What not to take pre-, intra- or post-workout?

HITFrank

HITFrank

Awards
  • Established
Reading a lot about not taking some vitamins around workouts, like Vitamin C and E! Some say electrolytes should not be taken either!

Any truth to this? Can actually some pre-workouts make your workout less effective?

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
To oversimplify the topic, I do not think something that inhibits inflammation should be taken pre-workout. This includes most vitamins/antioxidants. I remember reading a very good article on this very topic from Bill Willis, if I remember correctly. I will see if I can find it.

jamesrick80

Awards
I do not take electrolytes pre-workout but for post-workout due to gastric side effects. Also, I would not recommend taking vitamins a hour before you workout either since you do won't your muscles to be partially damaged so they can repair and grow. If you take vitamins, inflammation may be somewhat prevented but not fully.

Mkgain1

Mkgain1

Awards
If you're taking nitrates pre w/o I think it's pretty necessary to take vitamin c. But I try to make my diet fulfill my multi vitamin

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
If you're taking nitrates pre w/o I think it's pretty necessary to take vitamin c. But I try to make my diet fulfill my multi vitamin
This is correct. 100mg seems to be adequate in this case.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
To oversimplify the topic, I do not think something that inhibits inflammation should be taken pre-workout. This includes most vitamins/antioxidants. I remember reading a very good article on this very topic from Bill Willis, if I remember correctly. I will see if I can find it.
I don't believe this.

Mkgain1

Mkgain1

Awards
The way I see it, whether you take nothing pre workout, or you take everything under the sun (figuratively speaking) as long as you go in the gym and give 100% and your diet is indicative of your goals you can do no wrong. Just go in, work your a$$ off and feed your body

clk

clk

Awards
The way I see it, whether you take nothing pre workout, or you take everything under the sun (figuratively speaking) as long as you go in the gym and give 100% and your diet is indicative of your goals you can do no wrong. Just go in, work your a$$ off and feed your body
I agree. Focusing too much on this pre, intra, and post workout ordeal ends you on a long convoluted road with a lot of money spent. I used to blow a ton of money on supps. Every new wiz bang supplement that came out had me sold. Now I don't take anything other than creatine, protein, and fish oil. My best supplement is food. It's not that complicated.

HITFrank

HITFrank

Awards
  • Established
I would be interested in reading that article.

Not a guy a lot of you listen too, but Kiefer doesn't recommend anything pre- og intra., but wait a hour after the workout to take your protein so the "workout-signaling" can get a chance to do its magic!

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
I don't believe this.
Ben Palkulski, not that I think he his the brains behind much of his philisophies, and the members of his MI40 "team" also preach much of the same philosophy. They just had a You Tube video related to this topic.

I understand there are always a difference of opinion, but logically in my opinion it would seem to make sense to not blunt the affects from the training response. At the end of the day will this have a great limit/benefit on one's overall growth response, perhaps not, but if it is optimal then for me it makes sense to avoid those things. Especially since I can use them later in the day for the same benefits.

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
I would be interested in reading that article.

Not a guy a lot of you listen too, but Kiefer doesn't recommend anything pre- og intra., but wait a hour after the workout to take your protein so the "workout-signaling" can get a chance to do its magic!
I will admit I did not take the time to read this article, as I do not have the time at the moment, but I believe this is the same article.
http://www.strengthsensei.com/rethinking-the-role-of-antioxydants-in-sports/

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ben Palkulski, not that I think he his the brains behind much of his philisophies, and the members of his MI40 "team" also preach much of the same philosophy. They just had a You Tube video related to this topic.

I understand there are always a difference of opinion, but logically in my opinion it would seem to make sense to not blunt the affects from the training response. At the end of the day will this have a great limit/benefit on one's overall growth response, perhaps not, but if it is optimal then for me it makes sense to avoid those things. Especially since I can use them later in the day for the same benefits.
That name means nothing to me. You don't get stronger from inflammation, you get stronger from lifting progressively heavier weights. Taking some OTC product that lowers inflammation isn't going to make any difference. But I mean believe what you want, if you think avoid anti-inflammatory products around training is going to help with your progression than go ahead and avoid them.

HITFrank

HITFrank

Awards
  • Established
That name means nothing to me. You don't get stronger from inflammation, you get stronger from lifting progressively heavier weights. Taking some OTC product that lowers inflammation isn't going to make any difference. But I mean believe what you want, if you think avoid anti-inflammatory products around training is going to help with your progression than go ahead and avoid them.
Doesn't ARA work through increased inflammation/increased signaling?

Suppversity quoted a study showing that Vitamin C and E taken before a workout, did hinder gains!

Alan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Coop summed up his thoughts on vitamin C on this site a while back:

I'll make it simple in this case: don't dose it periworkout. Don't exceed 500mg in a single dose. And do not even bother using it unless you are overtrained, recovering from some sort of collagenous injury, eat virtually no fruits/veggies, use nitrate salts, or have endothelial dysfunction

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
I do not think I said you would get stronger from inflammation itself?

No worries. I am not here to argue with you about this or argue over semantics. No doubt you are knowledgeable on the topic of nutrition and supplements. I just wanted to point out there is some research out there to substantiate my comments, they are not just off the cuff bull**** statements, but as you said, in regards to the real world results, the difference may not be significant regardless of what the research might possibly suggest.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I do not think I said you would get stronger from inflammation itself?

No worries. I am not here to argue with you about this or argue over semantics. No doubt you are knowledgeable on the topic of nutrition and supplements. I just wanted to point out there is some research out there to substantiate my comments, they are not just off the cuff bull**** statements, but as you said, in regards to the real world results, the difference may not be significant regardless of what the research might possibly suggest.
Agreed. Thanks. We need more guys like you on this forum. I like to be able to disagree with some things without guys turning it into some kind of internet war trying to prove themselves right. Reps!