do not affect insulin.

You should however look into it AND ask your doctor to be on the safe side

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
They are doing a study on this now so far BCAAs enhanced glucose metabolism in lean mice while they promoted glucose intolerance in obese mice. In lean mice, BCAAs decreased adiposity (animal fat) and enhanced glucose utilization and insulin sensitivity in different tissues. But in obese mice, BCAAs' effects were mediated by impaired insulin signaling in fat tissue.

If you are Pre-Diabetic your Dr should have given you advice on how to monitor for type 2

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
From my quick research on this, which is just that - quick - it seems that there are a few sources indicating that BCAA's, Leucine and Amino Acids in general all impair insulin sensitivity. There appear to be 1-2 sources that show it may help and not hinder. So there, you have your conflicting evidence.

I'm not a medical professional, but if this were me, I would look at it this way - what is the purpose of your BCAA supplementation? Are you training fasted? It seems the general consensus on here is that BCAA supplementation is of marginal value if your protein intake throughout the day is adequate AND you aren't training fasted. In a fasted state, you burn through BCAA's while exercising and may not have any in your blood stream to supply the demand, so your body may use muscle to answer the call - taking these around a workout may have some benefit in this case.

Again, I'm not a doctor, but given the conflicting evidence and some small jumps in logic, I would assume that if you are working out intensely, you are going to be improving your situation greatly from an insulin resistance point of view, and if you are doing so in a fasted state then any BCAA's you take will have a minimal impact on diabetes, as you are just trying to get BCAAs into the blood stream as you are burning them up. So it isn't like taking an intra-workout drink is going to overload your system with BCAA's and have a huge impact, in my small mind. Over doing it, however, may not be a good idea - but this could be said of protein itself in your case, since amino acids in general seem to impact insulin resistance negatively.

In other words, what stands out to me is that a lot of these studies are using leucine to avoid muscle wasting in sick people - not people who are getting exercise and creating a demand for these nutrients. If you are creating a demand, it doesn't make sense to me not to allow for a supply. Breaking down muscle for amino acids won't have a positive impact on insulin resistance either, and the aminos will wind up in your blood stream anyway, just from your own tissue instead.

Again, not a doctor, and I know very little - just giving my thoughts.

Dave44456

Awards
Thank you for the great reply this is what I thought but needed back up on my thinking and I agree with you might just use it sparingly I do get enough protien on a daily bases again thanks

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
Thank you for the great reply this is what I thought but needed back up on my thinking and I agree with you might just use it sparingly I do get enough protien on a daily bases again thanks
thanks for asking- interesting topic

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
thanks for asking- interesting topic
I second this - I never thought about the impact of BCAAs on insulin. I was aware that whey protein does have an impact, but the nice thing about these topics is that when you ask a question like this, it opens up a world of new and interesting questions.

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
I second this - I never thought about the impact of BCAAs on insulin. I was aware that whey protein does have an impact, but the nice thing about these topics is that when you ask a question like this, it opens up a world of new and interesting questions.
indeed- the post that i put up was dated feb 16- so hopefully in the next coming months they have some feed back. FIL - father in law is a diabetic with 2 triple by pass surgeries so anything pertaining to this is always interesting.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Certain BCAAs are insulinogenic, but as with all things you may need to discuss this with your physician. Just try and find one who doesnt tell you to increase CHO consumption like some do

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I wouldn't see why not but I would do some research before you take my word. ha
This is what I was thinking as There is no sugar content depending on which one you use. Discuss with your doctor first though to be safe.

fame126

fame126

Awards
  • Established
Interesting read I'm a borderline diabetic as well and just ordered some xtend! Never thought about effects to be honest
Sugars and refined carbs are so damn hard to kick!

ntornado

Awards
Certain BCAAs are insulinogenic, but as with all things you may need to discuss this with your physician. Just try and find one who doesnt tell you to increase CHO consumption like some do
Good advice here.

To the OP, do you measure your blood glucose regularly or better yet, experiment frequently with different foods etc? I don't see any harm in buying a tub of BCAA and running some self experiments - assuming the rest of your diet is in order. Everyone is different so getting some n=1 data will be helpful.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
A pre-diabetic is not a diabetic, you are just at risk for developing diabetes. I highly doubt adding Aminos are going to point you in that direction. What you do the rest of the day , 24 hours a day, 7 days a week is what matters. Do you monitor your blood glucose levels? If so, try it.

Ask your family physician or endo.. see what they say.