Highest quality Intra-Workout Carbs?

bpowell1985

Awards
I have never been one to typically ingest carbs doing my workout, however I had a sample packet of Gaspari Glycofuse with their 25g of Highly Branched Cyclic Dextrin, and it made a huge difference in my workout. Sometimes if I push it too hard (I train fasted) I get a little light headed and so I wanted to see if there were other products similar to this on the market? Also, is Highly Branched Cyclic Dextrin the best quality form of intra-workout carbs? Thanks for any information!

JoeRich

Awards
Is there a reason why you train fasted??? Is this due to time constraints? I have found that getting in some time of carb before a workout is the best.

I usually consume 2 bagels

bpowell1985

Awards
90% of the time I workout in the morning upon rising. I will take some BCAA's usually (Kaged Muscle or Scivation brand) along with my preworkout prior, then eat a nice meal afterward. The only time I worked out fasted with the addition of Glycofuse I felt like I could workout a lot longer with no lightheaded feeling or anything so I thought it may be a good idea to give it a shot.

Tmac29

Awards
HBCD is about the best you are going to get for intra carbs.

I believe the SizeOn MP use to utilize Isomaltulose (Palatinose).

Glycofuse and Super Carb are both HBCD.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
If you want just carbs:
Glycofuse or Waxy Maize would be good suggestions

If you want an all in one product with BCAA + Carbs:
intra-MD

You could consider adding HBCD or your card powder of choice to:
Intra-MD EAA+
CL Purple Wraath
Scivation Xtend/Xtend Performance

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have never been one to typically ingest carbs doing my workout, however I had a sample packet of Gaspari Glycofuse with their 25g of Highly Branched Cyclic Dextrin, and it made a huge difference in my workout. Sometimes if I push it too hard (I train fasted) I get a little light headed and so I wanted to see if there were other products similar to this on the market? Also, is Highly Branched Cyclic Dextrin the best quality form of intra-workout carbs? Thanks for any information!
HBCD is more expensive than other intra-carb powders.

If you tolerate HBCD well and don't mind spending the money, then grab bulk HBCD or Glycofuse, Super Carb, or Intra-MD.

You could always try bulk dextrose or Gatorade powder and see if that causes any GI issues, bloat, or negatively impact your workout.

Personally, I am using Karbolyn and it is working just fine.

Olympus Labs

Olympus Labs

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
we will have an all in one intra soon which will come in a carb version. ENDUR3+, hoping to launch by the Arnold

Zoomie33240

Zoomie33240

Awards
  • Established
I completely agree on it making a big difference for me too. I train first thing in the a.m. as well and I have used a ton of different powdered carb sources. If you have the money you could always get Carb10 by MTS nutrition, Karbolyn, Glycofuse, Karbolic, and others. I have just about used them all and they are all good stuff that caused me no G.I. issues or crash.

However, I was looking for something more cost effective recently and ran up on Cytosport Cytomax powder that is like $15-$17 for a 27 serving container. I really like it actually I drink pre workout and during my workout with my BCAA's. I personally like Cytomax just about the best so far for the price but any of the above options are great choices as well.

Btw, I absolutely hate using Gatorade or any other simple sugars pre workout (especially for early morning workouts). They make me feel sick and hypoglycemic as heck.

BigKrabbe

BigKrabbe

Awards
  • Established
I love HBCD, but damn is it spendy. If you have the money though IMO there is no better carb source. I can't remember what forum it was on, but several members ran blood glucose tests following ingestion of HBCD and Waxy Maize and the difference was pretty negligible. I don't like the texture/consistency of waxy maize either though. Pretty much the most delicious drink you can imagine supplement wise is watermelon glycofuse with Myofuel, expensive but I'd take that over just about any other drink if I had the choice.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'd try some basic Gatorade powder (or something similar) and see how that works. You may find you don't need a more expensive carb source.

Regardless I think something along the lines of many of the recommendations in here may be beneficial with your current schedule.

TeamTGB

TeamTGB

Awards
I myself use vitargo, it has always worked best for me. I like karbolyn next ive even uses a 50/50 blend of the two that was a nice drink as well.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm with bolt10 here and just use Gatorade powder myself

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I like the GSN brand!

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
As an aside, one of my professors actually drinks Gatorade mixed with whey as a intra. Vanilla and orange Gatorade doesn't seem bad but he has done some pretty vile and disgusting combos

TeamTGB

TeamTGB

Awards
As an aside, one of my professors actually drinks Gatorade mixed with whey as a intra. Vanilla and orange Gatorade doesn't seem bad but he has done some pretty vile and disgusting combos
Its actually good, i used to do the same myself.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yea he says it isn't bad, and some combinations such as the vanilla and orange don't sound that bad, the idea of whey + juice still sounds gross to me. Don't know why it just sounds like they won't mix well

TeamTGB

TeamTGB

Awards
Yea he says it isn't bad, and some combinations such as the vanilla and orange don't sound that bad, the idea of whey + juice still sounds gross to me. Don't know why it just sounds like they won't mix well
I do them one at a time, so i shake the whey up then add the gatorade powder then shake it again. Its always been fine for me that way.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I do Gatorade + aminoIV

BigKrabbe

BigKrabbe

Awards
  • Established
I used to do vanilla whey plus orange Gatorade! From what I remember it's pretty dang good, and cost effective.

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Gatorade. I stock up when it goes on sale for less than 80 cents per 32oz bottle. Happens about once a month at the grocery store i go to .

Bigdumogre

Bigdumogre

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Bulk dextrose is the best bang for the buck. Currently using waxybolic by Nutrabolics and I get no GI issues from it

Robert5891

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've used a few powders before. Most recently, I've rotated between Super Carb from NutraBio and Intra-MD from Prime. They're both HBCD, but for whatever reason, Super Carb seems to sit better in my stomach and doesn't leave me feeling as heavy or sluggish during my workout.

compan

compan

Awards
Cheap option, I'd say Gatorade. But as far as supps go that I have used and really enjoyed, Nutrabio Super Carb is up there for me. Intra-MD is also a great option.

ManimalPatB

ManimalPatB

Awards
Intra MD was always my favorite pre workout carb. I never felt bad on it, unlike some of the other ones.

Gatorade/PowerAde was always my goto when I ran out of intra.

Vitargo makes me feel like garbage, I start sweating like crazy on it, get an upset stomach and was like no thanks

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I love HBCD, but damn is it spendy. If you have the money though IMO there is no better carb source. I can't remember what forum it was on, but several members ran blood glucose tests following ingestion of HBCD and Waxy Maize and the difference was pretty negligible. I don't like the texture/consistency of waxy maize either though. Pretty much the most delicious drink you can imagine supplement wise is watermelon glycofuse with Myofuel, expensive but I'd take that over just about any other drink if I had the choice.
How does it compare to Vitargo ?

kdubson14

Awards
  • Established
I did chocolate ON whey + orange Gatorade powder 15 years ago in high school. It did not taste like a chocolate orange as I had hoped.

Super Carb for me if I'm taking carbs intra. HBCD mixes the best out of the carb powders I've tried (Karbolic, Karbolyn, waxy maize, dextrose, gatorade) and has no taste

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Powerade and aminos for me.

25g: 10g

Although, if I don't eat shortly after my workout, I get cold sweats and nausea as if I'm going hypo.

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Powerade and aminos for me.

25g: 10g

Although, if I don't eat shortly after my workout, I get cold sweats and nausea as if I'm going hypo.
Drop in blood sugar causing that following your intra-drink. One of the many reason why these other carb sources are utilized.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Drop in blood sugar causing that following your intra-drink. One of the many reason why these other carb sources are utilized.
That's why I mentioned it. It's not a hindrance to me though, since i literally eat right after.

Only time It happens is if I get hung up talking to someone

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Bcaa will put one out of ketosis when already maxed on carbs looks like. Or will the hbc negate it from making insulin rise?