Need some help sorting this out...

JSmith911

Awards
Guys, great site. I'm a first time poster, but have been reading things here off an on for many years.

I've recently had an experience that I was hoping you could weigh in on....

Long story short, I came down with some weird allergies about the year ago and have had to modify my diet pretty significantly, I don't tolerate supplements well but needed a way to get some extra nutrition and I found I did ok with the Emergen-C packets once a day.

Long story short, after a few days I noticed a pretty sharp increase in libido and erection quality/frequency. I wasn't complaining, and didn't even really think too much of it till about a month later when I started noticing nipple pain and tenderness. Connected the dots, and obviously started to worry about gyno and what the heck was going on inside my body.

I stopped the packets, and then everything returned to baseline within a couple days. Started the packets back up, and got the same effects again. I repeated the process a few times and it was consistent.

Obviously this stuff is having an effect on my hormonal axis....but why, and in what way?

I'm going to get some blood work done and try to dig deeper, but does anyone have any ideas?

Looking at the ingredients, I thought maybe the aspartic acid, but the amount seems way too low to have an affect, plus it's the L kind.

Other than that, I'm stumped.

Little background on me, I'm a 32yo male with borderline low testosterone....used to be quite high, like 975, now it seems to hover between 400-550. Don't know why. Never used steroids of any kind, but did work out regularly for many years.

Anyone have any thoughts at all?

Oh, and in case you want to look at the ingredients, I was taking the lemon-lime flavor. Also, I'm not affiliated with these guys or any other company in anyway. Just a guy trying to feel better.

Thanks!

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
You sure it's directly related... Just read the ingredient panel of emergen-c and I couldn't see anything that should cause gyno.

A more experienced member may have an idea but I can't see anything strange.

EDIT: just noticed the aspartic acid, it's rare but in some cases it can flare gyno if it's already there. It won't cause it, must mean you have a very mild gyno already. (Genetically)

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
doubt its the emergen-c

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Yeah, this is a new one for me, but if you truly have allergies that are that bad, it could simply be an allergic reaction and not gyno at all. Honestly, I would consult with an allergist and possibly a nutritionist who has experience in food allergies to help you figure it out and see what you can and cannot add into your diet. You'll probably have to do a bit of trial and error depending on what the allergy issue is.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It's definitely not the emergen-c. They are nothing but low-med dose vitamins that taste delicious. I crush 5-6 packets a day.

cubsfan815

cubsfan815

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It's definitely not the emergen-c. They are nothing but low-med dose vitamins that taste delicious. I crush 5-6 packets a day.
I used to take it all the time. Raspberry is my favorite lol. With young kids in house I take tons of Vitamin C products, Vitamin D, and always have Zicam on hand.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
You guys must have money to burn. I just buy 5 pounds of bulk Vit C powder for $30 and put 5-10 grams in a gallon of crystal light and drink that every day. Haha.

I agree - your supplement is unlikely the cause. You should talk to a professional who can do blood work. Without blood work we would all be just making guesses.

fweed

Awards
Interesting. Had you been under any heightened stress?
Prolactin can increase nipple sensitivity. Maybe have a hormonal blood test and speak with an endocrinologist.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You guys must have money to burn. I just buy 5 pounds of bulk Vit C powder for $30 and put 5-10 grams in a gallon of crystal light and drink that every day. Haha.

I agree - your supplement is unlikely the cause. You should talk to a professional who can do blood work. Without blood work we would all be just making guesses.
Emergen-c, the new 1%. Lol

JSmith911

Awards
Thanks for all the replies, and sorry for the delay. I'm as surprised as you guys, but it's definitely the Emergen-C. The effects are completely reproducible and resolve when I stop taking it. They aren't all bad either, such as the increased libido. It's absolutely the weirdest thing. I never would have guessed. It's also not vitamin c, as I can take tons of that separately without any effect. Only thing I could think was maybe something with the B vitamins, or the aspartic acid.

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
Guys, great site. I'm a first time poster, but have been reading things here off an on for many years.

I've recently had an experience that I was hoping you could weigh in on....

Long story short, I came down with some weird allergies about the year ago and have had to modify my diet pretty significantly, I don't tolerate supplements well but needed a way to get some extra nutrition and I found I did ok with the Emergen-C packets once a day.

Long story short, after a few days I noticed a pretty sharp increase in libido and erection quality/frequency. I wasn't complaining, and didn't even really think too much of it till about a month later when I started noticing nipple pain and tenderness. Connected the dots, and obviously started to worry about gyno and what the heck was going on inside my body.

I stopped the packets, and then everything returned to baseline within a couple days. Started the packets back up, and got the same effects again. I repeated the process a few times and it was consistent.

Obviously this stuff is having an effect on my hormonal axis....but why, and in what way?

I'm going to get some blood work done and try to dig deeper, but does anyone have any ideas?

Looking at the ingredients, I thought maybe the aspartic acid, but the amount seems way too low to have an affect, plus it's the L kind.

Other than that, I'm stumped.

Little background on me, I'm a 32yo male with borderline low testosterone....used to be quite high, like 975, now it seems to hover between 400-550. Don't know why. Never used steroids of any kind, but did work out regularly for many years.

Anyone have any thoughts at all?

Oh, and in case you want to look at the ingredients, I was taking the lemon-lime flavor. Also, I'm not affiliated with these guys or any other company in anyway. Just a guy trying to feel better.

Thanks!
just curious,

have you had your liver enzymes checked? while using emergen, did you use any medications or otc maybe tagamet,allegra, zantac
JudoJosh im pulling straws here but doesnt quercetin interact with those medications in the way they are disbursed within the body?

wait to see what he says