lacking motivation

ohiostate2827

ohiostate2827

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
been lacking motivation lately..i know certain supps help with this issue...what do you guys like overall supplement wise...

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
For motivation? Are you looking for like a preworkout to kick you into gear or just something to make you feel better more throughout the day?

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
What exactly are you lacking?
Energy? Mood run down?

I read into things like excess ellipses use, sometimes.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nothing is going to help motivation.. that comes from within bro. You need to find out why your head isn't there. Maybe you need a decent break. It is not uncommon for serious bodybuilders to take a month or two off from time to time.

Hockeyaus33

Hockeyaus33

Awards
  • Established
As a natural bodybuilder, I feel like 1-2 months off would literally turn me into a stick figure

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yea I wouldn't take some time off I would suggest maybe checking out phenibut xt by sns and/or get some mesomorph by APS. It's my fav pwo right now and gets me motivated and going everytime I take it.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
As a natural bodybuilder, I feel like 1-2 months off would literally turn me into a stick figure
I would have the opposite problem... Id be a blimp ha. Exercise is the only thing that allows me to eat like I want and not turn into the stay-puft marshmallow man

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
There's no powdered motivation, you have to want it and go for it. I think there are supplements that can help fight fatigue and boost focus and energy, but motivation is a completely different subject. If you're lacking motivation, no supplement will give you the drive to be proactive. Its possible that you need some time off, or you need to deload/low volume week and refocus.

ryanp81

ryanp81

Awards
  • Established
Like what is being posted here it comes from within my man but there are certain things I like to take that'll help balance me out when I'm in the same boat. Adaptogens such as rhodiola are awesome, also a combo of L theanine and Lemon balm are really killer for me.

Quads_of_Stee

Quads_of_Stee

Awards
unfortunately there aren't really any supplements for this, otherwise it would be a hot seller. Especially for other fields

ManimalPatB

ManimalPatB

Awards
Sounds like you either need a new preworkout (cough MESOMORPH cough)

OR if you have been killing it for so long you might need a deload or a recharge (take a few days off, break from the diet for a day, get some extra sleep, Netflix and chill, etc etc etc)

Motivation comes from within, but sometimes if you don't "feel it" that is the body telling you to take some time off

ryanp81

ryanp81

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like you either need a new preworkout (cough MESOMORPH cough)

OR if you have been killing it for so long you might need a deload or a recharge (take a few days off, break from the diet for a day, get some extra sleep, Netflix and chill, etc etc etc)

Motivation comes from within, but sometimes if you don't "feel it" that is the body telling you to take some time off
Yeah because the remedy is trying a new pre workout that has the probability of making matters worse but I'm under the impression you're joking to a certain agree with the first part of your post...I agree with everything else you said.

rhoadx

Awards
  • Established
how long has it been since you took a week off or deload? A week off does a body good when you truly need it, and mentally you'll be ready again. Whats the sense in forcing yourself and having subpar workouts when you could take a week let youself heal up and compensate, then come back ready to hit it.

NewAgeMayan

Awards
Generally speaking, people who are making progress find themselves in a positive feedback loop, where the progress generates motivation and the motivation perpetuates progress.

Of course, this is not infinite in terms of longevity. We all tend towards stagnation, no escaping that.

You may need to examine why progress has stalled. If you can summons the motivation to do so :)

Blergs

Blergs

Awards
  • Established
has to come from within man. maybe watch bbing motivational youtube videos.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Take a week off an eat whatever you want and sleep as much as you can. Just stay home and don't do anything but watch tv, eat and sleep. Just make sure a week doesn't turn into a month.

TeamTGB

TeamTGB

Awards
It sounds like your burnt out brother, the CNS will give in way before the body will. I would take a break you will know when its time to go back you will be itching to get back into the gym. Other than that i would look into adaptogens and maybe some reduce-xt from sns to help with the cortisol which yours is probably elevated right now.

jgntyce

jgntyce

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Adrenosurge may help.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I would take a week or two off. Maybe even switch routines. If you've been following the same routine for a while, it can become monotonous and boring.

kboxer7

kboxer7

Awards
  • Established
If its "energy" you need or mood enhancement there are some things to help, but for "motivation" that's all you man.

The best thing to keep me motivated is to have a "goal." I'm competitive even with myself, so as long as I have something to work towards I'm usually golden.

And try to make it something attainable, not the "end goal" of what you want to look like as we all know that can take years. Try to lock in some simple goals you want to hit by a certain date and measure your progress towards that end.

Rewarding yourself for hitting certain benchmarks can be a fun way to keep things interesting as well.

alfredm005

Awards
I'm in the same boat. After tomorrow gonna switch routines and go from evening workouts to morning starting monday. Switching things up usually brings the motivation back for me

alwaysfirst

Banned
Awards
Nothing is going to help motivation.. that comes from within bro. You need to find out why your head isn't there. Maybe you need a decent break. It is not uncommon for serious bodybuilders to take a month or two off from time to time.
I disagree, I always want to train but sometimes too tired to, a good amount of caffeine or a good pre workout helps me a ton!

OP find something that works for you, like Focus XT to get my mind right.

kboxer7

kboxer7

Awards
  • Established
I disagree, I always want to train but sometimes too tired to, a good amount of caffeine or a good pre workout helps me a ton!

OP find something that works for you, like Focus XT to get my mind right.
Right but perhaps we're splicing hairs here.

There is a difference between not having the "energy" to go, and actually wanting to go. So if energy/focus is an issue there are definitely supps that can help with that...like El1x1r : )

Thefatbloke

Awards
  • Established
Some good advice and some well meaning but bad advice here. I think you need to clarify what you mean by lacking motivation, as that could cover a multitude.

The good advice here is to take a week or two off, spend some time with friends and family, do some general outdoor activities and get some quality rest. You need to be certain you are ok - depression can sneak up on you and present as feeling and bit slow in the gym or lacking a bit of motivation. If you dont feel 100% after a couple of weeks off, then go see your Dr. Hopefully you are just tired and a little overtrained and the rest will have you back to your old self.

Best Wishes

TrainerTone

TrainerTone

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If motivation is what you need I'd suggest hopping on to YouTube and looking at some classic videos such as Animal The Cage videos or old Arnold videos.

Audioph1x

Audioph1x

Awards
  • Established
Man honestly take the advice from T-Bone. Sometimes all I need is just a week off. At about day 5 I'm itchin to get back at it. You gotta autoregulate sometimes based on how you feel. Remember, it's a marathon not a race. You've got time.

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Man honestly take the advice from T-Bone. Sometimes all I need is just a week off. At about day 5 I'm itchin to get back at it. You gotta autoregulate sometimes based on how you feel. Remember, it's a marathon not a race. You've got time.
Agreed. Taking time off, focusing on school and spending more quality time with my girl was probably the best thing I've done

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Okay, so I haven't seen OP post back in here amongst everything else, but I'll go ahead and chime in.

Nutrition, regular training, and a solid sleep schedule.

Not even kidding.

I hate Winter with a passion. I don't mind the cold, but the lack of daylight just kills me. I get depressed, moody, etc. So that makes it really easy for me to let things snowball out of control in other areas. I'd been staying up late to watch TV shows after I had to get extra work in after getting home from work -- you know, being an adult and doing the household crap that comes after the 9 to 5. But I'd tell myself I still deserved some relaxation time, but that just ended up coming out of my sleep time budget. And during that time, I'd eat garbage food because I was staying up later when I normally wouldn't be. And then the next morning my alarm would go off at 5 to get ready to train and I'd say "naw, I want to sleep 2 more hours and I'll just train after work" so I'd hit snooze. And then I wouldn't train after work because I had all the other stuff to do. I'd fall asleep on the couch watching TV at 11:30 PM instead of going up to bed; I'd forget to take my probiotic/vitamins/etc. that I normally take pre-bed because of that.

Anyway, that's just an illustration of how vicious of a cycle this can be (to me, at least). I had an appt. set up with my doc last week for another issue, but ended up going in asking about what his thoughts were on looking at something for minor depression/the lack of motivation. I have a really cool GP and we openly talk about everything and he knows I do my homework on stuff. But by the end of it, I knew the answer myself. We had some labs drawn for total/free test and some other things (to accompany the thyroid labs and other stuff that I had to regularly check anyway), but I knew the answer -- I needed to get back on track.

It's been a week now (give or take) since getting back into my routine and I feel great.

I still sip on Alphamine at the office (since I don't care for coffee -- I'm drinking some RL right now). I still take my pre-workout (today is an off day from lifting, so I just woke up early and hit the treadmill at home while watching last night's episode of New Girl), so my day lately starts off with 2 scoops of ModernPre+ at 5:30 AM after I drink some BCAAs first thing with my thyroid Rx. I love stimulants and supplements, but without the other parts of my life in place, they weren't doing dick. Not to the extent of being able to overcome everything else, at least.

So this is just an open letter to anyone who sees this title and happens to read this thread. I know you hear those of us who have been on this board for ages preaching about nutrition, training, rest, and how it feels like we're dodging the answer on supplements, but they're just that -- they supplement the rest of a healthy/balanced life.

Anyway, let me step down from my soapbox lol, but seriously, I can't stress enough how important those things are.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
btw, just had a wtf moment when I saw "garbage" hyperlinked in my post, so I went ahead and clicked on it -- I suggest you all do the same. Good for a little lol in your day :)

lukehayd

lukehayd

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Okay, so I haven't seen OP post back in here amongst everything else, but I'll go ahead and chime in.

Nutrition, regular training, and a solid sleep schedule.

Not even kidding.

I hate Winter with a passion. I don't mind the cold, but the lack of daylight just kills me. I get depressed, moody, etc. So that makes it really easy for me to let things snowball out of control in other areas. I'd been staying up late to watch TV shows after I had to get extra work in after getting home from work -- you know, being an adult and doing the household crap that comes after the 9 to 5. But I'd tell myself I still deserved some relaxation time, but that just ended up coming out of my sleep time budget. And during that time, I'd eat garbage food because I was staying up later when I normally wouldn't be. And then the next morning my alarm would go off at 5 to get ready to train and I'd say "naw, I want to sleep 2 more hours and I'll just train after work" so I'd hit snooze. And then I wouldn't train after work because I had all the other stuff to do. I'd fall asleep on the couch watching TV at 11:30 PM instead of going up to bed; I'd forget to take my probiotic/vitamins/etc. that I normally take pre-bed because of that.

Anyway, that's just an illustration of how vicious of a cycle this can be (to me, at least). I had an appt. set up with my doc last week for another issue, but ended up going in asking about what his thoughts were on looking at something for minor depression/the lack of motivation. I have a really cool GP and we openly talk about everything and he knows I do my homework on stuff. But by the end of it, I knew the answer myself. We had some labs drawn for total/free test and some other things (to accompany the thyroid labs and other stuff that I had to regularly check anyway), but I knew the answer -- I needed to get back on track.

It's been a week now (give or take) since getting back into my routine and I feel great.

I still sip on Alphamine at the office (since I don't care for coffee -- I'm drinking some RL right now). I still take my pre-workout (today is an off day from lifting, so I just woke up early and hit the treadmill at home while watching last night's episode of New Girl), so my day lately starts off with 2 scoops of ModernPre+ at 5:30 AM after I drink some BCAAs first thing with my thyroid Rx. I love stimulants and supplements, but without the other parts of my life in place, they weren't doing dick. Not to the extent of being able to overcome everything else, at least.

So this is just an open letter to anyone who sees this title and happens to read this thread. I know you hear those of us who have been on this board for ages preaching about nutrition, training, rest, and how it feels like we're dodging the answer on supplements, but they're just that -- they supplement the rest of a healthy/balanced life.

Anyway, let me step down from my soapbox lol, but seriously, I can't stress enough how important those things are.
Sheesh! Write a book why don't ya! ;)

ohiostate2827

ohiostate2827

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
how long has it been since you took a week off or deload? A week off does a body good when you truly need it, and mentally you'll be ready again. Whats the sense in forcing yourself and having subpar workouts when you could take a week let youself heal up and compensate, then come back ready to hit it.
training hard three months..

ohiostate2827

ohiostate2827

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
yeah thinking may just need a sleep vacation...havent really rested since november lol..

latinorebel

Awards
I'm really glad this post is up.

I was going to post a similar thread titled, "Winter got you fatigued?"

I've been training super hard since December. I gained over 10 pounds during that time. Cats have been asking me if I'm on the juice.

But it's just been hard work while on EU, SU and TR1UMPH, along with my staple supplements.

But the last week has been real, real, real tough. I'm working out. I have all my strength.

But I'm fu^kin dragging through my workouts. I'm super tired and fatigued after every set, and ultimately throughout the rest of my day.

I'm presuming this is the feeling the person who began the thread is talking about -- maybe.

Anyways, I'm increasing my Vitamin D3 and taking a week off soon to see what happens.

It's winter -- but let's get through this ya'll!

More gains are right around the fu^kin corner!

Wooooooooooo!

ohiostate2827

ohiostate2827

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i take 10000 iu liquid d3 everyday under the tongue

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i take 10000 iu liquid d3 everyday under the tongue
Have you ever had blood work to check your vit. D levels?

Mine have been on the lower end of normal up to mid-range, but I've only ever used 5,000iu/day supplemented on my own since then and not any higher.

ucheoma

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
OPs probably too unmotivated to check responses to their thread :knockedout:

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
ohiostate2827

ohiostate2827

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Have you ever had blood work to check your vit. D levels?

Mine have been on the lower end of normal up to mid-range, but I've only ever used 5,000iu/day supplemented on my own since then and not any higher.
my d3 lvls stay in the 70s range

ohiostate2827

ohiostate2827

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
took a week off work and working out...taking 300mg of l-dopa..seem to be making a come back