How long for ephedrine to leave the system

srocco112

srocco112

Awards
  • Established
How long after stopping use does it take for ephedrine to leave the body? May be having a drug test for work at some point and dont want any false positives.

Thanks

Chefdeez

Chefdeez

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Most drug tests just test for illicit street drugs but I'd say 3-4 days to be the bare minimum. I'd give yourself a week to make sure.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just disclose it on the form. They should ask for current medications. List it and you should be fine even if the test flags it.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Half Life is 4 hrs, so does that mean cleared in 8hrs? Not a chemist :) Traces hang around? Not exactly an illegal drug either (State residence depending I guess) - OTC with ID for shortness of breath during exertion. Can't believe they'd waste money on testing for it???

Chefdeez

Chefdeez

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Half Life is 4 hrs, so does that mean cleared in 8hrs? Not a chemist :) Traces hang around? Not exactly an illegal drug either (State residence depending I guess) - OTC with ID for shortness of breath during exertion. Can't believe they'd waste money on testing for it???
They won't test directly for it but could show as amphetamines if they test for that general category. It's legal though so if you pop for any reason you should be able to explain it.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
They don't test for it per se, it can however cause a false positive for amphetamine use

Chefdeez

Chefdeez

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It's not really a false positive since ephedrine is an amphetamine.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
It means that after 8 hours, 1/4 of the original dose (in theory) is in your system. It seems to be detectable for 6-10 days after ingestion.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's not really a false positive since ephedrine is an amphetamine.
That's really a pointless comment to make and on top of that, directly conflicts with your previous one (in which you state incorrectly that drug test only screen for illicit drugs so ephedrine wouldn't show)

Furthermore, who has classified ephedrine as an amphetamine? You? Based on what criteria?

Yes, ephedrine is related and similar to amphetamine salts but they are not the same thing. Structurally they are related mechanistically they both deliver a stimulant effect via a similar mechanism however, this does not make ephedrine an amphetamine. There are plenty of other compounds that are structurally related to amphetamine and are psychoactive (some which happen to be stimulants and some which arent), none of which are considered amphetamine.

Saying ephedrine = amphetamine is both misleading and wrong

Chefdeez

Chefdeez

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I mean as far as drug tests are concerned, ephedrine is considered an amphetamine. Look up major sports and NCAA testing guidelines and you will see it listed under amphetamines. So no, I'm not saying ephedrine is exactly the same as amphetamines but as far as testing associations go it is.

Edit: I was referring to workplace tests only testing for illicit drugs. (My work tests for cocaine, heroic, marijuana, and oxycodone specifically) Sports are a completely different ballgame.

banjobounce

banjobounce

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
No. In 8 hrs there would still be 25% left. (0.5*0.5*1)....

sorry didn't see the above post.