Bench Press and Massive Headache

K

kpeaceoutbye

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys,

So whenever I do flat benching, and ONLY flat benching, I tend to get a massive headache/migraine after the first few working sets. I have no issues on any other kind of exercise so I am thinking it's my positioning? I am properly hydrated, eat before lifting, breath properly, etc. I bench with a decent arch, keeping shoulders tight etc (I do powerlifting).

The only supps I take pre-workout are Conqu3r, caffeine, ArA, PA, and 3 caps of iForce KNO3 for nitrates. Do you think it's many the nitrates?? Next bench session I'm going to try cutting out the KNO3 before bench to see if that makes a difference.

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Could be too high of a dose on nitrates and/or the ArA.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
That's a real thing? Thank God I don't get them!
It is :) it affects some more thsn others. A lower dose for 2-3 days helps it out

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Do you ever have issues any other time even outside of training? Headaches or feeling light-headed when standing up possibly?

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I use to have exactly this. I got it on bench and leg press only, about 3 months each for two consecutive years. I never dialed it down though, and it hasn't happened In a year and a half. The only difference between now and then is I now take allergy meds. All other supplementation is the same. Curious if you find the cause.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I would agree. it's probably a combination of high BP and ARA and then when you're pressing and laying down and all the blood going to your head and pressure will give you a headache

K

kpeaceoutbye

Awards
  • Established
Well, I've done two ArA runs before... and I get no issues outside of the gym or with ANY other type of movement in the gym besides flat benching. And I believe this was happening regardless of my ArA run or not.

I'm going to get my blood pressure checked and let you know the results. Also, next bench workout I won't take the nitrates pre-workout and see if that makes any type of difference. Idk where I read this, but someone said to drink electrolytes pre-workout and see if it helps (but I am very, very hydrated so not sure what that will do, but I can try to drink some Gatorade pre-workout next time too).

123abcabcabc

123abcabcabc

Awards
Well, I've done two ArA runs before... and I get no issues outside of the gym or with ANY other type of movement in the gym besides flat benching. And I believe this was happening regardless of my ArA run or not.

I'm going to get my blood pressure checked and let you know the results. Also, next bench workout I won't take the nitrates pre-workout and see if that makes any type of difference. Idk where I read this, but someone said to drink electrolytes pre-workout and see if it helps (but I am very, very hydrated so not sure what that will do, but I can try to drink some Gatorade pre-workout next time too).
Maybe your blood sugar is low.

cheeky1

cheeky1

Awards
  • Established
If bloods provide no solution get your neck checked for alignment. The stress at bottom of press forces scapula tension for stability, if there's any misalignment in the shoulders or upper back it may place pressure on the cervical vertebrae & accordingly additional tension on the soft tissues - which will train upwards & clamp down on your skull.

Forget Gatorade, that stuff is so full of rubbish it's not funny. The Potassium may be of assistance in combatting fatigue induced cramp, but you really want a good dose of magnesium (200mg in citrate form is good) to alleviate muscle spasm. Try taking that pre & post workout.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
If bloods provide no solution get your neck checked for alignment. The stress at bottom of press forces scapula tension for stability, if there's any misalignment in the shoulders or upper back it may place pressure on the cervical vertebrae & accordingly additional tension on the soft tissues - which will train upwards & clamp down on your skull.

Forget Gatorade, that stuff is so full of rubbish it's not funny. The Potassium may be of assistance in combatting fatigue induced cramp, but you really want a good dose of magnesium (200mg in citrate form is good) to alleviate muscle spasm. Try taking that pre & post workout.

Agreed. I get headaches routinely from benching..even using the Hammerstrength bench and it is due to thoracic and cervical misalignment. If I don't get chiropracty done on a regular basis, benching and upperback work become a source of torture.

K

kpeaceoutbye

Awards
  • Established
Okay, so I did my blood pressure first thing this morning and it read 132 over 64. I guess it's not so bad. Now I'm wondering if a chiropractor would be worth it. If you're saying there is something wrong with a misalignment, would a chiropractor simply just "crack" my back to realign it or something like that? No surgery needed, right?

Agreed. I get headaches routinely from benching..even using the Hammerstrength bench and it is due to thoracic and cervical misalignment. If I don't get chiropracty done on a regular basis, benching and upperback work become a source of torture.
Torture as in you get headaches as well?

cheeky1

cheeky1

Awards
  • Established
Okay, so I did my blood pressure first thing this morning and it read 132 over 64. I guess it's not so bad. Now I'm wondering if a chiropractor would be worth it. If you're saying there is something wrong with a misalignment, would a chiropractor simply just "crack" my back to realign it or something like that? No surgery needed, right?

Torture as in you get headaches as well?
I'm not a big fan of the crack & run technique, not with the neck anyway. Find an experienced chiro/osteo/physio who can check you for misalignment & manipulate as is required. It may work instantly or it may take a few sessions. Definitely do not wait though, not with that area & those symptoms. There's a good chance that whatever is causing the problem will begin to affect other tissues groups too, everything is connected.

A

Ameyer9

Awards
Have you tried breathing when you bench?

J

John_T

Awards
This is good info... I had this same problem years ago. Doctors actually did MRI looking for aneurysm(sp?) Not to worry you, but they went away after a while . Had a similar headache one time Doing deadlifts. Keep us posted please

K

kpeaceoutbye

Awards
  • Established
I've been doing more of a powerlifting bench (big brace at top and don't exhale until end of rep), but last night I did more of a bodybuilding bench (exhaling when pushing the bar off the chest). Maybe it helped a little bit, but I'll have to see during my paused bench day on Friday where it comes out the most. I also didn't take nitrates on bench day, so I'll try that again on Friday, too.

KimChee75

KimChee75

Awards
I would monitor your BP..I have hypertension that's controlled, but I just stopped benching this year...doing bench press can be extremely hard on the walls in your brain...you need to be very aware of this if this is what's happening..hopefully it's just one of the explanations above..

S

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'd guess blood pressure. However I've had some insane pressure benching (powerlifting and equipped) where I couldn't see and could barely hear during the lift. I also blew out the blood vessels in my eyes. So the body can take a good amount of pressure and bp spikes under load are normal.

How is your set up?

cheeky1

cheeky1

Awards
  • Established
I'd guess blood pressure. However I've had some insane pressure benching (powerlifting and equipped) where I couldn't see and could barely hear during the lift. I also blew out the blood vessels in my eyes. So the body can take a good amount of pressure and bp spikes under load are normal.

How is your set up?
Damn! That's pushing haaard! How long was the recovery from the eye injury & what did it involve, if you don't mind me asking?

I had a guy at the gym tell me his father went a little too cocky at a big squat number & actually prolapsed his rectum. :eek:mfg: Another reason for me to avoid squatting...

S

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Damn! That's pushing haaard! How long was the recovery from the eye injury & what did it involve, if you don't mind me asking?

I had a guy at the gym tell me his father went a little too cocky at a big squat number & actually prolapsed his rectum. :eek:mfg: Another reason for me to avoid squatting...
Took about a week for the blood to go away, and you don't do anything man. Blowing blood vessels and bloody noses is just apart of the game. As you get stronger and more efficient you will get tighter and bp will get higher.

That is no reason to avoid squatting lol, that's pretty rare honestly.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Admin Articles 0
Admin Articles 5
S Training Forum 32
Sage0607 Training Forum 43
J Training Forum 3