Adaptogens?

halljo

halljo

Awards
I've read a few posts about adaptogens, but I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around the use of them. One thing says they are for energy/stims, the next says for repair, then another says good for recovery. I know there's different types and companies that put them out at different potency levels... is there a one stop shop for learning about what each one does and which are most beneficial?

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've read a few posts about adaptogens, but I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around the use of them. One thing says they are for energy/stims, the next says for repair, then another says good for recovery. I know there's different types and companies that put them out at different potency levels... is there a one stop shop for learning about what each one does and which are most beneficial?
I know some people will mock me for this, but Examine is pretty accurate with this stuff (adaptogens like Ashwagandha, Rhodiola, Bacopa)

Hockeyaus33

Hockeyaus33

Awards
  • Established
I know some people will mock me for this, but Examine is pretty accurate with this stuff (adaptogens like Ashwagandha, Rhodiola, Bacopa)

Examine is A+ for info on stuff

test112

Awards
  • Established
When the topic of adaptogens comes up, I'm surprised that ginseng doesn't get mentioned much. I don't have any strong opinions about it but there are lots of studies for the various forms (panax, american and siberian/eleuthero) and seemingly a lot of good data on the effects.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
I don't think you will find anywhere giving comparative review, each adaptogen has a fairly unique effect on the user (at least on me)

There is not much they aren't good for, and newer studies are just showing that more and more. Give KSM-66 a run and you will probably fall in love.

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
When the topic of adaptogens comes up, I'm surprised that ginseng doesn't get mentioned much. I don't have any strong opinions about it but there are lots of studies for the various forms (panax, american and siberian/eleuthero) and seemingly a lot of good data on the effects.
I think because it doesn't seem exoitic enough since it hit the spotlight ages ago

test112

Awards
  • Established
I think because it doesn't seem exoitic enough since it hit the spotlight ages ago
True, but then again pretty much all of the 'latest and greatest' ones all have long histories of traditional use before modern science came along.

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
True, but then again pretty much all of the 'latest and greatest' ones all have long histories of traditional use before modern science came along.
Just saying why it doesn't get too much hype on the forums :) I certainly agree with your original post

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
I wouldn't worry too much about the people that mock Examine.

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I agree with everyone else that Examine is an awesome resource. It's nice having all (or at least most) of the studies consolidated on one site for easy access/review.

hbspeed88

hbspeed88

Awards

Check out my post on the science behind rhodiola rosea. It should help you a bit more on understanding the science behind adaptogens.

I can't post links yet due to my post count, but the title is "Speedy Science with Hbspeed88 #1: Rhodiola Rosea"

Additionally, adaptogens are still being explored and studied. Mechanisms are still being discovered and effects are not fully understood. There is quite a bit of data out there though on adaptogens like ashwagandha, rhodiola, bacopa, etc.... I came across a study just a few days ago that looked at the hundreds of genes that get regulated following rhodiola ingestion. That study is a demonstration of how much we have yet to learn on these sorts of things and how we can optimize them for medicinal use in the future, etc.

When looking for the "most potent" extract, you should be looking at standardization of different bioactive compounds. For example, two of the most studied bioactives in rhodiola are salidrosides and rosavins. Most extracts are standardized at 3% rosavins/ 1% salidrosides. These rosavins and salidrosides have different effects at the biological level which make them more effective than other compounds found in the rhodiola plant.

Scientists are attempting to look at which bioactives are the most biologically active and induce the most beneficial effects. Nutraceutical companies, etc can then standardize the most potent bioactive compound concentrations by altering extraction methods to give consumers a product that optimizes biological effects.

Make sense? Let me know if you have any more questions on this sort of thing.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Supplements 24
Supplements 31
Supplements 6
Nootropics 12
Supplements 13