PPAR-gamma agonist/antagonist questions?

hsk

Awards
  • Established
Would a supplement that exhibits ppar-gamma antagonist activity such as berberine or CLA be canceled out by co-administration of another supplement that exhibits ppar-agonist activity such as cinnamon?

So for example...glycobol contains both berberine and cinnamon. Since berberine is a ppar-gamma antagonist and cinnamon is a ppar-gamma agonist...do they cancel each other out? Or is there something more to it i am missing?

Mkgain1

Mkgain1

Awards
If I'm not mistaken the two work synergistically together as the cinnamon boosts bioavailability of berberine and makes it "more potent" I believe I saw some studies dictating that a while back, someone correct me if I'm wrong though.. Or elaborate on the topic

NoAddedHmones

NoAddedHmones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Would a supplement that exhibits ppar-gamma antagonist activity such as berberine or CLA be canceled out by co-administration of another supplement that exhibits ppar-agonist activity such as cinnamon?

So for example...glycobol contains both berberine and cinnamon. Since berberine is a ppar-gamma antagonist and cinnamon is a ppar-gamma agonist...do they cancel each other out? Or is there something more to it i am missing?
Thats way over simplfying a very complex pathway. PPAR's agonist/antagonist have very different effects in different parts of the body. For example Sesamol is a PPARy agonist, yet has an anti-adipogenic effects on human mesenchymal stem cells. (ie prevents new fat cells forming)

regdabyenoh

Awards
This is the reason this forum is better than any out there, Things are actually discussed :)

hsk

Awards
  • Established
I am specifically interested on their opposing ppar-gamma activity in adipocytes when taken together and how that will affect fat storage and or fat loss.

Mkgain1

Mkgain1

Awards
I'm interested in this too I've been looking into GDA's a lot more lately, there was some previous threads on here I saw from a while back with great information. I'd like to see some more knowledgeable people hop into this

NoAddedHmones

NoAddedHmones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I am specifically interested on their opposing ppar-gamma activity in adipocytes when taken together and how that will affect fat storage and or fat loss.
Okay, still a very difficult thing to answer, or maybe im just not smart enough (more likely) but if two separate compounds targeted the same PPARy receptor on adipocytes it would come down to which compound has higher inhibitory or activation effect based on dosage and affinity to the receptor which again is very individual compound specific.

hsk

Awards
  • Established
Okay, still a very difficult thing to answer, or maybe im just not smart enough (more likely) but if two separate compounds targeted the same PPARy receptor on adipocytes it would come down to which compound has higher inhibitory or activation effect based on dosage and affinity to the receptor which again is very individual compound specific.
This is the exact same conclusion I originally came to, which is why I posted this question, so that someone more knowledgeable than myself might be able to elaborate further.