Rhodiola before bed?

BeardedBreast

BeardedBreast

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So GFXT hasn't been working as well as my previous stack of GABA/Valarian/ZMA.

So I've added 1g gaba to the gfxt and Swanson ksm-66.

I keep hearing that rhod goes well with ash, so thought I'd ask, before throwing it in the mix tonight.

ELROCK

ELROCK

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Rhodiola does go well with KSM-66 (ash.) but that is with a morning or afternoon dose. You don't really want to dose rhodiola pre-bed as it usually gives an energizing effect.

Volvo140G

Volvo140G

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've heard folks say no but ime it's been a non issue. I take my second 250 mg dose a few hours before bed.

Daycrawler

Awards
  • Established
So GFXT hasn't been working as well as my previous stack of GABA/Valarian/ZMA.

So I've added 1g gaba to the gfxt and Swanson ksm-66.

I keep hearing that rhod goes well with ash, so thought I'd ask, before throwing it in the mix tonight.
Sorry to hear that GFXT isn't treating you as well as you previous stash. Sadly, especially with sleep, everyone responds differently. Hope overall it's still a solid experience.

As for rhod, yes it does but I would take it an hour before bed if possible as it has a "mellowing" out effect.

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
For me, it depends on the dose of rhodiola. Lower doses (100-200 mg; 3% rosavins, 1% salidrosides) are very stimulating and give me insomnia if taken any later than around lunch time. However, I can take a higher dose (400-500 mg) right before bed and it helps knock me out.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
sure, you can try it out. As you can see from the responses, the effect rages depending on the individual, dose and timing. You will have to just play around with dose and timing to see if a combo works better for you

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Being an adaptogen, Rhodiola Rosea is one of the few supplementals pre-bed that helps with my sleep.

~Rosie~

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Rhodiola only when I need a nice sustained energy. It would be like a cup of coffee for me pre bed.

BeardedBreast

BeardedBreast

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I dropped my gfxt to 3 caps, gaba up to 1g, I cap Swanson ksm, and since I added the rhod, I've been getting some of the best sleep I have in months

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Plan on taking this 50mg AM and another 50mg later in the day. So around 100mg.
Any sides I need to be worried about?
Hear complaints about nausea and dizzy spells and that it feels like a stimulant...
Any feedback is welcomed.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It's different with each brand and the levels of rosavins and salidrosides. To get to the closest ratio that they generally do studies on, it needs to be 3/1. I prefer a higher salidrosides because I like the higher dopamine.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Just don't take too much, IIRC there's a Bell Curve response. Anything over 650mg(?) is counter-productive. I don't know how the %'s of Rosavins/Salidrosides comes into play. I think it was on Examine.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Just don't take too much, IIRC there's a Bell Curve response. Anything over 650mg(?) is counter-productive. I don't know how the %'s of Rosavins/Salidrosides comes into play. I think it was on Examine.
As far as human studies go, 13.5mg salidroside wasn't really more effective than 9mg in one study, but it wasn't less effective either.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It's not just the mg, it also the ratio. Lower amounts will provide the more favorable alert feeling and higher doses tend to cause drowsiness.

haiz69

haiz69

Awards
  • Established
Definitely need to appreciate the dose-response curve with rhodiola, which can be highly individual. I'd say test it out at a few different doses and see how you feel. It probably wouldn't be my first go-to for sleep, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if you found a dose that helped you relax and get some rest.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Agree, it definitely is not even in my top 10 for sleep, but can have the unpleasant side effect from too much. The problem is that it is not a relaxing, clear minded feeling, but more groggy and drugged in my experience.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Definitely need to appreciate the dose-response curve with rhodiola, which can be highly individual. I'd say test it out at a few different doses and see how you feel. It probably wouldn't be my first go-to for sleep, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if you found a dose that helped you relax and get some rest.
Yeah, there's not really much of a reason to go too crazy with the dose, especially at first. Pretty low doses can still yield very nice effects, both confirmed by anecdotes and studies.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Supplements 7
Supplements 3
bell1986 Supplements 13
Supplements 18
kingdong Supplements 3