L-Citrulline pre-workout only or every day? (and IMO better than CM)

Justlooking5

Justlooking5

Awards
Hey. So I have been taking Citrulline malate 2:1 from XXXXXXX at about 3-4g on off days and 6-8g preworkout. I honestly don't think I noticed that much from it.

I recently thought I re-ordered the CM 2:1 but actually just ordered L-Citrulline. I tried it for the first time at 6g preworkout today after being off CM for a few days and IMO it's WAY better. I got a notably good pump and it felt more like the NO2 feeling I remember from taking NO2 supps in the past. I'm on low carbs and still had a great pump and good strength and mind-muscle connection, which I never noticed from CM.

Anyway, I'm going to stick with L-Citrulline, but I was wondering whether I should take it daily, or only on pre-workout days for optimal effect on muscle gains/performance enhancement. Thanks.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
L-Citrulline is best IMO. the 2:1 CM you were taking is a 2 to 1 ratio of citrulline to malic acid. L-Citrulline is what delivers the pump during your workouts. Its perfectly safe to take every day, but some choose to only take it on days when they want to get a serious pump. I typically don't take a pump enhancing product or citrulline on leg day, just because I feel that the pump limits my range of motion and makes hitting failure harder. It doesn't make a difference if you choose to take it every day or not, it comes down to personal preference IMO

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Stick to 3-4 grams L-Citrulline pre-workout only.

kboxer7

kboxer7

Awards
  • Established
Pre only, unless you have border-line or high BP. In that case, Cit can aid in lowering BP on "off days."

As already stated, if using L-cit 3-4g is perfect. If using Cit Malate I'd go 6-8.

USPlabsRep

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hey. So I have been taking Citrulline malate 2:1 from Xxxxxxxx at about 3-4g on off days and 6-8g preworkout. I honestly don't think I noticed that much from it.

I recently thought I re-ordered the CM 2:1 but actually just ordered L-Citrulline. I tried it for the first time at 6g preworkout today after being off CM for a few days and IMO it's WAY better. I got a notably good pump and it felt more like the NO2 feeling I remember from taking NO2 supps in the past. I'm on low carbs and still had a great pump and good strength and mind-muscle connection, which I never noticed from CM.

Anyway, I'm going to stick with L-Citrulline, but I was wondering whether I should take it daily, or only on pre-workout days for optimal effect on muscle gains/performance enhancement. Thanks.

What the data says:

Acute (just workout days). 8 grams Citrulline Malate 2:1 for strength endurance

Chronic(every day), 6 grams L-citrulline for NO associated acitivity

compan

compan

Awards
I prefer L-Cit over Cit Mal myself and would say 3-4g pre-workout is a good place to be for supplemental L-Cit. If my pre-workout has no L-Cit in it, I will typically add in 6g but I also love a big pump.

Daycrawler

Awards
  • Established
Preworkout. No real benefit on off days.

kboxer7

kboxer7

Awards
  • Established
Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Up to your budget. But if you have it in bulk, it was cheap, so why not try to get the daily benefits too.

hsk

Awards
  • Established
I prefer bulk L-Citrulline as well. I use it 4-5 g preworkout, and 2-3g (sometimes 4-5g depending on activity level) on off days.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
L-Citrulline is far far better.. reason why we changed from CM to L-citrulline in hemavo2 max..

Def stick with l-citrulline bro!

USPlabsRep

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Preworkout. No real benefit on off days.
True on Citrulline malate 2:1

not true on L-Citrulline, the postive study with NO markers that showed positive resultswas with every day use. Its the opposite on your post.

USPlabsRep

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It also impacts lipid oxidation as well as leutenizing hormone.
yea, aside from the bodybuilding aspect (pump), the research of daily use as "healthy" is being discovered/studied/reviewed now.

that's the non Bro answer...

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I prefer cit mal, myself -- just because it helps make everything taste better :)

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
I prefer cit mal, myself -- just because it helps make everything taste better :)
So true, lol.
When I do buy bulk it's CM.

Within a product I prefer L-cit, smaller tub by saving those 4g/serving and it will be flavoured anyways

TrainerTone

TrainerTone

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Agreed, I much prefer L Citrulline over CM any day

Justlooking5

Justlooking5

Awards
I've decided to try it daily at 6-8g (perhaps a bit high but I do weigh about between 220 and 225 and I have noticed increased benefit with slightly higher than typical doses of supplements.

Today was the second day I've taken it and I had great energy all day as well as minimal fatigue from yesterday's weight training session despite being on low cals/carbs and doing 35 min cardio in the morning.

Getting leaner is helping with my energy levels I'm sure, but my overall energy/lack of fatigue has been very noticeable today. Plus, I look more pumped/full...

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've decided to try it daily at 6-8g (perhaps a bit high but I do weigh about between 220 and 225 and I have noticed increased benefit with slightly higher than typical doses of supplements.

Today was the second day I've taken it and I had great energy all day as well as minimal fatigue from yesterday's weight training session despite being on low cals/carbs and doing 35 min cardio in the morning.

Getting leaner is helping with my energy levels I'm sure, but my overall energy/lack of fatigue has been very noticeable today. Plus, I look more pumped/full...
Give this a try (self promotion - should have got this to market before the bandwagoners ;) )

My Current formula:
8g L-Citrulline
1g - Agmatine
1.6g - KNO3 (1g Nitrate)
.5g - Vit. C
.5g - NAC

The intra-set recovery is insane. You can go all day.

rreal_natty

rreal_natty

Awards
Give this a try (self promotion - should have got this to market before the bandwagoners ;) )

My Current formula:
8g L-Citrulline
1g - Agmatine
1.6g - KNO3 (1g Nitrate)
.5g - Vit. C
.5g - NAC

D*mn bro i bet. That stack islegit

alexoc949

alexoc949

Awards
  • Established
wait WHAT?

When did I miss this news?

Citrulline Malate is L-Citrulline with Malate added? How can L-Cit be Far Far better?

hsk

Awards
  • Established

My Current formula:
8g L-Citrulline
1g - Agmatine
1.6g - KNO3 (1g Nitrate)
.5g - Vit. C
.5g - NAC

Nice! I do the following myself:

10g 2:1:1 BCAA
5-6g L-Citrulline
1.5g Agmatine
200mg Caffiene
500mg Green Tea Extract
25mg Forskolin-95
500mg Citicoline
20-30mg Noopept
1500mcg MethylCobalamin B12

USPlabsRep

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

My Current formula:
8g L-Citrulline
1g - Agmatine
1.6g - KNO3 (1g Nitrate)
.5g - Vit. C
.5g - NAC

Wait till you see MaxReps formula...

and I agree on intra set recovery

Justlooking5

Justlooking5

Awards

My Current formula:
8g L-Citrulline
1g - Agmatine
1.6g - KNO3 (1g Nitrate)
.5g - Vit. C
.5g - NAC

Any headache issues with agmantine? I have heard positive things about agmantine as well.

Robert5891

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If it's just pumps you're after, L-Cit is the way to go, if you want pumps and a boost in endurance, cit mal is what you'd want to take.

Personally, I like to get both an most times opt for cit mal, but having 5g of l-cit in Limitless made for a fun chest and back sessions!

alexoc949

alexoc949

Awards
  • Established
If it's just pumps you're after, L-Cit is the way to go, if you want pumps and a boost in endurance, cit mal is what you'd want to take.

Personally, I like to get both an most times opt for cit mal, but having 5g of l-cit in Limitless made for a fun chest and back sessions!
right..

where are people getting L-Cit is better than Cit. Mal?

Justlooking5

Justlooking5

Awards
L-Citrulline is far far better.. reason why we changed from CM to L-citrulline in hemavo2 max..

Def stick with l-citrulline bro!
Just curious, what was your reasoning in going with L-Citrulline instead of CM?

Robert5891

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Re read my post, I never said L-Cit was better....but cit mal offers pumps AND endurance. L-Cit is mostly just pumps.

alexoc949

alexoc949

Awards
  • Established
Re read my post, I never said L-Cit was better....but cit mal offers pumps AND endurance. L-Cit is mostly just pumps.
yeah, i know.. that's why i liked the post

It was kind of like I was reiterating your post while still wondering where people were getting L-Cit was better... maybe there are some studies and new info I didn't see.. I'm not always up to date

Robert5891

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
yeah, i know.. that's why i liked the post

It was kind of like I was reiterating your post while still wondering where people were getting L-Cit was better... maybe there are some studies and new info I didn't see.. I'm not always up to date
Ah ok gotcha! Hard to read intentions only on messages boards, haha.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

My Current formula:
8g L-Citrulline
1g - Agmatine
1.6g - KNO3 (1g Nitrate)
.5g - Vit. C
.5g - NAC

I think I'd pass out.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Theoretically I should too but I never experience anything like hypotension. The higher dose nitrates can cause a very mild shortness of breath that passes quickly. It's indicative that it's running through my system and time to get busy moving heavy stuff over and over again :D

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Go with koyowaka branded citrulline

Daycrawler

Awards
  • Established
True on Citrulline malate 2:1

not true on L-Citrulline, the postive study with NO markers that showed positive resultswas with every day use. Its the opposite on your post.
Interesting, I must've mixed them up.

Will check out that study. Thanks.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
They have both shown benefits, but IIRC only 8g of Citrulline Malate was tested in weight lifting athletes. I think plain L-Citrulline was tested on normal incline walkers with a statistically insignificant improvement (as far as "performance" goes - Solo L-Cit has other benefits).

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I personally believe Citrulline > Citrulline Malate in every aspect.

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
To expound on this, Citrulline Malate is a combination of L-Citrulline and Malic acid. The majority of supplements contain a 1:1 blend of Citrulline/Malic acid, that is simply blended together, not bonded on a molecular level. What this enables a supplement company to do is increase the "dose" while significantly reducing cost of the product.

For reference, Citrulline costs about $18-$25/kg while Malic Acid costs about $2/kg.

Citrulline offers proven nitric oxide benefits which help with pump as WELL as endurance.

Malic acid offers endurance enhancement via ATP production.

So, using either Citrulline or Citrulline Malate, I would suggest trying to get a 2-4g Citrulline by weight. To acheive this via Cit Malate, that is 4-8g(about, Citrulline accounts for 56.6% of the dose if using a traditional 1:1 blend)

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
The majority of supplements contain a 1:1 blend of Citrulline/Malic acid, that is simply blended together, not bonded on a molecular level.
While I agree that cheap a$$ hucksters try to push their 1:1 for profit, nobody with any credibility should sell (or buy) anything but Bonded 2:1. Jym uses 2:1, and SNS Bulk is 2:1. The actual study that showed ergogenic benefits in resistance training, actually used the prescription drug (in Spain) Stimol TM - which is bonded 2:1 Citrulline Malate.

80mL CM solution; 8g CM, 8 Stimol sachets from Laboratorios Pe´rez Gime´nez, Spain, 20mL
lemon juice, 10g powdered sugar, 60mg sodium saccharine, and tap potable water until complete 200mL of solution...

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
While I agree that cheap a$$ hucksters try to push their 1:1 for profit, nobody with any credibility should sell (or buy) anything but Bonded 2:1. Jym uses 2:1, and SNS Bulk is 2:1. The actual study that showed ergogenic benefits in resistance training, actually used the prescription drug (in Spain) Stimol TM - which is bonded 2:1 Citrulline Malate.
I agree that 2:1 is better, because it contains more Citrulline.

where do you have info showing either use bonded 2:1? I am not seeing it(I don't doubt you, but it's not claimed on the label...which to be is the final word for a product as write ups can be out dated).

I would be highly inclined to believe SNS uses it, but with Jym I really don't have much knowledge of the company.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
I agree that 2:1 is better, because it contains more Citrulline.

where do you have info showing either use bonded 2:1? I am not seeing it(I don't doubt you, but it's not claimed on the label...which to be is the final word for a product as write ups can be out dated).

I would be highly inclined to believe SNS uses it, but with Jym I really don't have much knowledge of the company.
Jym has stated it numerous times verbally in his YT videos, and I contacted SNS and asked.

And don't discount the Malic Acid - unless there is some data that I missed CM has been the only one tested on weightlifters looking at reps, as far as I can find.

Or just say screw all this witch doctory, and down 30g of cheap a$$ Baking Soda and blow both BA and CM out of the water :D

GamutofFear

Awards
I take citruline daily. As for form of one vs the other....they are both effective imo.

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Jym has stated it numerous times verbally in his YT videos, and I contacted SNS and asked.
ah, my opinion stands then. I know SNS has great QC and offers high quality stuff.

I don't see why Jym wouldn't list it on the label if it was the case. His videos are full of lies/half truths, so him claiming it to be 2:1 and bonded doesn't mean a thing to me.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
ah, my opinion stands then. I know SNS has great QC and offers high quality stuff.

I don't see why Jym wouldn't list it on the label if it was the case. His videos are full of lies/half truths, so him claiming it to be 2:1 and bonded doesn't mean a thing to me.
Yeah, anyone can lie - but it's all over his old writings too:

Each dose of Pre JYM provides 6 grams of citrulline malate at a 2:1 ratio of citrulline to malate. No preworkout supplement on the market even comes close to providing this much citrulline malate or this much citrulline, period. And many of those preworkouts with underdosed citrulline malate use a 1:1 ratio of citrulline to malate. That means that you are getting even less of the critical amino acid citrulline than you realize.

Why did I include so much citrulline malate in Pre JYM? Because I know how effective this amino acid is for boosting performance in the gym. And 6 grams is the minimum dose that is shown to be effective in clinical studies. Anything less isn’t even worth taking.

Citrulline malate is the amino acid citrulline attached to a molecule of malic acid (malate), or in the case of the form I have used in Pre JYM, two molecules of citrulline attached to one molecule of malate....

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
yup I agree(per usual) with you.

This is just yet another reason why I prefer L-Citrulline. There's no questioning it. 1g=1g.