Supplements for Marathons

jgntyce

jgntyce

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Going to start training soon for a marathon. What supplements would serve best to boost endurance, promote recovery, and overall, be great for a distance runner?

Daycrawler

Awards
  • Established
CitMal is great in high doses for endurance, glycerol can be also. Besides that Amino acids are good in general and cordyceps

jgntyce

jgntyce

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
CitMal is great in high doses for endurance, glycerol can be also. Besides that Amino acids are good in general and cordyceps
What dosages and brands for those you mentioned?

Alex281

Alex281

Awards
  • Established
Baiba - 1g
Evomuse Cardiotryx
Cit.Malate - 8g
Epic Unleashed
Beta Alanine- 3.2g
C-o-p - 2g
E9 or Tr1umph
Stims like Dmaa or Amp c/hcl can be very helpful
Or if ur into RC - SR90009,AICAR,GW5015

jalfrey

jalfrey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Did someone say "cordyceps"?

We have a wide array of products aimed at endurance sports. Take a look at the page in my sig. If you're interested, don't forget the promo code I have in there either!

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I think any epicatechin product will be very beneficial in your training and increasing endurance as well as recovery. I would look at follidrone, anafuse, ep1c unleashed etc.

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Wont get any better than this. Everything you need to keep your training at 100% and recover from the grueling demands of long distance running

p5sky

p5sky

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Wont get any better than this. Everything you need to keep your training at 100% and recover from the grueling demands of long distance running
What product is it?

p5sky

p5sky

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I train for triathlons in summer and fall, including a half ironman. I bought bulk powders and added to powder Gatorade and aminos.

8g cit mal
3.2 beta alanine
5g taurine
2 cop
3g ? ornithine
6-10 gms

I would drink half pre workout and sip throughout the first half of training

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
EvoMuse Cardiotryx
Epicatechin
Cordyceps
Cit Mal

p5sky

p5sky

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
EvoMuse Cardiotryx
Epicatechin
Cordyceps
Cit Mal
Yeah, in addition to my bulk powders I've run epicatechin as well. I have to look into Cardiotryx.

Warthog13

Awards
Going to start training soon for a marathon. What supplements would serve best to boost endurance, promote recovery, and overall, be great for a distance runner?
FWIW I just completed my 10th marathon. Not that I'm setting any records but I swear by three supps.

The first is Beta Alanine. My preference is SNS.

2nd is Antaeus Labs Achilles - for the pounding my knees take.

3rd is creatine. I used to only take it when I was lifting but I felt it really helped my running, too. I'm on my phone so I can't get the details but there's a study published in 'Life Sciences' (if I remember correctly) about how creatine helped improves endurance runner times. I'll try and check back and link the study results.

One other recommendation - don't skimp on shoes. Have a specialty running shop analyze your form and recommend the proper shoe for your gait and foot strike. It will be worth every penny.

For which marathon are you training?

rodefeeh

rodefeeh

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I started using bulk CitMal last summer for my triathlon training. I felt it took it to any other level. Beta-Alanine is a no-brainer. Add in a PWO that is good in the focus department and your set! Personally I don't like creatine for endurance training. I feel the extra water weight I carry outweighs the benefits.

Daycrawler

Awards
  • Established
What dosages and brands for those you mentioned?
SNS for CitMal, beta alanine.

MST for cordyceps.

For aminos, Scivation xtend

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Did a half this fall and tried cardarine which nearly ruined my training... switched to epi-plex which helped a good bit.

jgntyce

jgntyce

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Did a half this fall and tried cardarine which nearly ruined my training... switched to epi-plex which helped a good bit.
Yea I tried cardarine as well for the endurance benefits. Tried 7mg all the way up to 21mg. Didn't work. Using epi-plex now and I have seen better endurance with this brand of epicatechin.

Warthog13

Awards
I started using bulk CitMal last summer for my triathlon training. I felt it took it to any other level. Beta-Alanine is a no-brainer. Add in a PWO that is good in the focus department and your set! Personally I don't like creatine for endurance training. I feel the extra water weight I carry outweighs the benefits.
I can certainly understand your point about the water weight and creatine.

The reason I first started taking it, though, was it seemed my recovery time for longer training runs was taking more time than last year. I googled ways to help speed recovery and stumbled upon this article abstract:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15306159

That's what led me to start taking it during my distance training. I did notice an improvement. I realize that's a sample size of 1 but that was my experience.

ericool007

ericool007

Awards
  • Established
cittrulline
beta-alanine
rhodiola rosea
cordyceps
epicatechin
cardarine