The Massive Glucosamine and Chondroitin Scam

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Glucosamine and chondroitin act as precursors to the formation of connective tissue. Most research on glucosamine focuses on the knee joint; often these studies are conducted in individuals over the age of 65, with a very specific disorder, osteoarthritis of the knee joint. This is hardly relevant to actively training individuals like yourselves, and in cases more relevant to us (like back pain, shoulder pain, etc.), glucosamine does absolutely nothing (1). In fact, chondroitin itself possesses under 30% bioavailability (2). A large meta-analysis of chondroitin use found that its effects were virtually non-existent (3).

In addition, a 24 month, double-blind study conducted in humans showed that a combination of glucosamine and chondroitin did not have a significant effect in treating knee osteoarthritis. The biggest strength of this study was that it had an extremely large sample size (n=662), in adittion to also using a large dose of both ingredients in the treatment group (4).

Another study with a sample size of 1500+ people found that over the course of 24 weeks, solo supplementation with glucosamine, chondroitin, and the combination of the two had no significant effect on treating pain associated with knee osteoarthritis (5).

So even after all this, why are supplement companies still using Glucosamine and Chondroitin? Monkey-see, monkey-do I guess.

References

1. Wilkens, Philip, Inger B. Scheel, Oliver Grundnes, Christian Hellum, and Kjersti Storheim. "Effect of Glucosamine on Pain-Related Disability in Patients With Chronic Low Back Pain and Degenerative Lumbar Osteoarthritis." Jama 304.1 (2010): 45. Web.

2. Conte A, Volpi N, Palmieri L, Bahous I, Ronca G. (1995). Biochemical and pharmacokinetic aspects of oral treatment with chondroitin sulfate" Arzneimittelforschung. 45:918-25.

3. Reichenbach, S., Sterchi, R., Scherer, M., et al. (2007). Meta-analysis: chondroitin for osteoarthritis of the knee or hip. Ann Intern Med. 146(8):580-90.

4. Sawitzke, A., Shi, Helen., Finco, M., et al. (2010). Clinical efficacy and safety of glucosamine, chondroitin sulphate, their combination, celecoxib or placebo taken to treat osteoarthritis of the knee: 2-year results from GAIT. Ann Rheum Dis. 69:1459-1464.

5. Clegg, D. O., Reda, D. J., Harris, C. L., Klein, M. A., OʼDell, J. R., Hooper, M. M., Bradley, J. D., et al. (2006). Glucosamine, chondroitin sulfate, and the two in combination for painful knee osteoarthritis. The New England journal of medicine, 354(8), 795-808.

NewAgeMayan

Awards
Have you read anything on the purported arterial benefits of chondroitin? Witchdoctory?

The claims are that it is very effective in regards to plaque removal and formation inhibition/prevention (crudely).

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
That study size.
Not often to see that on here,
But joint problems are more mainstream than bodybuilders chasing muscle growth I guess.

Thanks for the share brother.

Guess what ingredients are not going to be in GenoFlex... Lol

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Glucosamine and chondroitin act as precursors to the formation of connective tissue. Most research on glucosamine focuses on the knee joint; often these studies are conducted in individuals over the age of 65, with a very specific disorder, osteoarthritis of the knee joint. This is hardly relevant to actively training individuals like yourselves, and in cases more relevant to us (like back pain, shoulder pain, etc.), glucosamine does absolutely nothing (1). In fact, chondroitin itself possesses under 30% bioavailability (2). A large meta-analysis of chondroitin use found that its effects were virtually non-existent (3).

In addition, a 24 month, double-blind study conducted in humans showed that a combination of glucosamine and chondroitin did not have a significant effect in treating knee osteoarthritis. The biggest strength of this study was that it had an extremely large sample size (n=662), in adittion to also using a large dose of both ingredients in the treatment group (4).

Another study with a sample size of 1500+ people found that over the course of 24 weeks, solo supplementation with glucosamine, chondroitin, and the combination of the two had no significant effect on treating pain associated with knee osteoarthritis (5).

So even after all this, why are supplement companies still using Glucosamine and Chondroitin? Monkey-see, monkey-do I guess.

References

1. Wilkens, Philip, Inger B. Scheel, Oliver Grundnes, Christian Hellum, and Kjersti Storheim. "Effect of Glucosamine on Pain-Related Disability in Patients With Chronic Low Back Pain and Degenerative Lumbar Osteoarthritis." Jama 304.1 (2010): 45. Web.

2. Conte A, Volpi N, Palmieri L, Bahous I, Ronca G. (1995). Biochemical and pharmacokinetic aspects of oral treatment with chondroitin sulfate" Arzneimittelforschung. 45:918-25.

3. Reichenbach, S., Sterchi, R., Scherer, M., et al. (2007). Meta-analysis: chondroitin for osteoarthritis of the knee or hip. Ann Intern Med. 146(8):580-90.

4. Sawitzke, A., Shi, Helen., Finco, M., et al. (2010). Clinical efficacy and safety of glucosamine, chondroitin sulphate, their combination, celecoxib or placebo taken to treat osteoarthritis of the knee: 2-year results from GAIT. Ann Rheum Dis. 69:1459-1464.

5. Clegg, D. O., Reda, D. J., Harris, C. L., Klein, M. A., OʼDell, J. R., Hooper, M. M., Bradley, J. D., et al. (2006). Glucosamine, chondroitin sulfate, and the two in combination for painful knee osteoarthritis. The New England journal of medicine, 354(8), 795-808.
Thanks! I'm glad you are doing write ups(even though this may not be technically be a write up), like we requested.

I have heard that the arthritis like pain associated with heavy HGH use is due to not have enough precursors to connective tissue like glucosamine, chondroitin, etc and not consuming enough calcium to compensate for large amounts of calcium that HGH uses. And that supplementing with high doses of these thing can prevent this issue. They also said that it wont reverse it after it has occurred by will prevent it. What are your opinion on that?

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Interesting read, and something that I suspect many users of these two ingredients already knew first-hand, even though everyone says it is what you should be taking.

Now that you've told us what doesn't work and pointed out a problem, do you have a solution to share? Sorry if that comes across as being either a jerk or a shill - I'm just curious.

Tmac29

Awards
Which version was studied? I keep hearing that Sulfate is much, much better than HCL.

Robert5891

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm hoping GenoFlex doesn't use either of those.

ahawk01

ahawk01

Banned
Awards
It won't probably one of the reasons posted. I've found out after testing a bunch joint and anti inflammatory ingredients the ais help me much more than glocusomine and such.

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Have you read anything on the purported arterial benefits of chondroitin? Witchdoctory?

The claims are that it is very effective in regards to plaque removal and formation inhibition/prevention (crudely).
TBH I wouldn't put much faith into it. If you want, send me the studies and I can look them over

That study size.
Not often to see that on here,
But joint problems are more mainstream than bodybuilders chasing muscle growth I guess.

Thanks for the share brother.

Guess what ingredients are not going to be in ErgoFlex... Lol
Hehe, nope

Thanks! I'm glad you are doing write ups(even though this may not be technically be a write up), like we requested.

I have heard that the arthritis like pain associated with heavy HGH use is due to not have enough precursors to connective tissue like glucosamine, chondroitin, etc and not consuming enough calcium to compensate for large amounts of calcium that HGH uses. And that supplementing with high doses of these thing can prevent this issue. They also said that it wont reverse it after it has occurred by will prevent it. What are your opinion on that?
That is just a bunch of broscience. Also, I will be releasing a berberine write up within 2 weeks, then theanine.

Interesting read, and something that I suspect many users of these two ingredients already knew first-hand, even though everyone says it is what you should be taking.

Now that you've told us what doesn't work and pointed out a problem, do you have a solution to share? Sorry if that comes across as being either a jerk or a shill - I'm just curious.
Not a jerk or shill at all mate, don't sweat it. Threads are a discussion for all of us, where we can ask each other things. I have a few write ups coming soon regarding this topic (by the end of feb), but I will do berberine and theanine first since I promised people those a while ago :)

Nope, never!

carmaf

carmaf

Awards
  • Established
Yeah Glucosamine never did anything for me other than it made me fart up a storm BIG time. That's why I had to overlook the SNS Joint Support XT, can't be having those deadly gasses anymore......bad for the environment.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Subbed for more information. I've been using glucosamine in three forms for years - starting as I became very active in martial arts and was experiencing joint pain. I can tell you that when I've stopped taking glucosamine the "clicking" and "snapping" in the knees and ankles returns. This is not "scientific" but a fact for me. In addition, there are other studies that say the opposite of this study - as all studies do. As an example:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/glucosamine/evidence/HRB-20059572

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Not a jerk or shill at all mate, don't sweat it. Threads are a discussion for all of us, where we can ask each other things. I have a few write ups coming soon regarding this topic (by the end of feb), but I will do berberine and theanine first since I promised people those a while ago :)
THE END OF FEBRUARY!??? BUT I WANT IN NOOOOOWWW!

CATdiesel76

CATdiesel76

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Never noticed anything with Either so not surprised. Thanks for the writeup. Only joint stuff I take that has seemed to do anything is Cissus, a good Curcumin product, fish oil, and some Joint Products such as Achilles and Joint Force.

Heard good things about big MSM doses in a topical DMSO solution but can't personally vouch for that

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Subbed for more information. I've been using glucosamine in three forms for years - starting as I became very active in martial arts and was experiencing joint pain. I can tell you that when I've stopped taking glucosamine the "clicking" and "snapping" in the knees and ankles returns. This is not "scientific" but a fact for me. In addition, there are other studies that say the opposite of this study - as all studies do. As an example:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/glucosamine/evidence/HRB-20059572

2 rank B and every other claim was essentially "unsure" *shrug* sorry mayo clinic, not convinced ;)

But anecdotal feedback in your case matters, if it works it works

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
2 rank B and every other claim was essentially "unsure" *shrug* sorry mayo clinic, not convinced ;)

But anecdotal feedback in your case matters, if it works it works
Whats the rating for amentoflavone?

Haha

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Whats the rating for amentoflavone?

Haha
Not sure, not relevant, and I wouldn't use mayo clinic to investigate my supplement choices.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Not sure, I wouldn't use mayo clinic to investigate my supplement choices though.
Perhaps not, but the work is cited with references toward the end.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
I guess I just don't see why that is pertinent or meriting mention here?

Really it's just keeping a thread bumped which I thought companies using these ingredients might not want to.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards