Coffee Beats Caffeine

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Coffee Beats Caffeine in the Gym: More Reps + Higher Total Volume on Squats Due to Ingredients Other Than Caffeine - SuppVersity: Nutrition and Exercise Science for Everyone

Saw this the other day. Ran down to Wal-Mart and grabbed a 12oz Great Value jar of instant ~$6. One 70cc protein scoop is ~16g, slightly above the study amount of 14.4g, but it's easier to dose - or just do 3 level Tbs for about 15g. Added to 12oz of hot water. Downed it with my current PrWO of Triumph plus Bulks. It's more liquid, but wasn't bad - you could probably go 8-10oz of water. I don't expect miracles, but every (cheap) bit helps. I'll have to compare sessions in the log book after a few days. Anyway, FYI if interested.

jgntyce

jgntyce

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
The research king strikes again! Great info!

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
^^ Thats funny. But seriously I get up in the morning have my cup of coffee and then it flushes me out. haha TMI right.

Robert5891

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How much caffeine is in that amount of instant coffee?

compan

compan

Awards
They're definitely on the same playing field for regularity.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
How much caffeine is in that amount of instant coffee?
I went by:

According to the USDA*, 1 rounded teaspoon of instant coffee (1.8 grams in weight) contains 57 mg of caffeine
With the study amount of 14.4g (for my weight), that would be 456mg of Caffeine. I went a little more (by ~2g).

The actual numbers are:

0.15 g/kg caffeinated coffee (COF; 3.4g per 100g coffee = 5.1mg/kg body weight), **There seems to be a typo here in the study**
0.15 g/kg decaffeinated coffee (DEC; 5mg caffeine per kg coffee = almost zero),
0.15 g/kg decaffeinated coffee plus 5 mg/kg anhydrous caffeine (D+C),
5 mg/kg anhydrous caffeine (CAF), or
a placebo (PLA; 5 mg·kg-1 maltodextrin from MyProtein, Manchester, UK).
So just multiply your weight in Kilos x 0.15 to get the amount of Instant Coffee. Multiply weight in Kilos x 5.1 to get study amount of Caffeine.

They used Nescafe' Tasters Choice, but that stuff is expensive (~$8 for a 7oz jar)... I went cheap, probably very little difference.

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Coffee Beats Caffeine in the Gym: More Reps + Higher Total Volume on Squats Due to Ingredients Other Than Caffeine - SuppVersity: Nutrition and Exercise Science for Everyone

Saw this the other day. Ran down to Wal-Mart and grabbed a 12oz Great Value jar of instant ~$6. One 70cc protein scoop is ~16g, slightly above the study amount of 14.4g, but it's easier to dose - or just do 3 level Tbs for about 15g. Added to 12oz of hot water. Downed it with my current PrWO of Triumph plus Bulks. It's more liquid, but wasn't bad - you could probably go 8-10oz of water. I don't expect miracles, but every (cheap) bit helps. I'll have to compare sessions in the log book after a few days. Anyway, FYI if interested.
I'm a big fan... I've always loved my coffee. And I drink it black so there's no extra calories just all the good stuff!

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
And I've been reading that they're claiming coffee helps prevent Parkinson disease, diabetes and certain types of cancer. How many more reasons do you need to chug some coffee

Robert5891

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I went by:

With the study amount of 14.4g (for my weight), that would be 456mg of Caffeine. I went a little more (by ~2g).

The actual numbers are:

So just multiply your weight in Kilos x 0.15 to get the amount of Instant Coffee. Multiply weight in Kilos x 5.1 to get study amount of Caffeine.

They used Nescafe' Tasters Choice, but that stuff is expensive (~$8 for a 7oz jar)... I went cheap, probably very little difference.
SOB, that's a lot of caffeine at once! I usually like 225-300mg caff in my pre's. I'm not very stim sensitive as I can drink coffee late at night and go right to sleep, but i.e. Never done more than 325mg at once.

Did it seem like too much?

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
SOB, that's a lot of caffeine at once! I usually like 225-300mg caff in my pre's. I'm not very stim sensitive as I can drink coffee late at night and go right to sleep, but i.e. Never done more than 325mg at once.

Did it seem like too much?
Nope, didn't seem like too much. I'm very stim tolerant - I can do 25mg Ephedrine with 20mg Yohimbine + 300mg Caffeine all day long. No crash either, but I do 200mg L-Theanine in my PrWO.

ManimalPatB

ManimalPatB

Awards
^^ Thats funny. But seriously I get up in the morning have my cup of coffee and then it flushes me out. haha TMI right.
I'm the EXACT same way. If I need it to get moving in the am, have a cup or two of coffee and by 9 I am GOLDEN!!!! lol

Daycrawler

Awards
  • Established
Instant coffee is good stuff, when I was in Israel I'd pop a caffeine pill and have some instant coffee to deal with the jet lag. Fond memories. Still prefer the convenience of a pill tho

DonnieM

DonnieM

Awards
  • Established
Good stuff! Very interesting :)
I sometimes put freshly made (+chilled) moka coffee in my shakes/smoothies. Goes especially well with chocolate whey.

Edit: Just weighted up 14g instant coffee, damn thats a lot of java!! My normal cup is ~3-4g.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Good stuff! Very interesting :)
I sometimes put freshly made (+chilled) moka coffee in my shakes/smoothies. Goes especially well with chocolate whey.

Edit: Just weighted up 14g instant coffee, damn thats a lot of java!! My normal cup is ~3-4g.
Yeah, it's 3 leveled Tbs. I'm sure less works great too, but that's the dose they used in the study. It's all the other stuff in Coffee, so you can even use Decaf and just use whatever Caffeine you've been using in a Pre, Tabs/Caps, etc...

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Just had 3 Tbs and 400mg L-Theanine - Mmmmm, mmmmmm, good :)

Bigdumogre

Bigdumogre

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I actually really like instant coffee mixed with cola. Remember coke black? It was coffee soda, short lived but was good.
Don't remember that but I do have instant coffee at home so I should try. I usually mix it in a protein shake for breakfast

Aaron.Cole

Aaron.Cole

Awards
I bought some Animal Whey Mocha Cappuccino and have been mixing that with my coffee in the morning. Descrumptious.

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I actually really like instant coffee mixed with cola. Remember coke black? It was coffee soda, short lived but was good.
I remember coke black, I liked that alot. But it seems like whenever I like something they discontinue it.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
You didn't like the 'old' formulation with cane sugar?
New Coke came out in the 80's and I remember liking it - That's about all I can remember from back then. Didn't know anything about ingredients or anything. I liked the regular stuff too - but a lot of people hated New Coke, LOL.

Audioph1x

Audioph1x

Awards
  • Established
New Coke came out in the 80's and I remember liking it - That's about all I can remember from back then. Didn't know anything about ingredients or anything. I liked the regular stuff too - but a lot of people hated New Coke, LOL.
Yeah my dad still bitches about new coke, he buys the Mexican coke whenever possible srs. It has cane sugar still.

Audioph1x

Audioph1x

Awards
  • Established
Yes. It seriously looks that way by just looking at that one post. Haha, he's damn sick and tired of the new white folk coke.

Justlooking5

Justlooking5

Awards
Interesting. Personally I prefer guarana tabs to coffee, I notice a more pleasant buzz, maybe better fat loss, less teeth staining/stomach irritation, and it feels like a less cortisol-y/stress stimulant effect.

Audioph1x

Audioph1x

Awards
  • Established
Coffee always gives me a better, more awake buzz than caffeine tablets. I was never sure why that was, but now I know. Thanks for the info.