Cortisol control

georgetown

Awards
  • Established
I know reduce xt is good for this but looking for alternatives for cost and knowledge stuff, how does vitamin c, ashwaghanda, and rhodiola rosea sound for some light cortisol control? Any other suggestions?

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
KSM-66@600mg. It won't crush cortisol, but it will control it.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
KSM-66@600mg. It won't crush cortisol, but it will control it.
+1 for Ashwagandha.

Tongkat Ali also has research showing it can reduce cortisol, with one study concluding:
These results indicate that daily supplementation with tongkat ali root extract improves stress hormone profile and certain mood state parameters, suggesting that this “ancient” remedy may be an effective approach to shielding the body from the detrimental effects of “modern” chronic stress, which may include general day-to-day stress, as well as the stress of dieting, sleep deprivation, and exercise training.
Alphamax XT contains both Ashwagandha and tongkat Ali at full, effective, and proven doses.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Inhibit p is more for prolaction but I thought I read it helps with cortisol control as well. I usually will just use reduce xt though because it works for me.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Pretty much everything is covered here in just 3 posts, including the OP.

Vitamin C is OFTEN overlooked but it has been shown to reduce cortisol at just 1 gram/day. Dramatically? I don't think so, but maybe at 5 grams/day it does.

Relora has shown 15-20% reductions in cortisol in studies.

Ashwagandha I believe has some studies showing positive cortisol effects.

Phosphytidylserine is the one that has been left out for lowering cortisol.

7-Keto DHEA/Reduce are great.

Evomuse Ammo seems to be very effective also.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Fully agree with KSM-66 and Tongkat Ali for helping control cortisol. Mucuna Pruriens is another that can help with stress and cortisol reduction. As mentioned above, Alphamax XT contains these ingredients including Mucuna Pruriens.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Phosphytidylserine is the one that has been left out for lowering cortisol.
Yeah, the only reason I didn't mention that was that the OP is looking for alternatives due to cost and PS is not very cost effective, although I do love it.

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, the only reason I didn't mention that was that the OP is looking for alternatives due to cost and PS is not very cost effective, although I do love it.
OL Vitality has 400 mg for $5

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I see it on sale for $20, that is a great price for that profile.
It was $4.99 on clearance on their website. It may no longer be (haven't checked in a while)

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
It was $4.99 on clearance on their website. It may no longer be (haven't checked in a while)
It is gone - I bought 8 tubs and gave 2 away as a present. $5/month for creatine and PS is a steal.

georgetown

Awards
  • Established
Got some ashwaghanda extract 600 mg doses, vitamin c 1000 mg tabs, also using maca wondering besides libido/energy any other benefits to maca?

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Got some ashwaghanda extract 600 mg doses, vitamin c 1000 mg tabs, also using maca wondering besides libido/energy any other benefits to maca?
I believe it's KSM-66 that lowers cortisol, not general Ashwaganda. The highest dose of KSN-66 I've seen is 300mg/serving

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Phosphorylated Serine is another one. 100 Caps is about $30 at 1 Cap a day.

georgetown

Awards
  • Established
I believe it's KSM-66 that lowers cortisol, not general Ashwaganda. The highest dose of KSN-66 I've seen is 300mg/serving
you know how much ksm-66 is in ashwagandha? General A. should still help to a degree

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
No. KSM-66 is just a quality standardized Ashwagandha extract that was used in many studies. It's standardized for 5% withanolides HPLC. Other ash extracts have been found to be effective in studies, ranging from 1.5-10% withanolides, and doses from 9-30 to even 100mg withanolides per day. 30mg/day is the most common, as it is what all of the KSM-66 studies use (300mg 2x daily at 5%). As long as you have an Ashwagandha extract standardized for withanolides with HPLC, you have a quality/effective Ashwagandha extract. I'd dose 30mg/day withanolides, the exact amount in Alphamax XT.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Damn, I would have cleared that out!
Yup. It was at Christmas time or I would have bought at least twice as much. Stuff is awesome tasting too.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
In addition to KSM and Tongkat Ali, AlphaMax XT contains DHAA instead of Arimistane. The results between the two are similar, but too often, Arimistane creates joint discomfort for people. DHAA is not nearly as bad on the joints.

Sculptor

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Just remember cortisol does not need to be obliterated. Just controlled. Some cortisol can be beneficial at certain times, just like estrogen. Many of the recommendations above will help this, but don't fear cortisol, maintain a healthy routine and manage stress effectively and you'll be fine.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Just remember cortisol does not need to be obliterated. Just controlled. Some cortisol can be beneficial at certain times, just like estrogen. Many of the recommendations above will help this, but don't fear cortisol, maintain a healthy routine and manage stress effectively and you'll be fine.
This is true, but, as you said, many of the ingredients mentioned here (Ashwagandha, tongkat Ali, PS) are not going to obliterate estrogen by any means, more of just keep it at a low, but healthy, amount (controlled, as you said). They also have other benefits (stress/anxiety reduction and physical benefits with Ashwagandha and libidos benefits with tongkat Ali are just a few examples) and are generally healthy supplements.

IMO, the best (or at least my favorite) natural supplements that benefit hormone levels (reducing cortisol, increasing test, etc) do more than simply regulate/effect hormone levels. Besides the previous examples, Forskolin has been shown to increase test, but that's not the only (or even best IMO) effect it has, as it can benefit body composition via other MOAs. So, while something like AlphaMax XT isn't going to obliterate your cortisol levels (or increase your test to supraphysiological levels), the improvement in hormones can help with things like libido and stress, and also have benefits relating to physical performance and body composition via other methods than simply reducing cortisol or increasing testosterone.

mw1

mw1

Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I know reduce xt is good for this but looking for alternatives for cost and knowledge stuff, how does vitamin c, ashwaghanda, and rhodiola rosea sound for some light cortisol control? Any other suggestions?
Reduce XT is extremely effective and pretty inexpensive, especially at just two caps a day

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
The other 3 are good combinations and you certainly couldn't go wrong, but I would see them as being more the route to go of you were looking to optimise/ control cortisol output.

Reduce XT can also be used to control cortisol secretion and you can easily half dose the product if you feel you dont need the full dose to get what you're after. Works out pretty cheap that way

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
Beta-sitosterol beneficial for bph as well

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
Its also a potent anti-androgen...
I'm so proud of you :). It's useful for cholesterol and bph as well as other things too. Not sayings it is the go to, but it has its uses as well.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Abliterate ammo and abliterate advanced get my vote. Not sure of your budget but reduce xt isn't really expesnive?

georgetown

Awards
  • Established
No thanks on the reduce xt guys.... Does ashwaghanda have any effect on libido

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
No thanks on the reduce xt guys.... Does ashwaghanda have any effect on libido
Not in my experience, or in any studies I recall. However, it does have a nice stress/anxiety reducing effect, which can help with some libido related activities, and some research suggests that it can promote social function/interaction, which is something that goes very well with high libido IMO. Tongkat has a pronounced pro-libido effect for me, and many other people. High libido + low stress = great!

georgetown

Awards
  • Established
Not in my experience, or in any studies I recall. However, it does have a nice stress/anxiety reducing effect, which can help with some libido related activities, and some research suggests that it can promote social function/interaction, which is something that goes very well with high libido IMO. Tongkat has a pronounced pro-libido effect for me, and many other people. High libido + low stress = great!
Cool, what was your dosing, 600 mg 1-2x good?

Edit: i did see in some study/post can't remember what kind of source that dosing too high had a negative impact on libido

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Edit: i did see in some study/post can't remember what kind of source that dosing too high had a negative impact on libido
If you're using KSM-66 (or another 5% withanolides extract) 600mg/day is a good dose, either split into 2 300mg doses, or as 1 600mg dose. That's 30mg/day withanolides, which is what you should base your Ashwagandha dose on. Doses as low as 9mg/day withanolides have been shown to be effective in studies for stress/anxiety, but 30mg has more research for more potential applications/benefits. Doses as high as 100mg/day withanolides have been used in a study(s) for cognitive enhancement.

I've never heard that it can negatively effect libido, only that it makes some people a bit tired if they take a high dose, especially when they first start taking it. It is sometimes used as an aphrodisiac, and (in mice) has been shown to reduce stress and decrease the reduction in sexual activity (essentially restoring libido) resulting from chronic stress. The study you are referring to that noted a decrease in libido in mice used a massive dose, and even then, it was hypothesized to be secondary to the large dose being sedating.

Human studies I've seen have either not measured/observed effects on libido, or have noted improvements, for both men and women (the following is from a study using KSM);
This study showed improvements in female sexual health as measured by some metrics commonly employed by gynaecologists to assess desire, arousal, lubrication, satisfaction and orgasm.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

I've been dosing the Jarrow brand KSM for about 3-4 weeks now. I dose 300mg with my morning meal and 300mg with my pre bed meal. No affect on libido on that dose. I have notice I am more calm and I have a better sense of well being.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ashwagandha is a very useful ingredient, and, although lower doses can be/are effective, the 30mg/day dose is where it really shines IMO, and dosing it less isn't really utilizing it to its full potential. No need to go crazy with the dosing though. If 600mg is too sedating, split the dose (the studies used a split dose), and if the 300mg still makes you a bit tired, try taking it with some caffeine/stims.

Daycrawler

Awards
  • Established
KSM-66 is great.

ReduceXT is also great.

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've been taking the Sensoril ashwagandha extract for the last couple weeks and so far like it better than ksm-66. For me, it's more calming and seems to provide a better lift in mood. Of course, that could just be because of the higher dose that I was taking (500 mg/day of an 8% extract).

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've been taking the Sensoril ashwagandha extract for the last couple weeks and so far like it better than ksm-66. For me, it's more calming and seems to provide a better lift in mood. Of course, that could just be because of the higher dose that I was taking (500 mg/day of an 8% extract).
That makes sense then, 40mg withanolides vs 30mg. Both are quality extracts.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
That makes sense then, 40mg withanolides vs 30mg. Both are quality extracts.
There was a time when Jarrow had both Std Extracts available. Maybe it was a transition period - Now I only see KSM, but I *did* have some Jarrow Sensoril.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
There was a time when Jarrow had both Std Extracts available. Maybe it was a transition period - Now I only see KSM, but I *did* have some Jarrow Sensoril.
I've never used Jarrow Sensoril (or any Sensoril standalone) but I do like their KSM; better price and dose (300mg vs 250mg) than Swanson's. There is one place that sells KSM-66 and Sensoril powder though, which is pretty interesting.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
I've never used Jarrow Sensoril (or any Sensoril standalone) but I do like their KSM; better price and dose (300mg vs 250mg) than Swanson's. There is one place that sells KSM-66 and Sensoril powder though, which is pretty interesting.
I did the math on bulk 3% Salidroside, and 3% Witholanide powder - Jarrow was cheaper (but to be fair, Jarrow((or anyone)) does not provide 3% of each). What's the math work out to on those two powders, compared to Jarrow capped? (Not looking for names, sources, etc... can't afford the infraction :D - just the numbers).

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The one I bought recently is made by Natural Factors. It's 250 mg per capsule of the sensoril extract for $0.20. So, pretty cheap.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I did the math on bulk 3% Salidroside, and 3% Witholanide powder - Jarrow was cheaper (but to be fair, Jarrow((or anyone)) does not provide 3% of each). What's the math work out to on those two powders, compared to Jarrow capped? (Not looking for names, sources, etc... can't afford the infraction :D - just the numbers).
Cheapest I see the Jarrow KSM for is $0.18 for 30mg withanolides. For the powders, it's $0.18 for the same dose (KSM) and $0.17 for the same withanolide content from Sensoril (10% vs 5% with KSM). The prices on the Jarrow caps are just insane right now; at just over $5 per month, it's one hell of a deal IMO.

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Cheapest I see the Jarrow KSM for is $0.18 for 30mg withanolides. For the powders, it's $0.18 for the same dose (KSM) and $0.17 for the same withanolide content from Sensoril (10% vs 5% with KSM). The prices on the Jarrow caps are just insane right now; at just over $5 per month, it's one hell of a deal IMO.
Yeah, you really can't beat Jarrow for ksm-66. Natural factors was the cheapest capsule (price per mg withanolides)I found for the sensoril extract. However, I'm already starting to think it might be a little too strong. Was very sleepy all yesterday and so far today after taking it. Benefits are still there though. So, I might try a lower dose (125 mg) but take it more frequently throughout the day. I wish suppliers of ksm-66 would product capsules with less than 250-300 mg (don't want to buy bulk powder and fill my own capsules). That extract is way too strong for me at those doses (hence the reason why I'm trying sensoril right now).

georgetown

Awards
  • Established
wtf.. why? Makes no sense.
Lol i know, i was looking for a single ingredient like $7. I can get reduce xt id just rather save it for more serious cortisol control, just looking for something to help, idk call me crazy

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, you really can't beat Jarrow for ksm-66. Natural factors was the cheapest capsule (price per mg withanolides)I found for the sensoril extract. However, I'm already starting to think it might be a little too strong. Was very sleepy all yesterday and so far today after taking it. Benefits are still there though. So, I might try a lower dose (125 mg) but take it more frequently throughout the day. I wish suppliers of ksm-66 would product capsules with less than 250-300 mg (don't want to buy bulk powder and fill my own capsules). That extract is way too strong for me at those doses (hence the reason why I'm trying sensoril right now).
You could try either taking it at night or before bed, or have you tried taking it with caffeine/stims?

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You could try either taking it at night or before bed, or have you tried taking it with caffeine/stims?
I still have half a bottle of jarrow ksm-66. So, maybe starting tonight I'll give that a try (at one or two capsules) and just not take any in the morning. Hopefully the calming effects will carry into the next day without redosing in the morning. I have tried it with coffee but it seems to completely negate the effects of caffeine. So, I guess you could say that caffeine works. I don't feel any stimulation from the caffeine but I also don't feel the tiredness from the ashwagandha. However, I would rather not have to take caffeine every morning, so I'll give the nighttime only dosing a try first.