is BAIBA similar to GHB?

fartster

Awards
I see the BAIBA info on the front page and it stands for beta aminobutyric acid, sounds close to gamma-hydroxybutyric acid (GHB) which releases HGH and can increase muscle strength considering it is prescribed for cataplexy. Any info. on who even sells this BAIBA supplement?

henryv

Awards
  • Established
I see the BAIBA info on the front page and it stands for beta aminobutyric acid, sounds close to gamma-hydroxybutyric acid (GHB) which releases HGH and can increase muscle strength considering it is prescribed for cataplexy. Any info. on who even sells this BAIBA supplement?
GHB is a growth-hormone secretagogue, but it is also a controlled drug.
BAIBA's got a somewhat-similar chemical structure (insofar as both are based on butyric acid), but the effects are completely different. BAIBA is actually, structurally, much closer to beta-alanine, and shares a similar metabolic origin in the body.

There are a number of butyrate derivatives with interesting metabolic effects, like the ketone BHB for example.
beta-hydroxybutyrate.png

Beta-hydroxybutyrate (BHB) is a ketone body produced by the liver during periods of fasting or reduced carbohydrate intake (ketosis). Ketone bodies can be used by most cells as an alternative fuel source to glucose. Like BAIBA, BHB is also a white fat browning agent.

If you're interested in the science, have a read of the Essential roles of four-carbon backbone chemicals in the control of metabolism, which looks at the properties of a number of butyrate-related molecules, including BAIBA and BHB.

Edit: Forgive the pedantry, but I just noticed that you said BAIBA stands for beta aminobutyric acid. Actually it's short for beta-aminoisobutyric acid. It may seem like a small difference, but beta-aminobutyric acid (BABA) is a different molecule with entirely different properties.

Alex281

Alex281

Awards
  • Established
Antaeus Labs sells - BAIBA or LIPOMORPH

schizm

schizm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
^^ and further reading about it can be found in their subforum ;)

fartster

Awards
I see, some nice info. I'm curious if BAIBA have any effect on any of the brain neurotransmitters? Is it a Gabaergic like GHB?

Speaking of Antaeus Labs, anyone here ever used their 7,8-dihydroxyflavone product? I've been curious about it and no one else sells them. I don't know why Antaeus has exclusive products that no one else sells, like BAIBA.

henryv

Awards
  • Established
I see, some nice info. I'm curious if BAIBA have any effect on any of the brain neurotransmitters? Is it a Gabaergic like GHB?
It's not GABAergic. It is a partial agonist of the glycine receptor, like taurine and beta-alanine.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
I don't know why Antaeus has exclusive products that no one else sells, like BAIBA.
Probably because they have *really* good detectives finding the raws at a price they can then sell to the consumer and still make a profit. BAIBA from Sigma-Aldrich is $64 per gram. Which reminds me: henryv - the Sigma BAIBA states "98%" or more specifically:

217794 Aldrich
DL-3-Aminoisobutyric acid
98%
Synonym: α-Methyl-β-alanine
Is this the same stuff in your tub? 98%?

henryv

Awards
  • Established
I don't know why Antaeus has exclusive products that no one else sells, like BAIBA.
We do our own R&D.

Probably because they have *really* good detectives finding the raws at a price they can then sell to the consumer and still make a profit.
We make our own BAIBA. If another company is struggling to source it, or would like to formulate with any of our other exclusive ingredients (like our nano/cyclo CoQ10), they're welcome to get in touch.

henryv - the Sigma BAIBA states "98%" or more specifically:
Is this the same stuff in your tub? 98%?
I'm sure ours is about that. Let me try and get a number for you.
Edit: Yeah, it's 98%+.

fartster

Awards
Henry,

if you work for/with Antaeus, are you guys familiar with the product called Gamibetal? It was said to be similar and or convert to GHB or GHB like, it is available legally and unscheduled. It is marketed as a nootropic. GHB is known as an antidepressant/GH releaser, among other things. But do look into Gamibetal. I bought mines from a Canadian online seller. I don't think anyone in the U.S. sells them. Another seller is from South Africa. The manufacturer of it is a lab from Italy. Sorry can't post links yet.

They sell different versions of the product like "Plus" and "Complex", etc. I haven't tried it yet but I am soon. Hopefully someone can bring it to the U.S. domestically.

I was hoping BAIBA was in the same league, but I guess not. LOL. Which is why I brought up this thread...

henryv

Awards
  • Established
Henry,

if you work for/with Antaeus, are you guys familiar with the product called Gamibetal? It was said to be similar and or convert to GHB or GHB like, it is available legally and unscheduled. It is marketed as a nootropic. GHB is known as an antidepressant/GH releaser, among other things. But do look into Gamibetal. I bought mines from a Canadian online seller. I don't think anyone in the U.S. sells them. Another seller is from South Africa. The manufacturer of it is a lab from Italy. Sorry can't post links yet.

They sell different versions of the product like "Plus" and "Complex", etc. I haven't tried it yet but I am soon. Hopefully someone can bring it to the U.S. domestically.

I was hoping BAIBA was in the same league, but I guess not. LOL. Which is why I brought up this thread...
BAIBA is completely different, sorry. We have no plans to sell GABOB.

fartster

Awards
henryv, one of the products Antaeus sells is the 7,8-dihydroxyflavone. I'm not sure what it's marketed purpose is supposed to be but my interest in it is due to its purported psychiatric benefits. I hope it's the same one that they speak of in this article (I can't post links):

Drug reduces the increase in fear caused by previous traumatic experiences in mice

Living a traumatic experience favors the persistence of fear associated with an aversive stimulus, known as fear conditioning. Scientists in the US and Spain have now found that such an effect, in mice, can be suppressed with a single dose of 7,8-Dihydroxyflavone, a type of flavonoid which boosts the ability to acquire new emotional behaviors. Researchers believe that the drug could also be used as an effective treatment of post-traumatic stress, panic and phobia disorders in humans.

henryv

Awards
  • Established
henryv, one of the products Antaeus sells is the 7,8-dihydroxyflavone. I'm not sure what it's marketed purpose is supposed to be but my interest in it is due to its purported psychiatric benefits. I hope it's the same one that they speak of in this article (I can't post links):

Drug reduces the increase in fear caused by previous traumatic experiences in mice

Living a traumatic experience favors the persistence of fear associated with an aversive stimulus, known as fear conditioning. Scientists in the US and Spain have now found that such an effect, in mice, can be suppressed with a single dose of 7,8-Dihydroxyflavone, a type of flavonoid which boosts the ability to acquire new emotional behaviors. Researchers believe that the drug could also be used as an effective treatment of post-traumatic stress, panic and phobia disorders in humans.
We sell the same compound they discuss. Its marketed purpose is as a nootropic that may benefit things like mood, memory and cognition. Unfortunately we can't advise on the taking of our 7,8-DHF supplement for the treatment of any medical conditions, either physical or mental. Psychiatric conditions are best treated by psychiatric professionals.

Speaking more broadly, a lot of interesting research has been done on 7,8-DHF and how it behaves similarly to BDNF. 7,8-DHF activates the same receptor as BDNF (the TrkB receptor) and as such can be considered an orally-active BDNF mimetic.

Brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) is a protein that helps the brain to maintain a healthy supply of neurons. It's implicated in cognitive function and reduced expression in depression and various models of cognitive decline. Stress decreases BDNF expression, while BDNF expression is increased by exercise. In fact the anti-depressive effects of exercise have been attributed to this BDNF boost, at least in part. BDNF is also a regulator of energy metabolism, and activates UCP-1 (thermogenin) in brown fat. 7,8-DHF hit the headlines last year when it was found that it limited weight gain in female mice fed a high-fat diet.

7,8-DHF stacks well with our other product, Queen Bee Acid, which has similar neurogenic, anti-depressive and anti-anxiety effects to BDNF when tested in mice, believed to be through BDNF-mediated properties. If one was looking to maximise BDNF-related benefits, I would suggest trying things like 7,8-DHF, queen bee acid, fish oil, exercise, and sleep - though I will stress that our products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any medical condition.

fartster

Awards
I don't think a high fat diet causes weight gain (from my experience with a ketogenic diet). Ketogenic diet is high fat and low carbs (20 carbs or less a day). The higher the fat the more the ketosis. I lost 15 pounds. I stopped that diet as I looked better thicker. I think carbs causes weight gain. The way I upped my weight is to eat whatever I want to eat. I don't get at all why it turns to belly fat though, all those foods I ate back.

henryv

Awards
  • Established
I don't think a high fat diet causes weight gain.
A high fat diet (in this case 45% of calories from lard) reliably replicates a model of diet-induced obesity in rodents. The rodents weren't on a ketogenic diet.

henryv

Awards
  • Established
The og date rape drug?
Although it’s mostly thought of in the public consciousness as a date-rape drug, GHB is also used medicinally as a treatment for narcolepsy and alcoholism, and historically as an anaesthetic. It's also a growth hormone secretagogue, as mentioned above. As a medication the sodium salt form is preferred, and the drug is known as sodium oxybate.

fartster

Awards
Prescription GHB is called Xyrem. Even Bill Cosby wasn't using GHB on his "girls", LOL. He was more into barbiturates.

drswsdc

drswsdc

Awards
Henry,

What has your experience been with Gamibetal? Very interested in this for GH release is there aren't many side effects! Thanks man!