Digestive enzymes & Betaine HCL timing

M

muchstronger2

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hi,

Just started supplementing with digestive enzymes and Betaine HCL as I had a deficiency in both.

I read an article saying that, to mimic natural digestion patterns, digestive enzymes had to be taken right at the beginning of a meal as they do the first chunk of the work in the stomach, and HCL to be taken 1 hour post meal as it usually dissolves the remainings.

Is that true? Accurate?

Thank!

C

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
No clue about betaine but I always take my digestive enzyme right before my first bite.. literally at the table.

machinehead

machinehead

Awards
  • Established
I take both in the middle of the meal. If I take the betaine hcl before or after, I get heartburn from the acid which is to be expected.

C

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I take both in the middle of the meal. If I take the betaine hcl before or after, I get heartburn from the acid which is to be expected.
Interesting

M

muchstronger2

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
From what I read enzymes do the first part of the digesting job in the upper stomach, and acid comes into play one hour after in the lower stomach. That's apparently how it naturally works.
So if I am trying to reproduce nature's work wouldn't it make sense to take them one after the other?

machinehead

machinehead

Awards
  • Established
An hour after your stomach may be empty.

If chewing increases the release of stomach acid then it is likely needed right away.

That's what they claim here:

Gastric acid secretion, like any other bodily function, is regulated according to need. Because acid secretion is needed most just prior to a meal, neural and other mechanisms triggered by smell and taste increase the rate of acid secretion (cephalic phase) followed by meal-stimulated secretion.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2974196/

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
AdelV Supplements 5
M Supplements 4
M Supplements 1
A Supplements 10
M Supplements 0