Hypothyroid Newbie

lynda

lynda

Awards
Hello

I am 40 years old, I have been trying to put on muscle and lean out for the past two years.

I do see that I have gained muscle, but the fat loss .... is very slow going:-/ . I still have a thick layer of fat over all of my body, most especially my hips and I have saddlebags that will not go away. My diet is clean, I eat the same thing EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. I work really hard in the gym. I see other folks working less than me and not eating as well, but their fat loss is insane... ! I don't count my macros. I just stick to the double my weight in protein diet, eat clean carbs and no processed foods.

I have hypothyroidism, I am taking 100mcg a daily and will have to take this for the rest of my life.

Right now I am need help to get me past this plateau!!! I'm so frustrated. I don't expect a magic pill, I put in the work and I am okay with the struggle, but I really feel like there might be something out there that can help me. help :-/!

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
If you are eating the same thing every day and not losing weight, then try to cut back on calories a bit each day. By "double your weight in protiein", do you mean 2g per pound of body weight? If so, that is an excessive amount of protein. You can start there by lowering your protein intake, which will decrease your total calorie intake to help put you in a calorie deficit. If you're struggling to lose weight, I suggest you begin counting calories to accurately assess how much you're eating. Its hard to tell if you're guessing portion sizes and estimating things.

In order to lose weight, you need to expend more energy than you consume. Whether it be by decreasing calorie intake, or increasing calorie output, you need to create a deficit so your body will use stored fat for fuel. What does your training program look like?

lynda

lynda

Awards
I am essentially training myself, so I need a lot of advice…

BUT I lift 6 times a week for and hour+ switching out body parts throughout the week, i hit my lower body more often because it is slower…

Three times a week (sometimes 4) I will run ? for an hr+

Yes… 2g of protein per lb of body weight

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
I am essentially training myself, so I need a lot of advice…

BUT I lift 6 times a week for and hour+ switching out body parts throughout the week, i hit my lower body more often because it is slower…

Three times a week (sometimes 4) I will run �� for an hr+

Yes… 2g of protein per lb of body weight
Your training sounds like a good start to me. I think 2g per pound is quite high, and most others on the forum will agree. There's no sense in going above 1.5g per pound AT THE MOST IMO, I think 1.2-1.3g per pound is more than sufficient. I would start by figuring out how many calories you're currently consuming. Since you eat the same meals every day, this should be pretty easy. Let us know once you figure out your total calorie intake each day.

As far as muscle gain and fat loss, its difficult to do both at the same time. If you are noticing muscle and strength gains, chances are you are eating in a calorie surplus. And since you're lifting, your body is using those extra calories to build muscle, but it explains why you aren't losing fat. I would assess your total calories and figure that out, and if your goal overall is fat loss then you need to be sure that you are eating less calories than you are consuming. This will mean adjusting your food intake and lowering your calories so your body will begin to use stored energy (fat) as fuel so the scale will start dropping.

There are some thermogenic products available to aid in fat loss, but I think you need to address your diet before considering any additional supplementation.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
John Patterson has given good advice. On this board you will read a lot about metabolic slow-down and "starvation" mode. While I'm not sure I totally believe this as much as others, I will say this. Whenever this seems to happen to people, it almost always appears that they are exercising to a greater amount than they really should need to, while restricting calories. I've had a theory for a while that exercise has a greater impact on metabolic slowdown than cutting calories, and low and behold, there is an article on the front page of AM today about why you won't lose weight through exercise alone - your body apparently adjusts its calorie expenditure as it gets used to exercise. While I also take this article with a grain of salt, there is anecdotal evidence all over this board of people exercising a lot, eating very little, and then just hitting a wall.

How long have you been dieting? You say you don't count macros - do you measure your food? Do you count calories?

If this were me, I'd take a week or two off and eat at or just above maintenance, and cut back on the exercise a little.

lynda

lynda

Awards
I have been watching my diet for two years. And by watching I mean literally eyeballing. I use my hand to measure my protein intake. I use the scoop to measure the powdered intake. cardio an hour in the morning… I eat oats w protein in the morning. I will eat pb on ezekiel bread couple of hours later then three eggs whites two hours from that. I will work out then afternoon will be a turkey meatloaf (palm of my hand serving) half a sw potato or rice… then a couple of hours later a protein bar and before I head home some nuts. Dinner will usually b a bison patty w avocado. Just a little bit of blue corn chips.

This sums up my every day routine.

lynda

lynda

Awards
Idk how Im supposed to cut calories cause Im always hungry.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Volume foods, and stay hydrated always.
Lots of produce is the common route for those struggling here.
Salads, peppers, cucumber, zucchini, all the leafy greens, broccoli...

You get the idea.

Definitely drop that protein below 2g/lb...

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Idk how Im supposed to cut calories cause Im always hungry.
I am suggesting you take a break from the dieting. Start weighing your food with a scale to get exact calorie counts and eat just above maintenance. Cut back on the exercise. Make sure you are getting plenty of sleep.