how much zinc is still OK?

fartster

Awards
I know max dose is said to be 50 mg for most, but I've read of people taking more than that like around 200 mg a day split dosages, etc. Is this even OK? I have a single zinc supplement that I don't use as to not over take zinc with the zinc that's already in my ZMK (30 mg zinc).

Is it OK to take 50 mg of zinc in the morning then the zinc in the ZMK prior to bedtime? That's at least 16 hours apart.

DonnieM

DonnieM

Awards
  • Established
For what reason do you want to high-dose Zinc?

For general health benefits I wouldnt go over ~40mg/day. But if it's for another reason/medical condition your Doctor may prescribe differently.

"The tolerable upper intake level, or UL, is the maximum amount of a nutrient that a human can consume without suffering potentially dangerous side effects. This means that, for an adult, taking more than 40 milligrams of zinc daily is too much."
(According to the Institute of Medicine's Food and Nutrition Board)

fartster

Awards
Strange since most companies do sell a 50 mg version even the Walmart brand. I've read of guys taking 200 mg a day and they can "feel" their sex drive. I know 200 mg may be over the top, but I'm not going that route considering the foods I eat already have zinc in them, but food sources aren't the same as supplemental sources.

DonnieM

DonnieM

Awards
  • Established
Im sure there are other factors like what form of Zinc, bioavailability etc. Also if planning on dosing long-term (then maybe 50mg is fine) or short-term "superloading" 100mg for 2-4 weeks.
Im no expert in this area whatsoever but if going higher than rec., dose do more research on what other things to take in consideration.

fartster

Awards
well as you know info. change all the time, not sure how old that thing is, but there was a time when cholesterol was said to be bad for you, but now researchers seem to back pedal. Also, the RDA (recommended daily allowance) is as manmade as cheesecake. The RDA for vitamin C is 60 mg (like in most multi vits). I have taken 18 grams of vitamin C daily before and the RDA was peanuts compared to what I was taking. Didn't feel sick, didn't get sick. I split 6 grams 3x daily. Then again, zinc is another animal, since Vitamin C is water soluble that it can get out of the body faster.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Well, I can see some skepticism with the RDA of things - I too laugh at some RDA's. But TUL's are usually based on a bunch of different things, including LD50 etc... They really can find out how much can hurt you easier than how much is needed minimally/optimally. I like to err on the side of caution with metals.