Probiotic Strains

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have in the passed use them with great success. I have always used a (5 to 20 billion) multi strain cost effective generic CVS product. I have no complaints.

I would like to know what the educated consensus is on the most beneficial and effective strains and amounts (billions). I'm looking for education not products.

Please don't pimp or post products.

Thanks in advance.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
CVS Ultra Strength Probiotic

Proprietary Probiotic Blend:
Bifidobacterium Bifidum,
Bifidobacterium Breve,
Bifidobacterium Longum,
Lactobacillus Acidophilus,
Lactobacillus Casei,
Lactobacillus Paracasei,
Lactobacillus Rhamnosus,
Streptococcus Thermophilus

Mkgain1

Mkgain1

Awards
Personally I take a mild probiotic supplement right now, 14 billion cfu daily right now, but that's because I saw a HUGE improvement from just adding raw sauerkraut to my diet regularly. Got a good sauerkraut brand and you feel a huge difference imo I have 5oz with hardboiled eggs every night before bed and its been a game changer

Mkgain1

Mkgain1

Awards
Also I'm not sure how true, but from what I've looked at it seems that cfu count in whole foods (kimchi, kefir, sauerkraut, etc) blows away high cfu count probiotic supplements

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
there are a few interesting strains, L. planatarum & L. casei, are two that come to mind.

Also to note, cheaper isn't always better, The old adage, you get what you pay for, prolly rings true here.

https://nutritionj.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12937-015-0084-2

The bacteria enumeration revealed that with the exception of brand Bn, samples from all brands have bacteria amounts that are fewer than that claimed by their manufacturers (Fig. 1b). Most significant of these are samples from brands Bi, Bg and L which have viable bacteria of only 6 %, 22 % and 3 % of the amounts stated on their respective datasheets.

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I don't have the knowledge to speak about specific strains, but do have a history of GI issues, and have found this combination most effective (total of 15 billion CFU per day):

SACCHAROMYCES BOULARDII
LACTOBACILLUS PLANTARUM
BACILLUS SUBTILIS
Lactobacillus Paracasei
Bifidobacterium Longum
Bifidobacterium Bifidum
BIFIDOBACTERIUM BREVE
Bifidobacterium Lactis
Lactobacillus Acidophilus
LACTOBACILLUS CASEI
Lactobacillus Rhamnosus
Lactobacillus Salivarius
LACTOBACILLUS BREVIS

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
The two I take (once a week - I don't see how the xBillion I took yesterday have all disappeared) Both are on Wikipedia with far more info that I could relay here.

Lactobacillus Reuteri
Bacillus Coagulans

ucheoma

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Can someone please replay the benefits of probiotics. Any muscle building benefits or purely for gut/digestive health?

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Can someone please replay the benefits of probiotics. Any muscle building benefits or purely for gut/digestive health?
Sir, read this about L. Reuteri:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactobacillus_reuteri

General health

In young commercial livestock, such as turkey poults and piglets, body weight and growth rate are good indicators of the health of the animal. Animals raised in the dirty, crowded environments of commercial farms are generally less healthy (and therefore weigh less) than their counterparts born and bred in cleaner homes. In turkeys, for example, this phenomenon is known as "poult growth depression", or PGD.[48]

Supplementing the diets of these young farm animals with L. reuteri helps them to largely overcome the stresses imposed by their unhealthy habitats. Commercial turkeys fed L. reuteri from birth had nearly a 10% higher adult body weight than their peers raised in the same conditions.[49] A similar study on piglets showed L. reuteri is at least as effective as synthetic antibiotics in improving body weight under crowded conditions.[50]

The mechanism by which L. reuteri is able to support the healthy growth of these animals is not entirely understood. It possibly serves to protect livestock against illness caused by Salmonella typhimurium and other pathogens (see above), which are much more common in crowded commercial farms. However, other studies have revealed it can also help when the growth depression is caused entirely by a lack of dietary protein, and not by contagious disease.[51] This raises the possibility that L. reuteri somehow improves the intestines' ability to absorb and process nutrients.[12]
True in humans? No idea, but like I said, I take 1 per week - so $10 gets me over 6 months. Even if you drop to every 3.5 days it's a value to me.

ucheoma

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thats a huge leap. From poultry and piglets in depressed environments to assuming benefits may transfer to humans. I assume no human studies even if in vitro?

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
The probiotic with the best human data, and one that we routinely use in actual hospitals for patients with GI issues, is not even a bacterium.

Saccharomyces boulardii. The human data is incredible - diarrhea, constipation, IBS, C. diff., even peptic ulcer disease.

I use a hefty dose of Saccharomyces boulardii after an antibiotic course, and a low maintenance dose the rest of the time.

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Garden of Life Primal Defense Ultra is what I use.

I recently switched to Nordic Naturals Probiotic, huge mistake. Back on GOF Primal Defense Ultra, and things are getting back to normal finally.

Still, going to see a gastroenterologists tomorrow as I have had issues for quite some time now and need to figure out what the issue is, if any.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Thats a huge leap. From poultry and piglets in depressed environments to assuming benefits may transfer to humans. I assume no human studies even if in vitro?
Did you read the whole thing?

Clinical results in humans

Although L. reuteri occurs naturally in humans, it is not found in all individuals. Therefore, dietary supplementation is needed to introduce and maintain high levels of it in some people. Oral intake of L. reuteri has been shown to effectively colonize the intestine of healthy people; colonization begins rapidly within days of ingestion, although the levels in the body drop within several months after intake is stopped.[22] Furthermore, L. reuteri is found in breast milk,[23] and oral intake on the mother's part likewise increases the amount of L. reuteri present in her milk, and the likelihood that it will be transferred to the child's body.[24]

Once present in the body, L. reuteri benefits its host in a variety of ways, particularly by fighting off harmful infections and mediating the body's immune system.
No, nothing to do with muscle mass, but sounds pretty darn good to me anyway.

ucheoma

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Did you read the whole thing?

No, nothing to do with muscle mass, but sounds pretty darn good to me anyway.
Nope. Did look but don't have access to the full study. Study is a bit dated though going back 1995

perhaps next time lead/cut and paste extracts from any human study referenced rather than the livestock study? Also your post ended with the question : true in humans...? which led me to believe there was no human study in the article.

The reason I quizzed if possible use of l reuteri (or probiotics) could have a potential lean mass building benefit was because of this MIT mice study published a year or so ago
http://www.ergo-log.com/probiotic-lactobacillus-reuteri-atcc-6475-boosts-testosterone-synthesis.html

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Aside from the customary anecdotal benefits regarding digestion and gastrointestinal disturbances my secondary goal is to establish a health anti-cancer colo-rectal environment.

I'm predisposed as my father died from colon cancer and I've already had a precancerous edenoma removed several years ago. It's not if one returns it's just a matter of when. I'm not being paranoid rather proactive. I get regular colonoscopies so I'm not being an alarmist but if I'm going to take probiotics I might as when use something that is most effective at my goals

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2635701/

http://m.ajcn.nutrition.org/content/73/2/451s.full

I'll post more after my workout.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Pigs are actually great animal models for humans

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The probiotic with the best human data, and one that we routinely use in actual hospitals for patients with GI issues, is not even a bacterium.

Saccharomyces boulardii. The human data is incredible - diarrhea, constipation, IBS, C. diff., even peptic ulcer disease.

I use a hefty dose of Saccharomyces boulardii after an antibiotic course, and a low maintenance dose the rest of the time.
mr.cooper69 What are your thoughts in regard to colorectal microbial health and proactive anticancer treatment/supplementation?

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
mr.cooper69 What are your thoughts in regard to colorectal microbial health and proactive anticancer treatment/supplementation?
There is potential benefit. Colorectal cancer is fairly unique in that inflammation plays a relatively large role in its pathogenesis (there's a large human study on COX-2 and aspirin reducing risk of cancer). Deranged gut flora can cause inflammation chronically by rendering you unable to recycle macronutrient byproducts that are otherwise inflammatory to the gut lining. So by limiting infection and inflammation via probiotics, you can theoretically reduce cancer pathogenesis. It is as of yet unproven in humans though