How much Vitamin D daily?

ikeNball

ikeNball

Awards
  • Established
ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1452453497.944808.jpg

I'm currently just taking one of these daily w/ my AM supplements (Gut Health, fish oil, orange triad multi). It's 5000IU.

What do you knowledgeable homies recommend? Or is this sufficient? Thanks,

Ike

toddmuelheim

toddmuelheim

Awards
  • Established
Without bloodwork you're kind of just guessing

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards
Blood work first but id say take 2 a day 12 hrs apart. I take 5 2000iu little caps a day been doing this for awhile now.

cobri66

cobri66

Awards
I've been doing 5000 ..should spend the $50 and get online blood test kit

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards
I've been doing 5000 ..should spend the $50 and get online blood test kit
If your noticing good effects off 5000 keep it there no need to bump up. Thats y i grabbed the 2000ius in case i wanted to raise or lower it depending on other vit d intake for that day . As for the online blood test I've never used them.

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
An article on suppversity read that the majority of people need usually around 2000-4000 extra IU. If you don't want to get bloodwork, I think 5000IU is a safe guess.

dave39

dave39

Awards
  • Established
Lots of people don't get enough vitamin D, especially if you live in a seasonal state or province. Start with 1 of those pills per day, with food. Unless you suffer from seasonal depression you should be fine at 5000iu. I personally take 4000 per day and I live in Canada, lots of dark days.

mattierocks

mattierocks

Awards
  • Established
Lots of people don't get enough vitamin D, especially if you live in a seasonal state or province. Start with 1 of those pills per day, with food. Unless you suffer from seasonal depression you should be fine at 5000iu. I personally take 4000 per day and I live in Canada, lots of dark days.
This sounds right. I work indoors, it's dark here this time of year, etc, so I also take 5000iu daily. I'd been doing is for at least a couple of months, so my doctor tested my vitamin d levels. They were at the very low end of the acceptable range (39.1 ng/ml out of an acceptable range of 30-100.)

Before the blood work, I was just going based on how I felt. My normal course of supplementation, including the vitamin d, wasn't causing any nausea, g.i. issues and I felt fine, so I kept doing it. Fortunately the test validated what I was doing.

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
Blood work first but id say take 2 a day 12 hrs apart. I take 5 2000iu little caps a day been doing this for awhile now.
There is no reason to split the dose within the same day. There was actually a thread on here a while back that suggested a bolus does 1x/week is as effective at raising blood levels of Vit D as daily dosing.

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards
There is no reason to split the dose within the same day. There was actually a thread on here a while back that suggested a bolus does 1x/week is as effective at raising blood levels of Vit D as daily dosing.
So take 10000 ius in one shot ? I usually split up everything over the day . Let me research this idea amd the half life . Ill be back.

StatePlan1425

StatePlan1425

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
While I personally take OTC D3 in a single does daily, it is also available by prescription in a once monthly 50,000 IU dosage. While no need to go the route of the latter, it goes to the point that there is no need to divide in multiple daily doses.

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards
While I personally take OTC D3 in a single does daily, it is also available by prescription in a once monthly 50,000 IU dosage. While no need to go the route of the latter, it goes to the point that there is no need to divide in multiple daily doses.
So the boost isn't seen instantly as it absorbs over time ? I pre split all mine up i guess i could take all at once . Idk if there would be a difference. Is there any actual benefit from taking all at once ?

StatePlan1425

StatePlan1425

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
IMO, I believe the once monthly has more to do with patient compliance than enhanced efficacy. I am certainly open to being convinced otherwise but from my knowledge of D3, I don't believe one will see an acute effect or added benefit taking more than once daily. Nor do I believe (again, can be convinced otherwise) any advantages, other than ease of use, taking large does once weekly, fortnight, monthly, etc.

BTW, Hulk good luck on your goals this year. Look forward to your progress and always enjoy your insight/feedback.

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
IMO, I believe the once monthly has more to do with patient compliance than enhanced efficacy. I am certainly open to being convinced otherwise but from my knowledge of D3, I don't believe one will see an acute effect or added benefit taking more than once daily. Nor do I believe (again, can be convinced otherwise) any advantages, other than ease of use, taking large does once weekly, fortnight, monthly, etc.

BTW, Hulk good luck on your goals this year. Look forward to your progress and always enjoy your insight/feedback.
Interesting. You're the second one to dose 50000IU at once, then not take it for a week or more. I should read about this.

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards

Hell yes bro subb up and hang out . Im doing 365 natty . Should be easy . I got a ton of natty supps lined up as well . Diets in check and focusing more on weight loss than anything! !!! Thanks for the good words my friend.

dave39

dave39

Awards
  • Established
I've read studies of megadosing D3 as a one time treatment for seasonal depression patients. The patients continue taking daily prescribed amounts following the megadose.

It's an interesting topic with lots of different thoughts and opinions.

StatePlan1425

StatePlan1425

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
ma70, let me clarify my post as I worded poorly. I personally take the traditional once daily dose of OTC, 2000 IU. However, the 50,000 IU option once monthly was an option made available to me by my physician. I chose to stay with the OTC daily as it had become routine. Again, I believe the once monthly is more about compliance and less about enhanced efficacy.

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
ma70, let me clarify my post as I worded poorly. I personally take the traditional once daily dose of OTC, 2000 IU. However, the 50,000 IU option once monthly was an option made available to me by my physician. I chose to stay with the OTC daily as it had become routine. Again, I believe the once monthly is more about compliance and less about enhanced efficacy.
Well either way, it's worth thinking about. A respected/knowledgable member known as mr.cooper believed in doing the 50000IU thing.

StatePlan1425

StatePlan1425

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've read studies of megadosing D3 as a one time treatment for seasonal depression patients. The patients continue taking daily prescribed amounts following the megadose.

It's an interesting topic with lots of different thoughts and opinions.
This is a good point that warrants further thought.

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
I have a friend who has been prescribed by his HRT doc 50,000iu once weekly. Once monthly does not seem adequate for the majority of individuals.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Suppveristy just had a report on a Metaanalysis. Fatter you are, the more you need. Ranges were from 3,000 to 7,000 IIRC. Go check it out. I've been on 5k forever, with Life Extension Super K alongside.

StatePlan1425

StatePlan1425

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well either way, it's worth thinking about. A respected/knowledgable member known as mr.cooper believed in doing the 50000IU thing.
I was unaware of his opinion. This definitely warrants further analysis into his reasoning. If there are indeed performance advantages, in my personal case the script is there and dirt cheap.

Thanks mate!

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
I mentioned that, but didn't want to link because I forget if it's against the rules.
Without going back and reading, I don't think you can link to non-AM affiliated vendors for products. Research links are welcomed, I would hope - none of my SV links ever get censored.

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Suppveristy just had a report on a Metaanalysis. Fatter you are, the more you need. Ranges were from 3,000 to 7,000 IIRC. Go check it out. I've been on 5k forever, with Life Extension Super K alongside.
Life Extension makes a great looking Vitamin K supplement. My wife actually bought their Vitamins D and K (with Sea Iodine) supplement. Basically, I think it's just their Vitamin K supplement with 5,000 iu of D-3 and 1 mg of Sea Iodine added. I'm not sure why they added Sea Iodine to it though...or what benefit that high of a dose would have.

Last edited:
The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Life Extension makes a great looking Vitamin K supplement. My wife actually bought their Vitamins D and K (with Sea Iodine) supplement. Basically, I think it's just their Vitamin K supplement with 5,000 iu of D-3 and 1 g of Sea Iodine added. I'm not sure why they added Sea Iodine to it though...or what benefit that high of a dose would have.
I do supplemental Iodine, but DIY my own at 1mg every 3.5 days. I wouldn't want anything other than the standard 150mcg *every* day. Gotta be careful with Iodine. I think you definitely need more than 150mcg every day, unless you eat a lot of fish/seaweed, but I also think that the high-dose Iodoral people are as insane as the "you get all you need from bread/milk/salt" people.

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I do supplemental Iodine, but DIY my own at 1mg every 3.5 days. I wouldn't want anything other than the standard 150mcg *every* day. Gotta be careful with Iodine. I think you definitely need more than 150mcg every day, unless you eat a lot of fish/seaweed, but I also think that the high-dose Iodoral people are as insane as the "you get all you need from bread/milk/salt" people.
Thanks for the info. I'll see if I can talk her into just taking that supplement every 3 days or so and a regular D-3 supplement the other days.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Life Extension makes a great looking Vitamin K supplement. My wife actually bought their Vitamins D and K (with Sea Iodine) supplement. Basically, I think it's just their Vitamin K supplement with 5,000 iu of D-3 and 1 g of Sea Iodine added. I'm not sure why they added Sea Iodine to it though...or what benefit that high of a dose would have.
Have to be careful with iodine. I was low and my doctor suggested seaweed extract pills to raise. He was very specific in telling me to stop it and do blood tests after 60 days. He indicated that iodine can be overdosed.

Op, start with 5000 IU ED and get a blood test to verify you are in range.

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
For higher daily doses of Vitamin D (5,000 iu +), which form(s) of Vitamin K are best to supplement - K1, K2 (mk-4) or K2 (mk-7)? From the little I've read (and understood) it appears K2 (mk-4) has the most research behind it and that K2 (mk-7) is sometimes recommended only because it's believed that form stays active in the body longer.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
My "haven't looked in a while" memory says K1 = Clotting, K2 guards against Hypercalcemia, so I'd say K2 (Mk7 is easiest to find). That's why I picked that LEF Super K - it has it all and looked like a good bargain (90 day supply per bottle). But check Google on Hypercalcemia.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Without going back and reading, I don't think you can link to non-AM affiliated vendors for products. Research links are welcomed, I would hope - none of my SV links ever get censored.
Nope. We actually post SV articles on the main page.

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
For higher daily doses of Vitamin D (5,000 iu +), which form(s) of Vitamin K are best to supplement - K1, K2 (mk-4) or K2 (mk-7)? From the little I've read (and understood) it appears K2 (mk-4) has the most research behind it and that K2 (mk-7) is sometimes recommended only because it's believed that form stays active in the body longer.
I believe mk7 is the preferred form of K (personally I use MenaQ7) so if a person were to use only one form of K this would be best IMO.

StatePlan1425

StatePlan1425

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've stated this before but I personally take MK4 since it is available in the amounts I want to take (currently at 15mg/d) MK7 is typically in the mcg range so impractical for my needs. However, both brands I alternate have started including MK7 as well.

One thing to note: if you choose MK4, dosing schedule DOES come into play. Half life is shorter than MK7 so multiple dosing per day is recommended. May sway you toward MK7 depending on goals/needs.