Can you really build tolerance to Melatonin through daily supplementation?

muchstronger2

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So,

Is there such a thing as building tolerance to Melatonin, even when administered on a daily basis?

Melatonin is a hormone, so the only way by which one would build tolerance would be if Melatonin receptors were downregulated through supplementation over time.

If I take Testosterone for example: someone on testerone reaplacement therapy for life doesn't build tolerance to testosterone over time so that it stops working.

In fact the opposite is true as testosterone receptors are upregulated when exogenous T is administered.

Does anyone have a study on upregulation / downregulation of Melatonin receptors through supplementation over time?

Thank you!

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
I can't provide you with a study, but over time with daily supplementation your body begins to expect the extra Melatonin supplement which can result in a reduction of natural Melatonin production. Just as exogenous testosterone will shut down natural testosterone production in the body, your body takes a similar approach with Melatonin. Over time the body adjusts and expects the supplemental melatonin, and your body can begin to build a tolerance to it causing you to have to supplement with more to get the same effect.

This is why most supplement labels and most products suggest you take time off and 'cycle' the products so your body does not build a tolerance to it. Its a similar reason why steroids and testosterone are cycled as well.

highlander31

highlander31

Awards
  • Established
no. there are plenty of studies showing that there is no melatonin dependency with supplementation, regardless of how much or little you use and regardless of duration used. I read plenty of these studies taking a grad level sleep physiology course with the professor specializing is sleep research for 20+ years.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I havent really heard that you will build a tolerance. I do know a lot of sleep aids say 5 on 2 off but I picked up a bottle of Dream N grow by IML and ran it non stop and had perfect sleep each night with no tolerance built up and it had melatonin in it.

ManimalPatB

ManimalPatB

Awards
I have heard that you can build up a tolerance for it BUT I haven't seen any studies saying that it is true. Ive used it almost nightly and never had any issues with a tolerance. Might always depend on the individual

muchstronger2

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I can't provide you with a study, but over time with daily supplementation your body begins to expect the extra Melatonin supplement which can result in a reduction of natural Melatonin production. Just as exogenous testosterone will shut down natural testosterone production in the body, your body takes a similar approach with Melatonin. Over time the body adjusts and expects the supplemental melatonin, and your body can begin to build a tolerance to it causing you to have to supplement with more to get the same effect.

This is why most supplement labels and most products suggest you take time off and 'cycle' the products so your body does not build a tolerance to it. Its a similar reason why steroids and testosterone are cycled as well.

You are talking about there being a negative feedback loop induced by Melatonin supplementation, I am asking on a different note whether there is downregulation of the receptors.

As every exogenous hormone of course there will be a shutdown of endogeneous production.

But that doesn't matter to me, as I am willing to be on "Melatonin replacement therapy" for life if necessary.

My only concern would be that Melatonin becomes less effective with time. If we were to compare with Testosterone injections, I would say it is not a concern, as Testosterone doesn't have a diminished impact over time.

But again, are these two mechanisms comparable...?

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Examine says there is no negative feedback loop with Melatonin supplementaion. Suppversity has pages and pages of benefits and no mention of negative feedback that was readily apparent. The older you get, the less Melatonin you produce - I take 2.5mg every night.

highlander31

highlander31

Awards
  • Established
You are talking about there being a negative feedback loop induced by Melatonin supplementation, I am asking on a different note whether there is downregulation of the receptors.

As every exogenous hormone of course there will be a shutdown of endogeneous production.

But that doesn't matter to me, as I am willing to be on "Melatonin replacement therapy" for life if necessary.

My only concern would be that Melatonin becomes less effective with time. If we were to compare with Testosterone injections, I would say it is not a concern, as Testosterone doesn't have a diminished impact over time.

But again, are these two mechanisms comparable...?
No to down regulation of receptors.

And you could take melatonin for years and one day not take it and produce it as normal immediately upon cessation.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
This is Negative Feedback. In the case of Melatonin, I can not find that this occurs. If you have a link saying that it does, I'd be glad to read it. Melatonin may be the exception to the rule. Highlander31 seems to have a handle on it due to his academic studies. Anecdotally, I've been taking it for years, and haven't found I needed to "up the dose" to feel as tired before bed - which would lead me to believe that there is no receptor down-regulation.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established

And you could take melatonin for years and one day not take it and produce it as normal immediately upon cessation.
Interesting, I honestly never knew that was how it worked with Melatonin. Thanks for the info brother

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Interesting, I honestly never knew that was how it worked with Melatonin. Thanks for the info brother
I think its a wicked cool hormone - it's triggered by a visual stimulus (light to dark), how cool is that! :)

muchstronger2

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Greatest news of the day!

Have you seen any study on this particular aspect?

highlander31

highlander31

Awards
  • Established
Greatest news of the day!

Have you seen any study on this particular aspect?
Yes, quite a few, but again, Id have to do some digging. You could probably just do a google scholar search for melatonin articles and have plenty of studies come up.

hsk

Awards
  • Established
I use 3mg of melatonin every night and have had no issues with tolerance. Sometimes when I forget to take I still fall asleep with no problems.